Opinion What Newspapers do you Regularly Read? Subscribe to?

Hollywood Jack

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
Reaction score
I figured this thread could be a little break from the typical partisan political threads here. So what are your main reading sources for news? Personally, I'm currently subscribed to The New York Times, The Washington Post, The Boston Globe and The Baltimore Sun. To be clear, these are digital subscriptions

I have long term subscriptions with The New York Times and The Washington Post for a reasonable price. I have trial memberships which I am canceling for The Boston Globe and The Baltimore Sun. I get 8 weeks for $0.99 from The Baltimore Sun. 26 weeks for $1 from The Boston Globe.

I'm canceling The Boston Globe even though it's a decent paper and I live in Boston because they want too much money ($6.93/week) after the trial period. I'm canceling The Baltimore Sun because while it's useful in the short term for some The Wire related queries (I recently finished re-watching that series), I don't really have any connection to or long time interest in Baltimore.

The New York Times and The Washington Post are useful in the long term for national and international news and I regularly cite them here or on Wikipedia or wherever. Anyway, let me know what you all think...

Foreign Policy is the only one I sub to. Most everything else that I care about is either industry mags or tech sites.

Foreign Policy is the only one I sub to. Most everything else that I care about is either industry mags or tech sites.
I haven't read that in quite some time and I haven't read it often. Thanks for reminding me of its existence. :)

I figured this thread could be a little break from the typical partisan political threads here. So what are your main reading sources for news? Personally, I'm currently subscribed to The New York Times, The Washington Post, The Boston Globe and The Baltimore Sun. To be clear, these are digital subscriptions

I have long term subscriptions with The New York Times and The Washington Post for a reasonable price. I have trial memberships which I am canceling for The Boston Globe and The Baltimore Sun. I get 8 weeks for $0.99 from The Baltimore Sun. 26 weeks for $1 from The Boston Globe.

I'm canceling The Boston Globe even though it's a decent paper and I live in Boston because they want too much money ($6.93/week) after the trial period. I'm canceling The Baltimore Sun because while it's useful in the short term for some The Wire related queries (I recently finished re-watching that series), I don't really have any connection to or long time interest in Baltimore.

The New York Times and The Washington Post are useful in the long term for national and international news and I regularly cite them here or on Wikipedia or wherever. Anyway, let me know what you all think...

Hataw Tabloid.

For the tranny fapable frontpage
images

images

I don’t subscribe to any newspaper or online site, but I try to get a variety of sources when I read the news, as there are obvious slants in most large news agencies.

None. Why the fuck would I pay any mind to the vestigial legacy media?

Same. Grew up on the WaPo and just can’t see myself giving My money to it for what it has become.
I sometimes pay for the nikkei newspaper but that’s a rarity. Same with the Wall Street journal, I’ll buy one now and again but not that often
It's definitely gone downhill since Bezos bought them out. Similar to Whole Foods. When I lived in the D.C. area in the mid-2000s, it was still an excellent paper. They have a VERY obvious biased slant now based on Bezos' worldview. Their fact checks are often outright laughable now.

The Hill, Politico, The Economist, Slate, The Dispatch, National Review, Slow Boring

Others but I think those cover the majority of my reads.

I pay for the substacks and have been considering adding the economist but they give a lot of free content with podcasts and articles that it might not be worth it

I have subscriptions to The New Yorker and National Geographic. Also National Geographic History, although that usually doesn't deal with any current news. Jane Mayer is imo one of the best investigative journalists around:

https://www.newyorker.com/contributors/jane-mayer

Other than that I usually will check out Google News to see what the top stories are.

Try to read a lot of current books too. Rage by Bob Woodward and Russian Roulette by Michael Isikoff and David Corn were two particularly good ones I read in the last 2 or so years.

I think traditional news outlets have lost much of their subscribers. Leading to more desperate efforts of generating revenue, leading to loss of trust by much if the public, leading to more desperate measures, so on and so forth.

I tend to poke around AP, BBC and RT. Gives me an interesting cross section.

I think traditional news outlets have lost much of their subscribers. Leading to more desperate efforts of generating revenue, leading to loss of trust by much if the public, leading to more desperate measures, so on and so forth.

I tend to poke around AP, BBC and RT. Gives me an interesting cross section.
They all experienced significant digital-subscription growth during the Trump era actually. Trump's constant attacks were a boon the traditional news outlets. Led to increased revenues, earnings, etc.

The New York Times' share price was about $11 when Trump was elected. When he left office it was about $53. A hell of a run for just 4 years.

They all experienced significant digital-subscription growth during the Trump era actually. Trump's constant attacks were a boon the traditional news outlets. Led to increased revenues, earnings, etc.

The New York Times' share price was about $11 when Trump was elected. When he left office it was about $53. A hell of a run for just 4 years.
Was the trend the same before the 2016 election ramp up and do you think that growth will continue?

Was the trend the same before the 2016 election ramp up and do you think that growth will continue?
They were struggling a bit before 2016. Digital ads were not bringing in the amount of $ that print ads used to bring in for them, and many people were dropping the physical copies of their paper in favor of digital. But when Trump was elected there was a 10x increase in new paid subscriptions from the prior year. Every time he called them "The Failing New York Times" it would just make people subscribe to them.

They're still doing well post-Trump although it's only been a few months. I think they'll be fine.

They were struggling a bit before 2016. Digital ads were not bringing in the amount of $ that print ads used to bring in for them, and many people were dropping the physical copies of their paper in favor of digital. But when Trump was elected there was a 10x increase in new paid subscriptions from the prior year. Every time he called them "The Failing New York Times" it would just make people subscribe to them.

They're still doing well post-Trump although it's only been a few months. I think they'll be fine.
I think they get A LOT of people to sign up for the cheap trial period and then a lot of them keep the full price running for a while. They kinda make it difficult to cancel the subscription. Right now with The Boston Globe, you can't do it online, you've got to call a busy customer service number. I had to stay on the line a long time and then get a call back. And now I've got to call back the call back 24 hours later in order to seal the deal...

I think they're going to miss the Orange Buffoon and will latch onto something else that can easily rile up their base and they can go to the well with repeatedly. Outrage, whether justified or not, sells, is easily sold by using lies of omission or other means and people seem addicted to outrage and seeing those they disagree with vilified.

I'm not much of an idealistic schmuck, but would love to see a reliable, not for profit outlet that only focuses on the who, where, what, why and when of stories.

Back