What ruined Tony's career? (Informal Poll)

Getting old. He looks old in there. Things that worked in the past like his chokes or volume striking are weaker now.

im going to guess injuries. he was noticeably skinny in his last 3 fights. still my champ

Lack of any fundamental base, now that he doesn't have the athleticism or vigor from the past , he needs a strong set of reliable skills to lean on.

He never learned legitimate striking defense, never learned how to box effectively, and now it's a steep fall down.

Your not going to be 29 forever, so you need to start learning real skills that'll help carry you along at an advanced age, every single pro fighter should know how to throw an effective jab to help setup their potential offense but also to help win rounds and keep these young aggressive fighters off of you. You don't need to have the best head movement in the world, but learn how to adapt an elite jab into your arsenal before it's too late.
Are you sure we saw the same fight? It was a complete grappling match. He probably still believed he could do it from the back like he did against lesser fighters. He needs to get a better TDD because you never want to be on your back especially if it's top grappler.

The wire and Gaethje beatdown combined. Khabib noticed Ferguson was moving unusual in his fight against Gaethje. He looked off since the wire accident.

was it
a) having his soul taken by Justin Gaethje at UFC 249
b) Connor or Khabib for ruining any chance at an undisputed LW title
c) the wire he tripped over 6 days before UFC 223
d) something else? discuss.
Wing Chun

Not listening to anyone but himself. Getting into a good gym and putting your faith in a good coach will help him see from a 3rd perspective.

Are you sure we saw the same fight? It was a complete grappling match. He probably still believed he could do it from the back like he did against lesser fighters. He needs to get a better TDD because you never want to be on your back especially if it's top grappler.
This fight had much less to do about grappling than one might assume. The real issue is that tony has shown terrible distance control and footwork to avoid being against the cage or having Dariush underneath him attempting to grapple in the first place.

Yes, Tony has shown shaky TDD, yes he’s struggling to get back to his feet. But the real issue is that when you take away the flash, he has nothing to keep his opponents from disrespecting his striking and coming right down the center for clinches and takedowns.

In the past his relentless forward pressure could make up for this, but his hesitation has completely halted his ability to win fights. His TDD has always been exploitable, but he created so much chaos to force bad shots, make opponents second guess themselves, and put them on the back foot to have success.

Tony has nothing in his skill set to put anyone on the back foot, especially now that he’s less willing to march forward and throw caution to the wind. It's not just the grappling, if Dariush wanted to stand and bang, Ferguson would've been highly susceptible to the strait left and would've been battered.

Giving your hips to your opponent, turning away from your opponent, hands down, freely giving up octagon control, continuing to throw one strike then squaring up afterwards to be hit. This is basic stuff that he got away with for a long long time. The takedowns and ground control are just a product of this flagrant lack of basic initial defense. Every fight starts standing, and these basic fundamentals help avoid these compromising grappling positions that tony continuously finds himself in. There's no amount of grappling practice or TDD that is going to save you if your slipping on the canvas, turning your back, can't keep anyone away from you, putting your back to the fence, losing your balance, etc. If Charles mounts you with minutes to work, your basically toast. The point is avoiding the situation entirely, the best that your able.

Hope you understand what I was trying to get across, there are a myriad of ways to deny grapplers easy transitions, if you just use utilize the basic fundamentals.

Last edited:
I dont't know what are people talking about, he didnt ruin his career .the man is 37 yo and has been fighting and taking damage his whole life ,,,like this is normal, you stay too long in the game and you reaction time gets a little slower (you don't even notice it), you dont take shots like before, your speed and reflexes decrease just a little and that's it ,you start losing...
But the comment from Din Thomas ( I always liked the guy) that Tony lacks fundamentals and being wild only gets you so far..is a dick move by Din , he was being a smartass now that tony is losing and the whole internet is buying it now...like yes Tony has an unhortodox style but you can't make that statement about a guy who has been undefeated for 6 years and only lost 1 fight in 10 years against top competition ...is like.. was Fedor at 34 lacking fundamentals suddenly , is Stipe lacking fundamentals all of the sudden.. no , is just that Tony is 37 and had along career...is a pretty normal fall for grace in mma

i hear Weili Zhang's favorite fighter is Tony. Judging from her last fight, she should probably find another role model fighter, a fighter who, after a bad loss, comes back, reinvented, changing up the gameplan and your mindset, evolving,...which Ferguson has done none of the above; he's a brawler, trained at everything, not great at nothing, his athleticism hid his flaws.

If she fights like him, sure, you'll get a fotn bonus, maybe fight of the year with Joana, but then next fight, same gameplan, rush in, get knocked out, wake up call Weili lol. Don't be watching Tony's fights to learn the basics.

Parting ways with Eddie Bravo has hurt Tony. Not ruined him, but took some of his shine off. No one in Ferguson’s corner has a fucking clue what he is trying to do anymore, not even Saunders.

now that tony is losing and the whole internet is buying it now...like yes Tony has an unhortodox style but you can't make that statement about a guy who has been undefeated for 6 years and only lost 1 fight in 10 years against top competition ...is like.. was Fedor at 34 lacking fundamentals suddenly , is Stipe lacking fundamentals all of the sudden.. no , is just that Tony is 37 and had along career...is a pretty normal fall for grace in mma

You have a point there, just because one guy makes a comment (Din), doesn't mean it's the Gospel, shit I just said it myself about fundamentals lol.
Guys like Cerrone, 5 years ago everyone was on his nuts, now, he sucks, never had head movement, can't box, etc..
But, I do think, that Tony's go for broke style, it's caught up to him, and things like getting caught in that heel hook, the positions he is falling into nowadays are going to hurt him, are hurting him.

Hes getting old, hes also taken alot of damage even in victory. Nothing has been working and the lack of gameplan allow his flaws to stand out even more, that free flowing style is taking a major hit as his speed and confidence are going away.

He looked defeated often in that fight and it was super obvious on his face towards the end. I'm not sure who he can beat at the moment, i say that being a fan of his.

he was simply never that good,the mount from kevin lee and crack by pettis exposed he is really vulnerable

Did you see the look in his eyes last night as he spent almost the entire fight on his back? Almost a scared, panicky look-was never like that back when he was winning. Age, wear and tear and mental health issues have brought him down.

was it
a) having his soul taken by Justin Gaethje at UFC 249
b) Connor or Khabib for ruining any chance at an undisputed LW title
c) the wire he tripped over 6 days before UFC 223
d) something else? discuss.

Gaethje ruined him, no question. That was a horrific beating that took years off his life.

double weight cut.. then running into justins fist for 4.5 rounds.. father time which is undefeated

These messages are very close to the truth.

In my opinion, what ruined Ferguson's career the most is accepting so many MMA fights.

As soon as Tony Ferguson stopped Kevin Lee, he should've stayed at home. If I was able to meet him, I would've told Tony Ferguson to insist on a chance to capture the UFC Lightweight World Championship.

Tony Ferguson shouldn't have accepted the MMA fight against Anthony Pettis. Unfortunately, he did accept it.

Tony Ferguson shouldn't have accepted the MMA fight against Donald Cerrone. Unfortunately, he did accept it.

Tony Ferguson shouldn't have accepted the MMA fight against Justin Gaethje. Unfortunately, he did accept it.

Tony Ferguson shouldn't have accepted the MMA fight against Charles Oliveira. Unfortunately, he did accept it.

Tony Ferguson shouldn't have accepted the MMA fight against Beneil Dariush. Unfortunately, he did accept it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gladiator47
Back