What people don't get about Erick Silva is that he's getting thrown to the wolves.

I think ts has a good point here, too much too fast for erick. He's not good enough at this point.

He was arrogant as hell before the Fitch fight and thought he was going to walk through him. Believe me, the UFC isn't twisting his arm to fight against top guys, he's 30 years old now and he wants to fight the best.

You are looking at it with a victim's mentality, Erick Silva is looking at it as the UFC is granting him with the opportunity to fight top guys and quickly move up the ranks to a title shot.

All fighters are wolves in UFC. The WW division has also always been the deepest division. Eric Silva should consider himself lucky to keep getting top 15 guys. Most fighters call out big names only to get denied and have to climb through the ladder the hard way. Sometimes fighters have to talk shit and make up bullshit feuds just to get quality opponents. If you can't hang with top 15 guys after a few wins, then maybe you are just a gatekeeper. UFC isn't looking to build mediocre fighters. They want the best.

I think ts has a good point here, too much too fast for erick. He's not good enough at this point.

Two_fast_two_furious_ver5.jpg

Make no mistake. Every single time he was "thrown to the wolves" by the UFC it was with the expectation Silva would win.

They've been trying to fast track him since day 1 because they saw the obvious potential. He's big in Brazil, has a fan friendly fighting style, young, and very talented. It's gone pretty bad as it's backfired each time.

This has hardly being thrown to the wolves. Every person in the top ten right now aside from brown, has been thrown to the wolves.

It's because the welterweight division is crazy deep and the UFC often puts people they see making the top 10 in challenging fights. This is hardly being thrown to the wolves, particularly when Erick Silva was a champion of jungle fights and had a decent amount of experience.

The problem is Erick Silva isn't that good and is getting raped by the UFC gauntlet. Thus he's not UFC level to begin with. He's exciting but only because cans are being put in front of him. Put cans in front of any of the top 10 right now and these cans will get similarly lit up but even more so.

The problem is Erick Silva has a false sense of confidence because he's lighting up these cans. He just isn't that good and this talent that people are hyping him to have is an illusion. Its reminds me of people thinking Kimbo slice is good. He's great in a fighting league like jungle fights but in the UFC, he's either wins against cans or devastated against good fighters.

The only way I feel Erick proves himself to not be a can crusher is if they give him a challenging fight for his next fight. Giving him another can is only going to give him a false sense of confidence and repeat this cycles he's on.

I say Erick needs to be put in a do or die situation his next fight for him to improve. I suggest making him fight some one on the fringe of top 10 like Kampmann. If he loses cut him. This last loss should be a wake up call for his cardio and if he did lose to Kampmann, the loss would be likely a spectacular knock out. In such a case, he should be cut for his own sake. 3KO in 4 fights would be a signals he's not good enough for the UFC and staying would just put his own life in Danger.

I get what you're saying TS. I agree. Not only did Silva not deserve this fight after beating Sato, but this really does nothing for Matt Brown in my opinion. I still can't put him top 6 in the division even with a 7 fight win streak. Brown deserved a better fight than this. Somebody in the top 10. Silva is maybe top 15. He does have a lot of heart though. Impressed with that.

His hype grew faster than his skill. Ufc wanted to take advantage of that hype in order to sell fights,

He's a mid level guy, a very talented, exciting mid level guy.

This is why the UFC is trying to take him to the next level.

He's just not good enough though.

Lol fuck the phrase! That's the point, Silva shouldn't be matched up with these guys cause he's just not on the same level. I'm 100% certain he'd have a 6-7 fight win streak too if he fought all of Matt Brown's competition instead of Fitch and DHK. No one wants to talk about that though.....

I dunno, would like to see him fight Pyle.

Sink or swim. He's closing in on 30 and is basically the same fighter from UFC 134.

Erick is 29 years old, he's not some kid.

He keeps getting CHANCES to prove he's more than just a PROSPECT.
And it turns out, every time he faces tough opponents, he LOSES.

Jason High is his only quality win.
Jon Fitch was the only match up that has maybe been too much of a step up.

Silva is athletically built and has a youthful face. So what? The dude is good looking (no homo). As a fighter he's like a nice lookin sports car with no gas in the tank. Even a Pinto with gas can beat a Ferrari with no gas. Silva has many favorable traits as a fighter, but let's face it he just isn't top 5 material. He could be, but I won't hold my breath. When the going gets tough he wilts. I hope he gets a big name his next fight and proved me wrong.

If you want to advance you have to beat good guys, its that simple.

I personally think MMA prospects are too quickly thrown into the deep end. Some guys can keep their head above water and thrive, like Jon Jones, other guys like Erick Silva need time to be built up and get their experience.

This metaphor is kind of funny considering Jon Jones' height.

The UFC are shooting themselves in the foot with the way they're fast-tracking him to a top contender whenever he beats a jobber in the 1st round. He could be a star, but never will be because he's getting over-matched with every victory.

Back