What people don't get about Erick Silva is that he's getting thrown to the wolves.

no not even close. his last opponent was thrown to the wolves.. fact is silva is a mid level fighter, can take out cans but any real competition and he wilts.

A mid level fighter should be fighting other mid level fighters. Not one no name and then a top ten. Makes no sense. His record just looks stupid. Yes as of now he can't deal with the top 10 which is why he shouldn't be fighting them, for now.

Lol, he is not 20....... You act like he is just some kid that needs to work his way up. Don't let that baby face fool ya

The DHK fight made sense at the time. The Fitch fight might have been a bit too soon but the guy isn't some kid, they wanted to see how good he is and seeing how Fitch's career continued in hindsight it really wasn't a mismatch or anything

Putting him in there with Brown last night didn't make sense for either fighter. Sure did make for a good fight tho.

This is classic UFC matchmaking.

Dana and Co. WANT Silva to be ready for these fights, they WANT him to be better than he is right now, so they throw him in there hoping he'll make a name for himself and get the dudes respect and the ladies wet.

Sadly, he's gotten his ass kicked in 3 fights where he stepped up in comp and he'll probably be out of the UFC in 2 fights if this match making pattern persists.

The kid has talent and a HUGE heart, I don't understand why they can't be patient with him and let him develop.

This is exactly what I was thinking. I hope that in 2 fights he doesn't get another top 10 guy. I think one of the only times the UFC has had worse matchmaking has been with Sexyama.

Ya he's a very good fighter, I just hope the UFC machine doesn't chew him up and spit him out.

This is exactly what I was thinking. I hope that in 2 fights he doesn't get another top 10 guy. I think one of the only times the UFC has had worse matchmaking has been with Sexyama.

Ya he's a very good fighter, I just hope the UFC machine doesn't chew him up and spit him out.

The biggest difference between Eric and Sexy, looks aside (lets be fair to Erik, m'kay), was that every time Sex got beat, they matched him up with an even tougher opponent!! !
He never had a chance.

he never had a chance...

The DHK fight made sense at the time. The Fitch fight might have been a bit too soon but the guy isn't some kid, they wanted to see how good he is and seeing how Fitch's career continued in hindsight it really wasn't a mismatch or anything

Putting him in there with Brown last night didn't make sense for either fighter. Sure did make for a good fight tho.

Fitch was a major mismatch and Silva hadn't beaten anybody to deserve the DHK fight. Again, they probably thought Silva would run thru DHK because that can Carlos Condit knocked him the f* out....

The Sato fight is the only really weird fight, and even then pretty much everyone said it was stupid matchmaking and should never have happened. I think the matchmaking for Silva has been fine. Remember, he's almost 30. They can't build him up for THAT long

I am pretty sure Sato was a late replacement

The UFC has had some questionable match ups in the past.
A prime example would be Ryan Couture vs Ross Pearson.
Some may even say Lesnar/Mir 1.
I think what the UFC try to do, like u said, is hype the shit out of a fighter either based on their famous name (Couture) or popularity (Lesnar) or because of their achievements prior into entering the UFC & that they believe that their prospect is as good as they say they are.
Remember Cain? Only had 2 fights outside of the UFC before fighting experienced veterans right of the bat & of course destroying all of them, as they 'believed' he was as good as everyone was hyping him up to be.
Erick Silva has proved to be no Velasquez or Lesnar of course, yet they still try to market him as the next big thing, a rising prospect, as they want to believe that he still is.
It just so happens that Joe Silva's plans have backfired on him due to Erick Silva's inability to rise to the occasion, that is all.
Conor McGregor will be next once he faces his first top 10.

"Thrown to the wolves" is a made up phrase people in denial use to justify a fighter's string of losses. It's a bullshit phrase that should never be used, everyone's a wolf and if you can't beat X fighter on any given night, you aren't good enough to be there in the first place.

The biggest difference between Eric and Sexy, looks aside (lets be fair to Erik, m'kay), was that every time Sex got beat, they matched him up with an even tougher opponent!! !
He never had a chance.

he never had a chance...

Yes I know, it was incredibly depressing! He's supposed to come back this year. I'm still holding onto a little hope of him getting another UFC win.

Haha Sexyama really puts Silva's looks into perspective huh? No one can match the Sex.

"Thrown to the wolves" is a made up phrase people in denial use to justify a fighter's string of losses. It's a bullshit phrase that should never be used, everyone's a wolf and if you can't beat X fighter on any given night, you aren't good enough to be there in the first place.

Lol fuck the phrase! That's the point, Silva shouldn't be matched up with these guys cause he's just not on the same level. I'm 100% certain he'd have a 6-7 fight win streak too if he fought all of Matt Brown's competition instead of Fitch and DHK. No one wants to talk about that though.....

I mean the jump from Brenneman to Fitch was pretty big but in hindsight not really. When he entered the UFC he smashed whoever that first guy was, and then Prater. 2 in a row in like 30 seconds or some shit. So then they gave him a step up to Brenneman. Tapped him in the first round, looked pretty unbeatable, then they gave him a tough veteran long time contender in Fitch, and he fought pretty well but lost.

Then a slight step down in Jason High, another veteran. Sub him in the first round as well. Top 15 DHK like you said. Lost.

The Sato fight is the only really weird fight, and even then pretty much everyone said it was stupid matchmaking and should never have happened. I think the matchmaking for Silva has been fine. Remember, he's almost 30. They can't build him up for THAT long

I've felt the same as TS when it comes to Erik Silva but reading your breakdown of his fights is making me flip flop now, hahaha I think we might get that vibe of being thrown to wolves because of the way in which he has lost that stands out

It's true, and maybe the UFC will realize they need to let him grow a a fighter.

The guy has 21 fights, 8 in the UFC. He won his first 3(yeah he had a DQ, but i think it counts as a win) and has been fighting since 2006, 8 years. The guy is not this young kid people make him out to be, he turns 30 in a month.
If he ever wants to be champion he needs to be given step up in competition, and it

Fitch was a major mismatch and Silva hadn't beaten anybody to deserve the DHK fight. Again, they probably thought Silva would run thru DHK because that can Carlos Condit knocked him the f* out....

I did say in hindsight. Fitch has won one fight since Silva and it was a split dec over a guy without a wiki page.

Even at the time though Fitch was coming off a ten month lay off from injury and was winless the previous year with the draw to Penn and short KO to Hendricks.

It was certainly a big step up for Silva but it's something the UFC does fairly often.

DHK wasn't exactly at the top of the division. Higher up than Silva but still not throwing him to the wolves.

So how long should the UFC take to build and almost 30-year old fighter?

Back