What really motivates people?

Cash Bill 52

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
Do you think people are motivated by carrots and sticks? At the base or mechanical level, I think people are. At the higher cognitive levels, Daniel Pink and others have found that people are not.

At the elementary school where I work, we have an elaborate system of rewards (Dino dollars) for doing things like being nice on the playground, being responsible in the library, or wearing a blue shirt for autism awareness week.

My kindergarten class (somewhat secretly) does not participate. I think these extrinsic motivators inhibit a child’s ability to develop intrinsic motivation. At the same time, I would think that my kids are highly motivated. We sing, dance, and tell stories all day. We love learning for the sake of learning. (Usually)

If you have some time check out this rsa animate video by Daniel Pink. Do you agree with the findings of these studies? Are you motivated by autonomy, mastery, and purpose?

Fellow teacher here.

Kids at that age are naturally curious and want to feel accepted by peers and authority figures.

They don't need stickers or medals to motivate them to memorize the planets of the solar system. Nor do they need the fear of losing recess time if they don't wear a blue shirt at a particular time if the year.

Fellow teacher here.

Kids at that age are naturally curious and want to feel accepted by peers and authority figures.

They don't need stickers or medals to motivate them to memorize the planets of the solar system. Nor do they need the fear of losing recess time if they don't wear a blue shirt at a particular time if the year.

I would think that school districts and other administrators would figure this out. Behavior charts, stickers, and other extrinsic motivators are not effective for the higher level thinking that we ask kids to achieve.

What do you teach. It’s cool to see another educator on here.

Suffering.

Everything you do, or ever will do, you do in an effort to escape from it.

For people hooked on social medias: amount of likes they receive.

For me: Sex

EDIT:
Most people crave acceptance from others/society. "Rebels" that do the polar opposite crave that too actually despite saying they don't.

For people hooked on social medias: amount of likes they receive.

For me: Sex

EDIT:
Most people crave acceptance from others/society. "Rebels" that do the polar opposite crave that too actually despite saying they don't.

I do think that there is a drug like effect that some people feel by getting likes on Facebook and social media.

Idk? Everyone’s different. Depending on what one needs to be motivated about. Weight training, Jiu-Jitsu training, getting out of debt etc.

When I run, weight train or Jiu-Jitsu train this gets me motivated starting at 1:11

Idk? Everyone’s different. Depending on what one needs to be motivated about. Weight training, Jiu-Jitsu training, getting out of debt etc.

When I run, weight train or Jiu-Jitsu train this gets me motivated starting at 1:11

Daniel Pink would say that running, weight training and jiu Jitsu are things that you have chosen on your own, things you want to have success in, and gives you a sense of purpose. So, yes, we are all different, but possibly motivated by the same intrinsic desire.

$$$$ and incentives.

Just like what Milton Friedman said.

I think carrots and sticks work great......as a tool of psycological warfare.

I mean I'm sure sane and free thinking people will choose to sit in a cubicle and punch a clock without plenty of carrots, and very sharp sticks, for intrinsic reasons.(e-sarcasm)

$$$$ and incentives.

Just like what Milton Friedman said.

Friedman mentions “self interest” or autonomy7CF08E6E-D45C-42E3-ACBF-B3B11B401C20.jpeg as a motivator. I don’t think Einstein was particularly interested in financial gain while developing his theories.

I think carrots and sticks work great......as a tool of psycological warfare.

Yes, maybe for rudimentary or mechanical changes in behavior. Do you think you would love your parents or children more if you were offered a gold star to do so? The premise would seem ridiculous.

Those of us who work in education know that there are two kinds of motivation, basically: internal and external.

Both the carrot and the stick are external sources of motivation - you are doing whatever it is because of something else. It works for a while, but the energy tends to fade over time.

Internal motivation is when people do something on their own because they genuinely want to. People with this kind of motivation are the students/co-workers you tend to really like being around. As a teacher/manager, if you can give people work the motivates them in this way, then you are doing a great job.

Some inspiring/charismatic people are able to get you motivated to do tasks that you wouldn't otherwise have cared about, even without reward/punishment, but this is rare.

Yes, maybe for rudimentary or mechanical changes in behavior. Do you think you would love your parents or children more if you were offered a gold star to do so? The premise would seem ridiculous.

Check out my edit there, and you will see why I think we are given carrots and sticks. Without them, sane and free thinking people would not accept the status quo. It is conditioning.

Check out my edit there, and you will see why I think we are given carrots and sticks. Without them, sane and free thinking people would not accept the status quo. It is conditioning.

Yep... in a way, that person sitting in a cubicle dieing a slow death is the same kid, years earlier, chasing gold stars and smiley faces. So many zombies out there driving hours a day to a job they hate. But, hey, they have a jet ski sitting in their garage.

Last edited:
Those of us who work in education know that there are two kinds of motivation, basically: internal and external.

Both the carrot and the stick are external sources of motivation - you are doing whatever it is because of something else. It works for a while, but the energy tends to fade over time.

Internal motivation is when people do something on their own because they genuinely want to. People with this kind of motivation are the students/co-workers you tend to really like being around. As a teacher/manager, if you can give people work the motivates them in this way, then you are doing a great job.

Some inspiring/charismatic people are able to get you motivated to do tasks that you wouldn't otherwise have cared about, even without reward/punishment, but this is rare.

Norway is all about internal motivation in their education system. Asia and the US, we want automatons.

Yes, and there was something to gain by following that interest.

I think money is a motivator to a point. I envision a world where money is no longer a primary motivator. I want safety and comfort. I know lots of happy people who find meaning in their work. I know lots of miserable people who have “great jobs” as well.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Freddie556
Back