What people don't get about Erick Silva is that he's getting thrown to the wolves.

Karatekakid

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
All of his wins were to guys that are far from the top 20 in the UFC. Then all of his losses are to top 10 fighters, with DHK being like top 15. His biggest problem IMO is him being so hyped up and getting thrown to fight these beasts right away. How does a guy go from fighting an unranked guy in Takenori Sato or Jason High to then fighting Matt Brown and DHK? That's just shitty matchmaking and I think that this is his biggest issue.

Seriously look at his very consistent level in opponents.....

Charlie Brenneman then Jon Fitch.
Next.
Jason High then DHK.
Next.
Takenori Sato then Matt Brown.

Lol wtf kind of matchmaking is this? Ya guys need to step up in competition and all of that but he clearly hasn't been ready. Give him 2 or 3 fights a build the guy up. How the fuck do you go around fighting a guy outside the top 20 to top 10 Matt Brown? Same can be said about his other fights. He is not being built up at all.

THIS is his biggest issue. The guy is a top 20 fighter, not bad, just needs to slowly fight better guys. Look at Thatch, Gastelum, McGregor, Nelson, Jury, Michael Johnson, hell even Alex Caceres and fuck even Matt Brown!

I'm a fan of both fighters and had Matt Brown winning this fight. How the hell anyone had him as the underdog blows my mind.

Now look at Matt Brown's 7 fight win streak. Had Silva fought all of these guys he'd also more than likely be on a huge streak. This is just shitty matchmaking end of story. Silva goes from dominating a guy that isn't on his level to trying to swim in the deep end with the big boys. Build him up ffs. At least a little bit.

There's no reason why he should have ever been fighting these top guys so early, and at least not so many of them. His own hype has been fucking him up.

I personally think MMA prospects are too quickly thrown into the deep end. Some guys can keep their head above water and thrive, like Jon Jones, other guys like Erick Silva need time to be built up and get their experience.

I mean the jump from Brenneman to Fitch was pretty big but in hindsight not really. When he entered the UFC he smashed whoever that first guy was, and then Prater. 2 in a row in like 30 seconds or some shit. So then they gave him a step up to Brenneman. Tapped him in the first round, looked pretty unbeatable, then they gave him a tough veteran long time contender in Fitch, and he fought pretty well but lost.

Then a slight step down in Jason High, another veteran. Sub him in the first round as well. Top 15 DHK like you said. Lost.

The Sato fight is the only really weird fight, and even then pretty much everyone said it was stupid matchmaking and should never have happened. I think the matchmaking for Silva has been fine. Remember, he's almost 30. They can't build him up for THAT long

Sucks to be a "good looking" stand up fighter from Brazil

The problem is the fans over-hype him. The UFC is just putting up against people they think he is ready for.

He's getting hte Charles Oliveira treatment

You put good looking in quotes like you wouldn't give him an oil massage.

don't lie.

I didn't find Tony Danza attractive then, and I don't now

Ah yes, the world class Jason High and Takenori Sato. I feel for him, he hasn't fought any bums, but people, including him, believe his ceiling is somewhere in the top-10, and he's been marketed and contracted accordingly. To do that, he's going to need to beat guys like Brown.

only one I don't think made sense is the Matt Brown fight. after getting KO'd by Dong he smashes a nobody in Sato and then gets a top 10? didn't make any sense.

amazingly he started out like everyone thought and almost finished Brown. I think he could beat anyone in the first 3 minutes. he's very dangerous at the start.

obviously, Matt Brown was too big of a step up from Sato, though.

I mean the jump from Brenneman to Fitch was pretty big but in hindsight not really. When he entered the UFC he smashed whoever that first guy was, and then Prater. 2 in a row in like 30 seconds or some shit. So then they gave him a step up to Brenneman. Tapped him in the first round, looked pretty unbeatable, then they gave him a tough veteran long time contender in Fitch, and he fought pretty well but lost.

Then a slight step down in Jason High, another veteran. Sub him in the first round as well. Top 15 DHK like you said. Lost.

The Sato fight is the only really weird fight, and even then pretty much everyone said it was stupid matchmaking and should never have happened. I think the matchmaking for Silva has been fine. Remember, he's almost 30. They can't build him up for THAT long

Ya I agree but then I don't After his Fitch loss I feel like they didn't have to push him too much, but DHK has been on the rise. After THAT loss going from Sato to Brown made no sense. Ya I get it, but it must be because he's popular. Brown built a 6 now 7 fight streak fighting guys Silva would probably maul as well.

no not even close. his last opponent was thrown to the wolves.. fact is silva is a mid level fighter, can take out cans but any real competition and he wilts.

This is classic UFC matchmaking.

Dana and Co. WANT Silva to be ready for these fights, they WANT him to be better than he is right now, so they throw him in there hoping he'll make a name for himself and get the dudes respect and the ladies wet.

Sadly, he's gotten his ass kicked in 3 fights where he stepped up in comp and he'll probably be out of the UFC in 2 fights if this match making pattern persists.

The kid has talent and a HUGE heart, I don't understand why they can't be patient with him and let him develop.

He's 29. If he doesn't make the cut now he's never gonna make it.

Very true. I just don't get fans who change their mind in such an off putting way and turn on fighters after a loss. I'm a bigger fan of both Silva and Brown after tonight.

Back