What really motivates people?

Discussion in 'Mayberry Lounge' started by Cash Bill 52, Sep 2, 2018.

1. Cash Bill 52

Cash Bill 52 Brown Belt

Do you think people are motivated by carrots and sticks? At the base or mechanical level, I think people are. At the higher cognitive levels, Daniel Pink and others have found that people are not.

At the elementary school where I work, we have an elaborate system of rewards (Dino dollars) for doing things like being nice on the playground, being responsible in the library, or wearing a blue shirt for autism awareness week.

My kindergarten class (somewhat secretly) does not participate. I think these extrinsic motivators inhibit a child’s ability to develop intrinsic motivation. At the same time, I would think that my kids are highly motivated. We sing, dance, and tell stories all day. We love learning for the sake of learning. (Usually)

If you have some time check out this rsa animate video by Daniel Pink. Do you agree with the findings of these studies? Are you motivated by autonomy, mastery, and purpose?

lsa, ithinktheymad and badascan like this.
  2. Fluffernutter

Fluffernutter Red Belt

Fellow teacher here.

Kids at that age are naturally curious and want to feel accepted by peers and authority figures.

They don't need stickers or medals to motivate them to memorize the planets of the solar system. Nor do they need the fear of losing recess time if they don't wear a blue shirt at a particular time if the year.

3. Cash Bill 52

Cash Bill 52 Brown Belt

I would think that school districts and other administrators would figure this out. Behavior charts, stickers, and other extrinsic motivators are not effective for the higher level thinking that we ask kids to achieve.

What do you teach. It’s cool to see another educator on here.

lsa likes this.
  4. BearGrounds

BearGrounds A great many scalps.

On the frontier, west of the Hudson river.
    Suffering.

Everything you do, or ever will do, you do in an effort to escape from it.

loyalyolayal likes this.
  5. 5crew

5crew Black Belt

For people hooked on social medias: amount of likes they receive.

For me: Sex

EDIT:
    Most people crave acceptance from others/society. "Rebels" that do the polar opposite crave that too actually despite saying they don't.

Cash Bill 52 and cocksure like this.
  6. MiniCraque

MiniCraque Black Belt

7. Cash Bill 52

Cash Bill 52 Brown Belt

I do think that there is a drug like effect that some people feel by getting likes on Facebook and social media.

lsa and Fluffernutter like this.
  8. CutStryker

CutStryker “The Prince of Darkness is a Gentleman”

Idk? Everyone’s different. Depending on what one needs to be motivated about. Weight training, Jiu-Jitsu training, getting out of debt etc.

When I run, weight train or Jiu-Jitsu train this gets me motivated starting at 1:11

Cash Bill 52 likes this.
  9. Cash Bill 52

Cash Bill 52 Brown Belt

Daniel Pink would say that running, weight training and jiu Jitsu are things that you have chosen on your own, things you want to have success in, and gives you a sense of purpose. So, yes, we are all different, but possibly motivated by the same intrinsic desire.

lsa likes this.
  10. Yuval Levy

Yuval Levy Green Belt

$$$$ and incentives.

Just like what Milton Friedman said.

Cash Bill 52 likes this.
  11. revoltub

revoltub Lord Paramount of the Reach Belt

12. VivaRevolution

VivaRevolution Whoopin' Belt Double Yellow Card

I think carrots and sticks work great......as a tool of psycological warfare.

I mean I'm sure sane and free thinking people will choose to sit in a cubicle and punch a clock without plenty of carrots, and very sharp sticks, for intrinsic reasons.(e-sarcasm)

Cash Bill 52 likes this.
  13. Cash Bill 52

Cash Bill 52 Brown Belt

Friedman mentions “self interest” or autonomy 7CF08E6E-D45C-42E3-ACBF-B3B11B401C20.jpeg as a motivator. I don’t think Einstein was particularly interested in financial gain while developing his theories.

lsa likes this.
  14. Cash Bill 52

Cash Bill 52 Brown Belt

Yes, maybe for rudimentary or mechanical changes in behavior. Do you think you would love your parents or children more if you were offered a gold star to do so? The premise would seem ridiculous.

lsa likes this.
  15. Vergilius

Vergilius Purple Belt

Those of us who work in education know that there are two kinds of motivation, basically: internal and external.

Both the carrot and the stick are external sources of motivation - you are doing whatever it is because of something else. It works for a while, but the energy tends to fade over time.

Internal motivation is when people do something on their own because they genuinely want to. People with this kind of motivation are the students/co-workers you tend to really like being around. As a teacher/manager, if you can give people work the motivates them in this way, then you are doing a great job.

Some inspiring/charismatic people are able to get you motivated to do tasks that you wouldn't otherwise have cared about, even without reward/punishment, but this is rare.

Cash Bill 52 likes this.
  16. Yuval Levy

Yuval Levy Green Belt

Yes, and there was something to gain by following that interest.

Cash Bill 52 likes this.
  17. VivaRevolution

Check out my edit there, and you will see why I think we are given carrots and sticks. Without them, sane and free thinking people would not accept the status quo. It is conditioning.

Cash Bill 52 likes this.
  18. Cash Bill 52

Cash Bill 52 Brown Belt

Yep... in a way, that person sitting in a cubicle dieing a slow death is the same kid, years earlier, chasing gold stars and smiley faces. So many zombies out there driving hours a day to a job they hate. But, hey, they have a jet ski sitting in their garage.

Last edited: Sep 2, 2018
    lsa, WandySaku2 and VivaRevolution like this.
  19. VivaRevolution

Norway is all about internal motivation in their education system. Asia and the US, we want automatons.

WandySaku2 and Cash Bill 52 like this.
  20. Cash Bill 52

Cash Bill 52 Brown Belt

I think money is a motivator to a point. I envision a world where money is no longer a primary motivator. I want safety and comfort. I know lots of happy people who find meaning in their work. I know lots of miserable people who have “great jobs” as well.

lsa and HARRISON_3 like this.