What options do you have when you have someone in guard..

S

Splatterbeast

as a beginner? So far the only options that I know of are

-armbar
-triangle
-sweep (very difficult, rarely happens)
-keep the guy there all day (which is usually what ends up happening)

If someone tries to stack you are you done for?

Gi or no gi?

If a guy tries to stack you then walk your shoulders back.

You've got thousands of options, really. Just keep drilling your sweeps and the triangle/armbar/omaplata combo.

You have a ton of options, if your just starting I would work on breaking posture. Use both your legs and grips to do so. Most sweeps and submissions start from posture breaking.

Arm drag.
Omoplata.
Transition to half guard.

I noticed you listed submissions first and noted sweeps were hard. As a beginner, don't focus so hard on submissions. Focus on breaking their posture/grips and pay attention to how they distribute their weight/balance. Once you start noticing their weight distribution, sweeps will make more sense and will come easier. Certain sweeps are much easier with the right timing, for example, if you break their posture or pull their head down, when they come up, that is a much better time for a situp sweep, as opposed to when they are just sitting there draped over you.

Try this. Next to you are sparring try moving your opponent in different directions using your whole body and see their reactions. It's not always the first move that works, but it's your counter to their defense.

Example:
YouTube - Pedro Sauer Sit up sweep Technique

Last edited:
if someone tries to stack, there are simply scenarios as far as taking your legs and underhooking them under their hips, unless they completely stack you then you are in trouble.

people will tell you to try to kimura and what not and sometimes use that one side to help set up for a triangle.

someone posted something up a while ago but using a "grasshopper guard" which is when people specifically have a double leg pass on you (but of course before they completely stack you) but a lot of it will probably be a little beyond you.

i would try to address the positions before you get stacked that are giving you trouble such as maybe too loose of an open guard? but then this all comes back to whether or not you want to be preventative and work on things before they happen or just work from bad positions you may invariably be in.

You got the kimura, omapolata, and lots of sweeps. With the gi, you have a number of collar chokes.You also have the option of arm drags, which will allow you to take the back. I'm sure there's alot more options, but those are what come to mind.

i like doing kimuras from guard. sometimes ill even pull guard to hit a kimura

Feel out triangles/armbars/omoplates and kimuras, but most of the time its all about sweeps from the bottom as well as arm drags.

Feel out triangles/armbars/omoplates and kimuras, but most of the time its all about sweeps from the bottom as well as arm drags.

you like the arm drag from closed guard? I only use it from butterfly and open guard-- what do you, specifically, use it for from closed guard?

btw, love your username

I'm always a fan of grabbing the collar or the head and standing up in base (technical stand up).

I'm always a fan of grabbing the collar or the head and standing up in base (technical stand up).

what do you mean? standing up from closed guard, with a lapel grip? double or single?

I train UFC and your only hope is that the ref ends it quickly cuz I'm ground and pounding yo' ass.

-armbar
-triangle

This may sound weird, but adding on the kimura, you really can make a solid game out of those. Sweeps get easier as time goes on, but they're an essential part of the game. Just stay on the mats and things will fall in place.

-armbar
-triangle

you just need to train more:
option 1: submit.
option 2: sweep.
There are 100s of techniques for both options.

How can someone stack you in your own guard?

Back