What people don't get about Erick Silva is that he's getting thrown to the wolves.

The guy is just an anomaly that's for sure. He's very good, he just can't seem to rise to the occasion. Would probably be the Bellator/WSOF champ.

He's been fighting since 2005. That's 9 years in the sport. How can you be "thrown to the wolves" with 9 years of fighting experience?

Thrown to the wolves, meaning DHK and Matt Brown? Lol

2 years ago he was supposed to be the future WW champion. His hype was ridiculous

He clearly shouldn't be fighting guys in the top 10 and that's what I just really don't understand. Ya he was ridiculously overhyped, so now let the guy string together a few wins before he gets another top fighter.

See what they did to build up Brown and then get back to me.

I don't get you. Silva was the favorite in the fight. He is no prospect. Someone has to lose in order for the other to win. Silva was the favorite in this fight and it was the biggest win of Brown's career

Dude he is 29 not 22. If he isn't ready to compete at the top level now, when will he be?

A mid level fighter should be fighting other mid level fighters. Not one no name and then a top ten. Makes no sense. His record just looks stupid. Yes as of now he can't deal with the top 10 which is why he shouldn't be fighting them, for now.

Good point. Send him to Bellator or WSOF. Obviously isn't ready for the UFC.

Not sure how fighting lesser opponents is going to help him accel at this point.

What exactly is the point again anyway?

The problem is that the UFC want to make this guy a star. The only way to do that is to put him in big fights. He's not exactly young so they needed to rush him. They believed their own hype and put him in their against a declining Fitch, hoping Silva would win and catapult him into title shot contention. That didn't work out. They realized that maybe he wasn't ready for a top 10 guy yet.

So they fed him a can to recharge the hype and then put him against a decent top 15 fighter in DHK... that didn't work.

Then they fed him another can to recharge the hype again and then put him against another decent top 15 fighter in Matt Brown... that didn't work.

Now they are shit out of luck with this guy. It's obvious he's not good enough to beat the top 12 or 13 fighters in the division. But the UFC still has delusional hopes that he can be star. I wouldn't be surprised if they give him another ranked opponent hoping some kind of upset will happen. It is really the only way they can push Silva as some contender.

I remember some interview with him after he smashed Sato and he was called

wait for it...

a contender:icon_chee

I almost spilled my drink. Ridiculous hype.
UFC needs a high ranked brazillian in WW, yet the best they have is 36y old Maia who is on a 2 loss streak.

He's been fighting since 2005. That's 9 years in the sport. How can you be "thrown to the wolves" with 9 years of fighting experience?

Nine years in the sport, and he's older than every current champ in the UFC except for Weidman and Cain.

This thread is laughable.

I think it was a fair match.

Brown out worked him and Silva was unable to capitalise on the body kicks which could have ended the fight several times.

Brown won, but its not like Silva was blown out of the water.

All this "let him develop" bullshit is coded language for "let him keep crushing cans." If Silva is the top 10 WW talent everyone seems to think he is then he should be able to beat the DHKs and Matt Browns of the world.

No way, if his opponents were considered wolves, then by default he is pretty damn far back compared to the others in his weight class. This equation just doesn't add up.

He should go and crash that Japanese can they found for him at the closest sushi bar.

I personally think MMA prospects are too quickly thrown into the deep end. Some guys can keep their head above water and thrive, like Jon Jones, other guys like Erick Silva need time to be built up and get their experience.

The UFC quit "building" fighter's a long time ago. I think it only became a topic when Rampage (and I can be called a hater of him) wasn't the first to experience this on a high level when he fought Chuck at UFC 71, just the most vocal (biggest mouth
). He wanted to be built up in the UFC (fan base and experience wise) but was given a title fight after beating Marvin Eastman. So he fights Chuck again and KO's him quick and easy. Then he went bat shit crazy when Forrest Griffin easily decisioned him. Now he is doing what? Spending more time talking shit about the UFC and Dana, and proving that he is a better fighter than guys the UFC wouldn't sign.

Since then I can't think of any fighter that hasn't been treated the same, and many before him. Lesnar got Mir in a co-main when he was 1-0. Toney got Randy. Jones, Cain, Bigfoot, JDS, DC, Franklin, GSP, Boetsch, Okami, Sonnen, Anderson Silva, etc.

Oh, shit no even that doesn't make sense!

Ok, ok, I know what it is:

The promoter paying you to fight hypes you up because he thinks you are a good enough fighter to make him money. And when you don't he quits paying you. Holy shit I just came up with a business plan for combat sports! :D

He was the fav going in. Stop with this non sense. People just underestimate Brown. Period. Brown is a killer.

He is average for ufc WW, not good enough to be a contender any more

Back