What physically or genetically separates them from the pack?

Discussion in 'UFC Discussion' started by Goh, Jan 4, 2015.

1. Goh

Goh Purple Belt

Ok, sherdog I have a question. As we all know each champion has something special about them physically or genetically and I don't mean a learned skill such as wrestling or boxing, etc.
    What do the champions have over their competition(mostly or completely)?
    Here is my list if you disagree post why or post your own.

Cain: Cardio(you can say this was trained through extercise or w/e but that shit is unnatural in comparison)

Jon: Ridiculous length

Chris: Super man bones(or length, somewhat joking)

Robbie: Power?(another questionable thing)

Anthony: Speed

Jose: Speed

TJ: Speed

Demetrious: Fucking super hero speed

Ronda: Speed

Carla: I don't think I should even put her in this list tbh new champ and I can't see any physical or genetic gifts atm. But if you see something do tell.

2. Goh

Goh Purple Belt

bump

3. Robby88

Robby88 Purple Belt

It's not one thing.. isn't that clear by now?

Stefan Struve isn't gonna win with just his height.

4. Matt4786

Matt4786 Gold Belt

I think the largest shared trait tends to be good speed.

5. Goh

Goh Purple Belt

I never said it was and I also didn't mean to imply that.
    but there is usually something else that they have that's all i'm asking.

6. JoeJohnston

JoeJohnston Purple Belt

power and fedor 28 wins in a row, not 12

7. Robby88

Robby88 Purple Belt

I think it's the Fight IQ combined with a physical talent (like speed for instance). Thinking just a bit faster and capitalizing on it.

8. JayElectra

JayElectra Paper Belt Banned

I'd actually argue that MM's most notable characteristic for the division is his stamina. He is extremely fast, but Dodson is probably faster and there are others who are at least comparable. As we saw against Dodson and JoeB (in their first fight), MM's stamina just appears to be a cut above. Of course, he is extremely fast and strong for the division, as well.

9. JoeJohnston

JoeJohnston Purple Belt

hehehehehe almost forgot Weidman tooled andy at every aspect of their fights easy. I thought andy was goat?? Oh wait he got destroyed easy 2x by someone who andy ducked and said wasn't worthy for 2yrs. Imagine that??

10. Goh

Goh Purple Belt

That's a very good point, he seems to never get tired.

11. Kertol

Kertol Brown Belt

It has to do with how they utilize their advantages, everyone has advantages.

12. jamiehunter

jamiehunter Brown Belt

I'd say the biggest advantages champs have are mental and intellectual. Having a championship spirit (not all champs do - often not champ for long), excellent fight IQ, ability to adjust and make quick decisions, etc. Basically the ability to put all their tools together to win.

Also I can see the argument in favor of the traits TS listed for the others but I have to disagree on Ronda or at least add one.

As far as physical attributes her explosiveness is more of an advantage than her speed. She's quick but being quick isn't going to help a fighter if they're taken down and can't explode out of bad positions.

13. Goh

Goh Purple Belt

I see what you're saying about ronda but I consider explosiveness mostly speed anyway, a combination of speed and strength really so I guess you're right.
    but the fight iq and champion spirit I feel like anyone can potentially have that unless its something you're born with, idrk.

14. cakemuncher

cakemuncher Black Belt

JBJ is a freak of nature whose physique consists of a super-heavyweight upper body attached to skinny chicken legs.
    This genetic flaw allowed him to outwrestle an Olympic wrestler (who on any given day rag-dolls heavyweights).
    Even DC admitted it in the post fight press.

\thread

[​IMG]

15. Rulio Gracie II

Rulio Gracie II Banned Banned

I'd go more with strength, personally. She has the sort of core strength that other female fighters just don't have. When I watch Ronda fight, what sticks out to me isn't that she's buzzing all around other fighters and they can't touch her, but rather how effortlessly she tosses them around and overpowers them. Although of course a lot of that is technique, but I still think she's very physically strong for a woman. She's powerfully built, with big bones. Her power is starting to come along now as she learns new techniques in striking. She got the first clean KO in women's bantamweight division history and before that she stopped a very strong Olympic wrestler with a strong core with a single body shot.

She has a very explosive shot which you tend not to see with women. Her take downs look a lot like how explosive male wrestlers take guys down. So I think she's more explosive than most women. Of course the technique she built up as a wrestler aids with that, but I don't think female wrestlers like Tate are as explosive with their take downs. The only other exception is McMann who of course was an Olympian and has unreal muscle mass for a female.

16. Aliendoll

Aliendoll Orange Belt

The it factor.

17. chaoticmayhem

chaoticmayhem Brown Belt

I'll add to that and say it's explosiveness but also the ability to think 3 moves in advance as was witnessed when she fought Davis. She knocked Davis out with the right hand, grabbed her before she fell, kneed her in the stomach and judo tossed her and went straight into punching her face in one continuous motion.

18. Kickwrestler

Kickwrestler Orange Belt

Ronda also seems to tower over most of her opponents... As well as being physically stronger and can manipulate their body weight quite effortlessly.

Theres nobody in her division that could dream of out-grappling her.

19. Rulio Gracie II

Rulio Gracie II Banned Banned

I agree with your overall assessment, but disagree with the notion that Davis was knocked out just by the punch alone (I know that Ronda told Dana that and he repeated it to the press and the public). Davis got rocked by the punch and Ronda capitalized on it quickly. I think the KO came more from tossing her right on her head and then trapping her head and punching it repeatedly where Davis had nowhere to move her head and just ate punch after punch right on the chin. If Ronda hadn't done anything after the first punch landed, I doubt that Davis would have fallen unconscious and it would have been a one punch KO. It was a combination of things that lead to that KO.

20. jamiehunter

jamiehunter Brown Belt

Actually I'd say the traits you listed are traits anyone can potentially have but fight IQ and 'champion spirit' are traits that can be nurtured but I don't think somebody can really develop them if they don't already have it.

For example fight IQ can be improved the more experienced a fighter becomes but if a fighter simply has no ability to make decisions on their own and has to stick 100% to the game plan even when it's not working or if the fighter can't even realize the game plan isn't working then I don't think it can be developed. Some people just don't have that ability.

Same with having a championship spirit. Even at the highest levels some people have it and some people simply do not. If somebody doesn't mentally have that spirit then I don't think they can be a dominant champ for long.

A fighter without that mentality can become champ if he/she has superior skills but they need that mentality when they eventually face somebody who can challenge them.