What people forget about Jon Jones...

Discussion in 'UFC Discussion' started by Tweak896, Dec 31, 2014.

1. Tweak896

Tweak896 Brown Belt

The fight was cancelled from a knee injury in August, and he is fighting 4 months later. The only fight before he pulled out before was the evans fight with a finger injury which he fought 1 month later anyways against Rampage.
    So not only is Jones going against an olympic wrestler, he his coming off a knee injury. I don't really think knees recover so easy and this fight is going to be very difficult for him.

2. MP15

MP15 Blue Belt

Isn't Cormier also carrying a knee injury that he postponed to have an operation on by taking the January fight?

3. yekmurat

yekmurat Silver Belt

Jones never played the hero...ıf he wasnt ready he wouldnt take the fight...

4. ericwmma

ericwmma White Belt

He had a surgery, not a serious one though. He was walking around the same week pretty sure.

5. Tweak896

Tweak896 Brown Belt

Cormier has never pulled out of a fight before because of an injury. Taking time to heal up is one thing, but he hasn't had to pull out. I know Cormier broke his right hand against Barnett. But you have to look at their last few fights.
    Cormier has finished his last two while Jones has gone to decision in his last two. Also Cormier is the more active fighter.

6. heavyarms21

heavyarms21 Ryozanpaku Belt

This. He would have crushed Chael in his short notice fight but even the smallest hint of not being ready he chose not to go , he will be close to 100% fight not , would be shocked otherwise

7. psyops

psyops Banned Banned

Win or lose expect jones to take a beating vs Cormier

8. Th3Sav4ge

Th3Sav4ge "What the fuck is happening!?"

Remember when him and Winkljon caught that mugger the day before or the day he fought shogun(i dont remember wich day)

9. _Keyser_Soze_

_Keyser_Soze_ Brown Belt

So you're looking at their last 2 fights to determine who the better fighter is? Mmkay.

Lets look at the quality of opposition for those fights, shall we?

Jones fought the number 1 and number 3 contenders at LHW (I don't have the energy to go back and look at the rankings, Glover was either ranked as the second or third contender at LHW, but Cormier MIGHT have been number 2). So Jones was fighting two guys who were legit top three fighters. Gus has been finished exactly ONCE in his career. And that was a few years ago. Glover hasn't been finished since his first fucking MMA fight. In 2002. So yeah, beating those guys by decision isn't exactly something to be ashamed of...

Now, on to Dan's opponents...

First off, I'm a huge Dan Henderson nut hugger. I admit this. I had tickets to UFC 151. (I also saw him actually fight at UFC 82, and SF Fedor v. Henderson). That said, Hendo is finished. Sure, he may win these days if you put him against a guy who is just going to stand and bang - and who also has mediocre to terrible cardio. But Dan is going to lose against top guys. And while Machida and Rashad didn't finish him, Vitor almost killed Dan. And it was clear that Cormier was simply too big and strong for Hendo. But Hendo isn't top five these days. Or even top 10 if you want to be honest. And Pat Cummins. Who took the fight on ten days notice? Um, you might want to rethink the comparison...

I am cheering for Jones on Saturday. I have no idea who is going to win the fight. But to shit on Jones for going to decision against two top five guys, while rewarding Cormier for finishing a 43 year old who is finished, and a coffee barista working on short notice? Come on man, you're better than that.

10. Tweak896

Tweak896 Brown Belt

Cormier was scheduled for better competition with Rashad and probably would have made it look easy.

The point is if you look objectively at the momentum, Jones had the fight of his life with Gus which is a really close fight back in 2013! Against Glover, Jones couldn't finish either even after snapping the guys shoulder and blinding him. It paints a picture of a championship slide.
    Where Cormier has fought a few times in the same amount of time and just stomped his competition.

Jones when he got the belt was finishing the unfinishable competition, but now he isn't finishing. You can chalk it up to higher competition or his own complacency.

I see it as cormier with more speed heading for Jones

11. Khabib Fan

Khabib Fan Physics is Religion

Sometimes they forget that he pokes his opponents in the eyes to keep them hesitant, also.

12. Scarzi

Scarzi Blue Belt

I would have pulled out of the evans fight with a finger injury when my most effective tactics are eye poking. :D

13. FlexBelt

FlexBelt Orange Belt

You're comparing Dan Henderson & Patrick Cummins to Glover Teixera & Gus? Two completely different levels of competition buddy.

14. ib313

ib313 Imagine a Dystopian UFC

"knee injury"

15. DarthChen731

DarthChen731 Gold Belt

This.

Also, Jones is too serious to take a fight with a bad injury. Dude wouldn't fight Chael on a week's notice even though he probably would have destroyed him just as bad then as he did a few months later. Jones will be fine.

16. MMAProfessional

MMAProfessional Golden Belt

Dude wins with his toe and arm ripped off. I don't think fighting recovered from an injury will be a problem

17. RowdyP4PGOAT

RowdyP4PGOAT Banned Banned

He had minor meniscus surgery everyone recovers at different speeds from it. I had the same surgery three weeks ago and my doctor said I'll be 100% in 4 weeks.

18. iboufring**

iboufring** Green Belt

Actually id give cummins a good chance against glover

19. MMAProfessional

MMAProfessional Golden Belt

Did you see Bader vs Glover?

20. SCADA

SCADA Guest

I bet JJ sends a bucket of Popeye's over to DC's room....