What routine

booher

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I've always lacked in my squat, a third from confidence, a third from technique and flexibility, and the other third from just not taking it seriously enough.

My question is, my bench and my deadlift are both in the 300s, but I squatted 205x3x5 recently and I still don't feel perfectly comfortable with it. I'm working on flexibility.

Since I'm already doing pretty well with the other two lifts, would my best bet be to just do the beginner's Starting Strength routine? Or should I take an alternate route to beef it up? I don't know that squatting three times a week is going to work as far as recovery goes.

Any input would help.

My opinion, for what it's worth, is that if you want to get good at something, do it a lot. I would be surprised if SS did'nt bring an improvement in your Squat.

However, there are much more experianced and knowledgeable members on this Forum who may very well give you different advice.

squat three times a week! dont worry, it'll work. I also had my doubts at the beginning.

Thanks guys. I was wondering because the numbers are so off from bench/deads that there might be another routine, since I wouldn't consider myself a beginner in the other two categories, and on the B/A/B weeks I don't think I want to be deadlifting twice in a week.

The best way to get strong at squatting is to squat often. Initially, my squat was very low when compared to my deadlift and bench numbers (135 squat, 155 bench, 225DL), but that was with me squatting once a week, or sometimes even once every two weeks (didn't make an effort to really squat). However, once I started squatting 3x a week with steady linear progression, it just kept going up.

You'll be surprised by how fast you can recover. It's good to start light, giving you the opportunity to really concentrate on form. You should really give SS a try. Good way to determine where to start is to start by squatting the bar for 5. Add weight and squat 5. Repeat until once you add the weight, you notice the bar speed slows quite a bit. Do two more sets at this weight. Next time your in the gym, add 5-10lb. And so on. It'll get heavy very fast, but as long as you eat properly and sleep enough you'll be fine. If the DOMS starts getting bad, you can try using some contrast showers/foam rolling to help improve recovery.

Posting form videos is also a good idea.

Good luck!

Edit: Also, no matter how sore you are, always squat! There have been days where I was like "oh my god, the DOMS is so bad, I can't squat today". But once you get through the warm-up squats, you'll feel perfectly fine.

Like everyone has said, add more squat days to your week. Last semester I focused on chest. Had two chest days and a max day. My bench went up insanely fast. Same goes with anything you put the time into.

Thanks guys. I was wondering because the numbers are so off from bench/deads that there might be another routine, since I wouldn't consider myself a beginner in the other two categories, and on the B/A/B weeks I don't think I want to be deadlifting twice in a week.

Practical Programming: you Squat three times a week but only Deadlift once a week.

I completely agree with other posters about having good persistence and perseverance to doing squats. When I first started my bench had some issues growing in weight, but my body adjusted and slowly caught up. It's simply adaptation and developing a good comfort level with the technique you using. Good luck on your en devours in lifting and good numbers so far keep it up you'll be stronger quickly.

So are you guys suggesting following Starting Strength or merely that I should squat more often?

I agree with the squat more often aspect of it, but I don't know that I'm ready to commit do doing deadlifts twice a week in the B/A/B week. I also want to work on doing pull ups 2-3 times per week, especially if I start putting on mass from squatting.

So are you guys suggesting following Starting Strength or merely that I should squat more often?

I agree with the squat more often aspect of it, but I don't know that I'm ready to commit do doing deadlifts twice a week in the B/A/B week. I also want to work on doing pull ups 2-3 times per week, especially if I start putting on mass from squatting.

Like KT said a few posts back, do the practical programming novice program detailed by SS. It meets both of your specifications; not deadlifting two times a week and doing pull-ups 2 times per week.

Consult this if you haven't already FAQ:The Program - Starting Strength Wiki

Practical Programming Novice Program:

Monday
3x5 Squat
3x5 Bench Press / Press (Alternating)
Chin-ups: 3 sets to failure or add weight if completing more than 15 reps

Wednesday
3x5 Squat
3x5 Press / Bench Press (Alternating)
1x5 Deadlift

Friday
3x5 Squat
Pull-ups: 3 sets to failure or add weight if completing more than 15 reps

Edit: Also, no matter how sore you are, always squat! There have been days where I was like "oh my god, the DOMS is so bad, I can't squat today". But once you get through the warm-up squats, you'll feel perfectly fine.

Absolutely. This is so true. I know a lot of people who don't work out or are afraid to work out because of DOMs. 95% of the time it is just silliness IMO.

Like KT said a few posts back, do the practical programming novice program detailed by SS. It meets both of your specifications; not deadlifting two times a week and doing pull-ups 2 times per week.

Monday
3x5 Squat

Wednesday
3x5 Squat
1x5 Deadlift

Friday
3x5 Squat

Ooh, yeah. I was browsing the wiki before I made this thread and earlier today, must have overlooked this one.. I think this is probably the one I'm going to follow.

Thanks for the help!

I posted the Practical Programming routine, which I am doing, then saw that Toonie beat me to it. I've got to say that I simply love this programme. I look forward to every workout as soon as the last one is finished.

I forgot I had a couple more questions:

1) is there going to be a problem with the fact that I won't be following GOMAD or another bulk diet? I realize progress will probably be slower. I already weigh about 215 and would rather try and stay around that weight as I could stand to lose a little bit of body fat.

2) Is cardio frowned upon on off days? I'd like to do some heavy bag and jump roping if possible.

Last edited:
1) is there going to be a problem with the fact that I won't be following GOMAD or another bulk diet? I realize progress will probably be slower. I already weigh about 215 and would rather try and stay around that weight as I could stand to lose a little bit of body fat.

No, that's not a problem.

2) Is cardio frowned upon on off days? I'd like to do some heavy bag and jump roping if possible.

A certain amount of cardio can be beneficial, in that it improves work capacity and recovery. You just have to keep in mind what the priority is...if it is lifting then you may have to moderate the frequency and duration of your cardio to some degree.

A certain amount of cardio can be beneficial, in that it improves work capacity and recovery. You just have to keep in mind what the priority is...if it is lifting then you may have to moderate the frequency and duration of your cardio to some degree.

The recovery/work capacity part is what I'm after. I can imagine I could finish the routine in about 30 minutes. Probably something like 3-5 3 minute rounds on the heavy bag and a combined 1000 jumps on the rope if not less. Cardio just becomes miserable once you start up again from an extended break from it.

Thanks again for the guidance.

Leaving bench aside, your numbers between squat and deadlift don't seem _that_ out of whack. If you were a typical gym rat who only recently started to squat and deadlift, I'd think those numbers were perfectly reasonable. Just keep squatting and it'll move up.

Monday
3x5 Squat

Wednesday
3x5 Squat
1x5 Deadlift

Friday
3x5 Squat

Thanks; I did'nt have time to post the whole PP routine.

Back