What questions do you have for CAIO TERRA?

When getting ready for the larger tournaments does he plan his strategy against in a general way, or does he plan for specific competitors that may be in his bracket

1) how many pullups can he do in 15 mins

2) did he get a restraining order on gabi

:p

Two of today's most successful competitors, the Mendes Brothers, are strong proponents of guards that allow bottom players to control the amount of distance between them and their opponents. How would you respond to someone who argues that guards with this attribute, such as De La Riva and X-Guard, are inherently superior to positions like deep half guard, which do not?

I'd like to hear his take on this as well. Though I'm sure the answer is that the deep half guard variations that allow you to manage the space, e.g. the waiter sweep and butterfly deep half, are still good, whereas koala-hugging the single leg is less effective.

Also, I'd like to hear his take on modern guards in an MMA setting, like what we see Marcin Held doing currently. Does he think that the Terra guard/reverse DLR is applicable in MMA?

For the 20 seconds before Caio got subbed it would be fun to watch. That is, if you don't particularly like Caio Terra.

i'm a big fan of both and think rafael would win... but i don't think it would be as bad as you make it seem.

interesting how so many people think rafa would handle caio. I think it'd be a really cool technical matchup. similar to past contests between rafa/cobrinha and caio/bruno

What candy should i eat to be the best at BJJ?

What candy should i eat to be the best at BJJ?

BrooksideDarkChocolateAcai.jpg

Ask about his new top secret team, Leandro Lo's influence, if he's still planning on fighitng MT and MMA like he told us.

Awesome interview. My two questions:

1. Traditionally, BJJ has been about "position before submission." But today many competitors are sacrificing traditional positions in favor of rolling joint locks or chokes, which they use to control their opponents. Does it still make sense to draw a clear line between "positions" and "submissions" in modern grappling?

2. Two of today's most successful competitors, the Mendes Brothers, are strong proponents of guards that allow bottom players to control the amount of distance between them and their opponents. How would you respond to someone who argues that guards with this attribute, such as De La Riva and X-Guard, are inherently superior to positions like deep half guard, which do not?

Great questions.

Does he have any interest in a third match with Glover? I would ask if they'd trained together since Metamoris, but I'm almost positive they have.

Does he have any plans to possibly do ADCC this coming year?

Does he feel that some of the modern styles like his RDLR/berimbolo games have any application in MMA, considering he's been working with fighters like the Diaz Bros and Carlos Condit?

Ask him what's his diet for cutting weight? (Reference to when he was at our gym for a seminar, lol).

BJJ Prof - you were there for that lol.

How does Caio deal with the grip fighting when competing against larger opponents? Lets say opponent got a deep collar grip when Caio want to pass guard.

How many skittles should one consume before rolling, competition or otherwise. And what about gummy bears? Yay or Nay? - E

What are his goals for 2013?

If he has a interest in fighting MMA?

What qualities did he think he had/has that allowed him to progress so quickly in BJJ? was it attention to detail, good memory etc.

Back