what percentage do you think Mcgregor contributes to the UFC's yearly income?

There is no way for me to even guess. But he brings in a hell of a lot more than anyone else.

This year he had the 3 highest selling PPVs. All 3 outsold UFC 200 which was seen as the biggest card of the year until it actually happened (and fell apart for various reasons), but still had Brock, Anderson, Aldo, Frankie, Miesha, DC, Cain and Hunt on the Main card.

13 to 15 percent. Especially if fox pays 300,000,000 per year. If not 20 percent. Dude is an asset.

again how much do you really think him added to 2-3 cards a year actually vringsnin compared to the UFC'S total?

is not just about number of fights, fighters, ppvs, etc.

everyone is talking about UFC because of McGregor, and before that because Rousey

thats not directly quantificable

Do you think UFC would be paying McGregor and his opponents HUGE amounts of money (compared to other fighters), just because?

UFC owners knows how to make money, is much more profitable to them pay McGregor than lose him. For sure they did the math and Conor is much more valuable for them like most of the roster together

He probably brings in around $50 million a year for his fights, based on 3 fights a year. Who knows with merchandising. It's a lot of money and far more than anyone else not name Ronda brings in.

Just the gate for MSG was $17 mil. The PPV's were 102 mil at an 1.7M buyrate for UFC 205. Conor may have made around 50 milly a year, just from the UFC, but that is a sliver compared to what he brings in (probably 10-15%). Add to that all the betting as it is said for this Ronda fight alot of $50-100 bets were coming in but with Conor 10K to 100K plus bets come in. Also add to that the economy that springs up around a Conor fight with the Irish and their traveling circus; plane tickets, hotel rooms, merchandise, BOOZE, tix for weigh in's etc. You can also put in all the fight pass subscriptions and other related revenue, as he brought in a whole new demographic of fans that shell out money, buy his jerseys and other silly Reebok stuff.

Ronda was never in the same league as him, averaging around 500-600K per PPV with Conor averaging 1.5M (someone did a break down and Conor was 1st, GSP 2nd, Brock 3rd and then Ronda 4th). WME used their Hollywood/media connections to plaster Ronda everywhere and try to convince everyone she was a star, but the number$ tell a very different story.

UFC can still put on big events without CMcG but they won't come close to netting what they did in 2015, at 157 million, and grossing around 600 million with their current roster. I'm going to be interested to see what they net in 2016, it will probably be YUGE with 3 Conor cards and UFC 200, but if they don't pay Conor in 2017, they are fooked and won't be able to hit their 100 million dollar loan payment. UFC 200 was the biggest card they could manage without Conor and it sold 500K than a recent Conor card; that breaks down to a loss in 30 mil, just in PPV revenue alone....not to mention it was a terrible card and it is highly unlikely that so many people would buy such a card again after such a failure.

He probably brings in around $50 million a year for his fights, based on 3 fights a year. Who knows with merchandising. It's a lot of money and far more than anyone else not name Ronda brings in.
His ppv sales alone would be more than that this year.

He and Ronda significantly increased the popularity of the sport as a whole, and obviously all him in 2016. I think the percent is intangible, but when you consider his effect on popularity + the pure profit he brings in I'm sure it's very significant.
Yes, that is something I forgot to mention too: the intangibles. For example, do you remember when people were tuning in to see Nik Lentz because he and Conor ere beefing? Or, how Frankie and Cub did really big numbers on their fight card, because everyone was interested in the FW division?

Also, you got things like ad revenue, and the like, from a rising tide lifts all boats. You got YouTube videos, this whole cyberweb economy that has sprouted up around Conor and the ad revenue from them too.

The energy of Conor events are so much different, there is this feeling of something monumental happening and people then will get excited about the UFC, tune into other events in the future. Brock Lesnar did the same thing back in the day and brought in a whole new demographic of fans, the UFC had a huge spike in revenue and then it died down when he left/lost his aura of invincibility.

So, when Conor calls himself 'the 4.2 billion dollar man', I really don't think that is a stretch. He may have not brought in 4.2 billion but when you consider his age, all the ways in which he has elevated so many things, I don't think it's a stretch. I think WME saw this spike in activity and did not realize how much it was Conor, and just like the Brock Era; when he goes, alot of that inflation will go with it. You can't artificially engineer excitement or re-create the perfect storm that Conor is.

he is the biggest draw but I think Mcgregor and his fans need to get a grip on reality.

he fights on 2- 3 cards a year and I doubt he ever does more than 2 fights a year for the rest of his career while the ufc puts on 50 plus events a year. Take Mcgregor off his record breaking cards with another big fight and those cards still do well, not as well but they still make money. it's not like Mcgregor accounts for every dollar that card brings in.
love him or hate him, he contributed for most of the income...hes hands down the most entertaining. hes slowly getting that aura of "I ONLY order McG fights to see him lose" which makes the company and himself a LOT of money.

His ppv sales alone would be more than that this year.
His PPV's this year are actually 6 times that, with 196, 202 and 205 pulling in about 300 million. If Conor wasn't on UFC 205, that gate goes from 17.2 million down to about 2 million. If Conor isn't on UFC 205, it goes from 1.7 million down to about 300-400K (that is being extremely generous too).

I would say it is hard to tell how much Conor can single handedly draw because the UFC will often stack his cards, with hot fighters like Holly post Ronda win and other champs. However, UFC 202 gave us glimpse into what Conor could single handedly draw, as he was basically the only fighter on the card that could pull PPV's and he ended up doing 1.65 milly. Stacked cards often serve as an incentive for on the fence buyers to shell out that extra money but I think Conor has blown that model up and could now draw equally well, even if he was the only event (aka Mayweather territory).

Yes, that is something I forgot to mention too: the intangibles. For example, do you remember when people were tuning in to see Nik Lentz because he and Conor ere beefing? Or, how Frankie and Cub did really big numbers on their fight card, because everyone was interested in the FW division?

Also, you got things like ad revenue, and the like, from a rising tide lifts all boats. You got YouTube videos, this whole cyberweb economy that has sprouted up around Conor and the ad revenue from them too.

The energy of Conor events are so much different, there is this feeling of something monumental happening and people then will get excited about the UFC, tune into other events in the future. Brock Lesnar did the same thing back in the day and brought in a whole new demographic of fans, the UFC had a huge spike in revenue and then it died down when he left/lost his aura of invincibility.

So, when Conor calls himself 'the 4.2 billion dollar man', I really don't think that is a stretch. He may have not brought in 4.2 billion but when you consider his age, all the ways in which he has elevated so many things, I don't think it's a stretch. I think WME saw this spike in activity and did not realize how much it was Conor, and just like the Brock Era; when he goes, alot of that inflation will go with it. You can't artificially engineer excitement or re-create the perfect storm that Conor is.
Agree with all except WME i think rhey knew they're in for. If a company is prepared to spend over 4 billion on an investment you damn sure they have weighed up all the pros and cons.

love him or hate him, he contributed for most of the income...hes hands down the most entertaining. hes slowly getting that aura of "I ONLY order McG fights to see him lose" which makes the company and himself a LOT of money.
I'd be really interested to see what Nate could draw by himself now too. In 2016, Nate went from an FS1 fighter, making 30k-30k, to the companies second biggest star while making multiple millions per event. Tho he won't fight anyone besides Conor, I wouldn't be surprised if he could now pull 500K ppv's by himself. That is an intangible that also cant be measured but certainly exists.

Agree with all except WME i think they knew they're in for. If a company is prepared to spend over 4 billion on an investment you damn sure they have weighed up all the pros and cons.
Yeah, you could well be right. I go back and forth with it in my head.

The owners not meeting Conor sends a message to me that they have more faith in the brand than the star. Also, owing to the fact that Ronda was like WME's guinea pig; the first fighter they signed and then managed to create her into a super star with all their connections in media, I think they are banking on being able to create more stars like her. IMO, this past FOX card was likely a prototype for things to come: matching up good looking prospects that have cross over appeal.

The question is, 'will it work'? Conor was able to draw more PPV's coming off a loss but Conor was more self made, not made by WME, the media and Hollywood. Tomorrow's PPV's should give us a good idea of how successful this new model is and how reliable the new/Hollywood model is in the fight business.

Yeah he brings in a lot probably but probably costs alot too.
Estimate 10% based on guts!

His PPV's this year are actually 6 times that, with 196, 202 and 205 pulling in about 300 million. If Conor wasn't on UFC 205, that gate goes from 17.2 million down to about 2 million. If Conor isn't on UFC 205, it goes from 1.7 million down to about 300-400K (that is being extremely generous too).

I would say it is hard to tell how much Conor can single handedly draw because the UFC will often stack his cards, with hot fighters like Holly post Ronda win and other champs. However, UFC 202 gave us glimpse into what Conor could single handedly draw, as he was basically the only fighter on the card that could pull PPV's and he ended up doing 1.65 milly. Stacked cards often serve as an incentive for on the fence buyers to shell out that extra money but I think Conor has blown that model up and could now draw equally well, even if he was the only event (aka Mayweather territory).
17.2million to 2 without mcgregor??? you are a idiot.

I'd be really interested to see what Nate could draw by himself now too. In 2016, Nate went from an FS1 fighter, making 30k-30k, to the companies second biggest star while making multiple millions per event. Tho he won't fight anyone besides Conor, I wouldn't be surprised if he could now pull 500K ppv's by himself. That is an intangible that also cant be measured but certainly exists.
I always thought Nate could pull off these #s to be honest they just never gave him the PPV chance

Edit: thats ppv income . No way of knowing his value in merchsndise, tv, and publicité deal w/o insider info i think.

Back