what ranks are all you guys in BJJ

Terrier said:
White

We don't use stripes either - pity because I think at whitebelt level at least it's nice for newer guys to know if they're againsed someone with 1 week or 1 years worth of training.

The stripes break things up a bit.
Yea there can be a HUGE variation in skill within a belt level, especcially blue IMO. As a blue belt, I know some other blues I can school, and others I can't even touch even when they're playing with me.

White, under the Megaton Jiu Jitsu Academy, McVicker branch. My instructor is a Brown with ten years of experience, and co-instructor is a Purple with I beleave four years and redicluous bouts under his belt.

Dan181 said:
Belts are overrated. It's not about what belt you are, it's about how you stack up with guys who're legit grapplers. I think most mainland USA purple belts would get eaten alive by many Brazil or Hawaii guys of equal or lesser rank. A belt is only meaningful if (a) whoever gave it to someone gave it for a good reason, not just because that person came to class and paid every day for a year, and (b) the instructor is the real deal, not some low belt affiliate who charges $100 per month. Not to take anything at all away from your belt (which is OBVIOUSLY genuine and deserved under Top Team)! Just making the point that not every belt is anywhere near equal, and in many cases the belts are given for the wrong reasons.

How long have you been training with those guys?

I honestly think this statements come from A.) a guy who comes from a very crappy club B.) a guy who doesnt work under a belt system.

Bjj is one of the only martial arts i can say where people who have a certain belt deserves them.(most of the time) Of course there are going to be guys that are better then others in each belt division. Some people are stronger, faster, better conditioned... Which all comes into play when fighting each other.

I have yet to run into a purple belt who got their belt Just because they came to class all the time..... You have to show your worth and be tapping out the guys in the belt classes above you. Our instructor doesnt do test or things like that he decides when your rdy to move up when you cans survive and threaten the belts above you on a regular basis.

He is a past head instructor at the Gracie barra in rio, and a 3 time pan american gold medalist. I dont think the belts are over rated one bit... Our brown beat our purples, our purples beat our blues, and our blues beat our whites... How it should be..... and mutliple pan american gold medalist are found there.

You did say given on a good reason and im not trying to start a post war, simply pointing out saying belts are overated is a blanket statement... People spend years of their life and lots of hard work to work their way up the belt system and in an instant your saying their badge of that accomplishment is "overrated"

Gsoares said:
I honestly think this statements come from A.) a guy who comes from a very crappy club B.) a guy who doesnt work under a belt system.

Bjj is one of the only martial arts i can say where people who have a certain belt deserves them.(most of the time) Of course there are going to be guys that are better then others in each belt division. Some people are stronger, faster, better conditioned... Which all comes into play when fighting each other.

I have yet to run into a purple belt who got their belt Just because they came to class all the time..... You have to show your worth and be tapping out the guys in the belt classes above you. Our instructor doesnt do test or things like that he decides when your rdy to move up when you cans survive and threaten the belts above you on a regular basis.

He is a past head instructor at the Gracie barra in rio, and a 3 time pan american gold medalist. I dont think the belts are over rated one bit... Our brown beat our purples, our purples beat our blues, and our blues beat our whites... How it should be..... and mutliple pan american gold medalist are found there.

You did say given on a good reason and im not trying to start a post war, simply pointing out saying belts are overated is a blanket statement... People spend years of their life and lots of hard work to work their way up the belt system and in an instant your saying their badge of that accomplishment is "overrated"

Great post G

And Im just a white belt, just started trainig with a Gi a few weeks ago.

blue but i beat a black belt in a tourney final and im suppose to get my purple for the win, but my instructor said i would have to get it from Draculino not him.

dan1210 said:
there are no stripes, all BJJ belts have a stripe just get one of those and youll have one nut BJJ doesnt use stripes just belts

Some do, some don't. We have 4 stripes before you move up to the next belt. And my instructor got his belts from Carlos Machado, and his blue through brown belts are hung up, and they all have stripes.

by the way, is there any list of japonese BJJ black belts?

just curiouse, thanks in advance

I have a whitebelt with three stripes, I think Im going to be getting my blue on August 1st. I know you are usually supposed to get 4 stripes, but last test there was a few guys with just 3 stripes and they got their blues, so maybe the same will happen with me.

kimurense said:
by the way, is there any list of japonese BJJ black belts?

just curiouse, thanks in advance

Yuki Nakai (Paraestra Tokyo)
Shinja Aoki (Paraestra Tokyo, recently promoted by Nakai-san)
Masahiro Oishii (K'z Factory)
Daisuke "Amazon" Sugie (Alive!)
Isamu Shishido (Purebred Omiya)
Takeshi Watanabe (Paraestra Gym)
Mistuyoshi Hayakawa (Triforce)

There are more but those are the ones I can think of right now. Amazon is fighting Josh Thompson in the upcoming Bushido show this weekend.

Back