What really happened in Woodley vs Usman

Woodley only has a right hand in striking. As most right handed wrestlers.

Why was Woodley so succesful?
Thompson x2, Gastelum, Maia, Lawler, Dong Hyun Kim and Till are SOUTHPAWS(left handed) and the best weapon against southpaws is the right hand, because of the angle and distance.
Woodley is 6:0 against southpaws in his last 8
Woodley is 0:2 against right handed fighters in his last 8
His 4 losses are against right handed fighters and he is unbeaten against southpaws.

Striking knowledge
Right handed boxers mostly have 2 good hands, as they grow up with a dominant right hand and then in boxing they use their left at least twice as often.
Left handed strikers like Conor and Till are different, as their southpaw stance gives them a better angle for their left hand and they use their right to set up punches. Also they then learn to wrestle more with their left.
Not only has Woodley only 1 hand against Usman, he is also used to fight southpaws for years now.

Woodley's left
Coming back to Woodley. He uses his left jab as a range finder and to feint. His feints are worthless as nobody has to worry about his lead left hook. And his jab isn't there and doesn't hurt.

Usman
Usman said this and used it.
To negate Woodleys only hand weapon, you just have to have a high left guard and walk to your right. Until you are near the fence. Ducking, feinting, weaving and you are there. Rory even made a joke out of it.

Usman's gameplan

(Usman is taller and therefore can cut more weight. Tyron looked not as fit as the last times. Rap Album and media stuff)
Tyron is 36, Usman is 31. Therefore reflexes and stamina bonus goes to Usman.
Tyron has more fast twitch muscles, Usman has better endurance muscles.
After Usman avoids the first 10 right hands he basically has won the fight.

Woodley's gameplan
Walking back, till he has a chance to land his big right. It just didn't work, because of the reasons mentioned above. He then likes to go to the fence where he can defend the takedown. But Usman used his size to drain him at the fence first. There he used his size and the fence.

Usman surprised us with his wrestling. A lot thought he would have the advantage later on due to better stamina, but he was better early on.

Ways to win for woodley:
At 36 he probably won't have the youth to implement them anymore.
He could circle more. Stay on his toes. Develop a left hand
Hell even start the fight in the middle of the cage, instead of just staying in his corner.
But if a fighter hasn't implemented this the last 13 years of his career. Chances are he won't now.
On top of that Duke Roufus isn't a good striking coach. Woodley's boxing coach is a bit better.
If the younger fighter won the first fight and the older fighter is already out of prime years.
The younger fighter usually wins the rematch.

Actually a very good breakdown.

Ignore the haters keep up the good work.

Woodley has looked great and after Till I thought shit this dude has a good chance to stay Champ for ages and surpass Gsp. I would be very interested in a Woodley vs Colby fight just to see if Colby can do the same, and if Tyrone can make any adjustments. A rematch with Usman would go the same way imo. His style is tailor made to beat him.

I made the same mistake :)
Completely agree about the rematch.
I see Colby as kind of a 85% version of Usman. He is a little bit shorter, a little bit lighter, has lesser reach and his striking looks sloppier.
Maybe I'm wrong again ^^

I see Colby as kind of a 85% version of Usman. He is a little bit shorter, a little bit lighter, has lesser reach and his striking looks sloppier.
Maybe I'm wrong again ^^
Agree. Colby Usman is 40/60 imo. Extra 10 for Usman for beating Woodley, must have lots of confidence right now.

It comes down to

A guy who’s good wrestler n can push the pace vs a guy who’s mostly passive n picks his shots

Vs non wrestlers woodley looked great

Nobody could take him down n his ability to wrestle made strikers he faced more hesitant

Kamaru has non of those issues.

Thank you.
A few weeks ago a lot of people had Woodley winning against Gsp.
Me too.
Now we think different.
I knew Woodley has only a right hand, while the fight was happening, but the southpaw thing I just noticed these days and had to google his opponents. Then it hit me.
Woodley always has that right hand bomb and Gsp was hurt by Serra and Bisping.
Gsp definately wins the rounds though and he has Freddie Roach who really should read Woodley's striking and notice that.
Gsp by points 8/10 times and Woodley via knockdowns/Ko 2/10
current GSP - Woodley 6/10 depending if he can stop GSP's TD which i believe he can still. Usman is much bigger than GSP. That counts in grappling and Woodley not only comes up with fantastic gameplans but he sticks to it.

Prime GSP - .75/10 for Woodley

That's a great observation. I thought Woodley was prone to tentativity and that he had just overcome that with experience over the years, by learning to pick his spots more and not gas himself out. You're right though, orthodox fighters need to lead with the right against southpaws. I never realized those were all he was fighting. Woodley never developed a strong jab or lead hook. Usman would be a tough stylistic matchup for him no matter what, but even tougher when all he had to use against him was a right hand.

current GSP - Woodley 6/10 depending if he can stop GSP's TD which i believe he can still. Usman is much bigger than GSP. That counts in grappling and Woodley not only comes up with fantastic gameplans but he sticks to it.

Prime GSP - .75/10 for Woodley

Doubt it

Gsp got dominated by Hendricks n woodley is arguably better than Hendricks

I'm not saying you're wrong, but Woodley looked like shit. He looked small and soft. You might have a lot of points, but I still say Woodley physically didn't look himself.

He’s flying around doing rap videos and movies. Doesn’t seem like the same level of commitment that he once had. Success dethrones champions all the time. It’s hard to wake up and run at 5am when you are sleeping in silk sheets.

Doubt it

Gsp got dominated by Hendricks n woodley is arguably better than Hendricks
That was Hendricks with his POWERade.

Hendricks with that has a really, really good chance of beating Woodley.

The Hendricks that fought Robbie and onward loses to Woodley.

That was Hendricks with his POWERade.

Hendricks with that has a really, really good chance of beating Woodley.

The Hendricks that fought Robbie and onward loses to Woodley.

He never failed at test, so can we assume gsp was in power aid too?

Not fighting credentials: Few years Wing Chun, waste of time.(for me)
Few years of boxing with very low level fights.
A little bit of wrestling with my Dad, who was a wrestler and some grappling with friends from grappling. I know a few chokes and stuff, but I'm basically a white belt :)
A few fights on the street, which wasn't smart and nearly cost me an eye.
Ok at least you have boxing. That's about as legit as it gets besides muay thai.

Maybe I'm wrong again ^^

So if Usman fights at 30% again, Colby will fuck him up.

Woodley is a bum without cardio and no heart. It was a matter of time when somebody will expose this pussy

I agree with most of the post but not with this:

Striking knowledge
Right handed boxers mostly have 2 good hands, as they grow up with a dominant right hand and then in boxing they use their left at least twice as often.
Left handed strikers like Conor and Till are different, as their southpaw stance gives them a better angle for their left hand and they use their right to set up punches. Also they then learn to wrestle more with their left.
Not only has Woodley only 1 hand against Usman, he is also used to fight southpaws for years now.

Which angle, outside angle? Stance itself does not give you anything.

Back