What, No Knees, Really Junior?

I was alot more suprised JDS didnt throw any uppercuts.

Cain was so open for uppercuts since he closed in so obviously with his head down all the time, but JDS never capitalized on that.

He threw a few upper cuts, but with Cain winging in that overhand right it was a risky maneuver.

I thought a couple of times now would be a good time to throw a knee while Cain is taking a nap against your shoulder. Guess JDS didn't see it that way though.

I thought a couple of times now would be a good time to throw a knee while Cain is taking a nap against your shoulder. Guess JDS didn't see it that way though.

Most unfortunate.

*Left to the body*
*Get punched in the face*
*Left to the body*
*Left to the body*
*Left to the body*
*Left to the body*

I thought a couple of times now would be a good time to throw a knee while Cain is taking a nap against your shoulder.

Was that before or after JDS could barely stand, let alone walk in a straight line?

I don't think knees were the answer. He probably would have been taken down even more.

I think JDS needed to have his guard up more, protecting his head, and have better transitional defense between defending strikes and takedowns.

I was alot more suprised JDS didnt throw any uppercuts.

Cain was so open for uppercuts since he closed in so obviously with his head down all the time, but JDS never capitalized on that.

He had trouble capializing most of the fight.
1st round cost him alot if not, the fight.

dude he was already done in the first half of the first round
game plan discussions are irrelevant at this point

Junior could have done a lot more things, utilizing more knees being one of them.

It seems during the first round, Junior's strategy became to let cain gas himself going for all those take downs.

It looked like cain was throwing a jab then shooting for the td but failing the td. Then Cain threw the jab and followed with the 2 and caught JR, not sure if cain set it up but it worked. he fought his fight and won, hats off to Cain.

I don't think knees were the answer. He probably would have been taken down even more.

I think JDS needed to have his guard up more, protecting his head, and have better transitional defense between defending strikes and takedowns.

His hands were dangerously low, I agree with that part.

Do you know how difficult it is to throw knees at a top division wrestler in the clinch when you are trying to stay on your feet. Cain isnt Rich Franklin, he is an aggressive wrestler and JDS does not throw knees regularly nor do I think he is comfortable throwing knees.

JDS isnt Kongo who is a kickboxer and you expect him to experiment with knees in this fight.

To wrestle with Cain JDS was trying to keep his balance and the fear of the take down was the biggest issue on JDS's boxing being negated and you expect him to throw a knee inside the clinch with the fear of a takedown and a possible loss of balance, its a bit much.

The fear of the take down is indeed a real legitimate fear of the takedown. Experimenting in those situations when you are uncomfortable and trying to keep your balance, and not use to throwing knees is a bit of a stretch.

Last edited:
JDS isnt Kongo who is a kickboxer and you expect him to experiment with knees in this fight.

That's the point, he's going to have to add them to his arsenal.

Knees are a valuable tool.

Look at what Overeem can do to a wrestler with a well timed knee.

Junior is handicapping himself without them.

Anderson knees wrestlers.

Junior has better TTD.

So no.

True indeed.

I'm not talking about flying knees in the middle of the octagon.

I'm talking about knees from the clinch ala Kongo.

JDS could and should have used them.

He could have won the fight with them.
wait what huh?

anderson has knee'd wrestlers... standing? when? he's only fought two decent wrestlers in the UFC (Sonnen and Henderson) and even if I give you Okami (more of a judo guy) I don't remember him throwing standing knees at them...

and dos santos has better takedown defense? Where the fuck does that come from lol?

Was it JDS defending gonzaga's takedown? was it him keeping his distance from cain early in round 1 of fight 2 and thus being able to step out from the weak single leg attempts? Cause every time cain went for a good takedown, JDS tended to go down.

And Anderson, outside of the first sonnen fight, has had amazing takedown defense. stopped chael in the 2nd. Stopped henderson. and stopped everyone else easily except for travis lutter but his knees were busted up

dos santos throws very few kicks and no knees at all.

Back