What really happened to HW boxing?

mommas homeboy

Women with dicks are women too!
Reaction score
And don't bring up the Klitschko brothers, hardly anybody knows who they are, at least in the US.

Are less big guys getting into HW boxing, or is it just that there are no stars at all, so nobody cares anything about them?

Has there ever been a time in the last hundred years that HW boxing has become so irrelevent?

the good old " something isn't very popular where i live , it must be irrelevant "

i don't know what happened to the NFL , nobody knows anything about it, and most people can't name one single player other than that one guy who dated kim kardashian .

Is jerry rice still playing? He was my favorite linebacker.

The fuckin Klitschkos happened man, easy answer...

the good old " something isn't very popular where i live , it must be irrelevant "

i don't know what happened to the NFL , nobody knows anything about it, and most people can't name one single player other than that one guy who dated kim kardashian .

You're obviously not too bright. HW boxing has disappeared in the US, nobody cares about it at all (accept for about .5% of the population), that's what I'm referring to.

Last edited:
simple.. large black athletic kid (not being racist here) wants to make a lot of money playing sports. The average salary of a pro football/basketball player is so much higher than a boxer, Floyd being the exception obviously

You're saying if it wasn't for the Klitschkos, HW boxing would still be as popular as it was before it disappeared?

Yes, they are the best, they are boring for some but they win without even sweating.

David Haye for example could be a very marketable guy if he would be the real world champ.

And a lot of the best fights in the HW division that doesnt includes the Klitschkos end with a KO. And thats what people wanna see, but not if they arent the champs...

You're obviously not too bright. .

HW boxing has disappeared in the US, nobody cares about it at all (accept for about .5% of the population), that's what I'm refferring to.

post-23747-Oprah-shaking-head-NO-gif-Imgu-SO8b.gif

HW boxing is doing just fine. We are about to have a very entertaining UK HW class in a week or so, the result of which will means one of the Klitschkos probably has to fight the winner soon enough which will be high drama. There are emerging talents in the rest of Europe, and Wladimir Klitschko still has a few years to go to be challenged by these talents before he moves on. Vitali is semi-retired.

All in all, its a great division with definite shape at the top, and emerging talent is coming through. I see it as a good division.

The fact the US is largely uninvolved in it (barring Wilder and a couple of others) is irrelevant.

Two fringe HW boxers pulled around 4 million on NBC in a morning timeslot. Sonnen and Evans, two of the UFC's biggest PPV draws, couldn't even pull that much in primetime. So yeah, if Americans have no interest in HW boxing then the UFC must really be in trouble.

http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york/boxing/post/_/id/2865/1-6-million-watched-adamek-cunningham

The numbers are in, and they look good. A source tells us the NBC Fight Night showing did a 1.2 rating, and a 3 share, with 1.6 million folks tuning in to watch, on average, during the event. Perhaps the standout stat from the presentation? At peak viewing time, over 4 million persons tuned in to the bout. I do believe that could be the most viewers for a boxing match this year...

then dont make the thread then

Then don't make the thread?

Why not? Acting like HW boxing is anywhere near as popular as it was about 10-20 years ago is absurd.

Everybody knew who guys like Ali and Tyson were, the average person has no idea who the current HW champ is. And they sure aren't watching their fights.

Why not? Acting like HW boxing is anywhere near as popular as it was about 10-20 years ago is absurd.

Everybody knew who guys like Ali and Tyson were, the average person has no idea who the current HW champ is. And they sure aren't watching their fights.

we talk about the klitchkos quite frequently in here,most of us are unconcerned with the unwashed masses. Coming into a boxing forum and asking us to ignore the undisputed champions is absurd.

Something doesn't make sense to me. What's wrong with everybody else in the world besides me?

The Klitschkos fill soccer stadiums in Germany.

Does anyone have a good reason as to why the united states dominated the heavyweight scene for a good chunk of the 20th century? Better fed? Better coaching? The sport was just more popular in the U.S? Not the homespace of two world wars?

But by your logic though doesn't that mean people care about the UFC even less? I mean, if no one cares about HW boxing in the US but it pulls 4 million viewers for fringe no namers while the UFC can't even pull that much with some of their biggest draws then doesn't that mean people care about the UFC even less?

we talk about the klitchkos quite frequently in here,most of us are unconcerned with the unwashed masses. Coming into a boxing forum and asking us to ignore the undisputed champions is absurd.

Just for the record, I'm not talking about how great HW fighters are today, just about why their popularity has declined so much.

But I guess I should have included "inside the US" in the OP cause that's what I meant. As far as I know, it has never been less popular in the US than it is now, and it just seems strange. I was wondering what could have caused it.

But by your logic though doesn't that mean people care about the UFC even less? I mean, if no one cares about HW boxing in the US but it pulls 4 million viewers for fringe no namers while the UFC can't even pull that much with some of their biggest draws then doesn't that mean people care about the UFC even less?

I don't know what the statistics are. I just know that HW boxing was wildly popular in the US a few years ago. I don't know why there aren't any blockbuster fights that everyone is talking about....the way there used to be.

Back