What Muay Thai is missing (For me at least)

Discussion in 'Standup Technique' started by Lawblaw, Aug 6, 2015.

1. Lawblaw

Lawblaw Black Belt

I love Muay Thai, I've been doing it for sometime now and I think its the most complete striking art.

I'm not really a believer that this martial art is for "self defense" and this one is for "competition" but I am also very interested in Wing Chun.

I think I love Wing Chun because of the spiritual part of it or the aura it has (even though it might not be true) which is what Muay Thai is missing. I like Wong Shun Leung, Ip Man, Bruce Lee etc.

I like boxing and MMA but I'm not really a "professional fighter". I just love practicing martial arts.

Any suggestions? Maybe I just don't understand Muay Thai

2. fluffball

fluffball Brown Belt

I don't understand how you're connecting fighting and spirituality.

If MT is your favorite martial art, study that. If you want to find the super natural, take a religion studies course at your local community college.

MT ain't magic, that's for sure, exact opposite of that.

3. Cyclone Mike

Cyclone Mike Amateur Fighter

Muay Thai is deeply spiritually. It is a martial art that is refined through full contact competition.

4. fluffball

fluffball Brown Belt

Complete contradiction combined with a healthy amount of 1960s marketing and bullshit.

MT is not a religion, nor is boxing nor Kung Fu nor any of that shit.

5. Lawblaw

Lawblaw Black Belt

And yes I'm a nerd

6. Cyclone Mike

Cyclone Mike Amateur Fighter

When you seal the ring from evil and perform ram muay imitating the actions of the gods from Ramayana... That's not spiritual? The blessed mongkol isn't spiritual?

I don't know what the contradiction is.

7. fluffball

fluffball Brown Belt

The contradiction is that has nothing to do with martial arts, that's Hindi or Buddhist or whatever variation of garbage you want to force onto punching people in the face.

Martial arts are not religion. The culture something came from might be religious, but it's not religious when you remove the 12th century context.

Try forcing your average MT school to pray with you and see how many of them kick you out of the school.

8. Snubnoze707

Snubnoze707 High Level

In every Muay Thai gym in Thailand praying, believing in spirits, etc... Is common. Nakmuay litterally pray during the Wai Kru in the ring in front of an audience before every single fight.

Are you that clueless about the sport?

9. fluffball

fluffball Brown Belt

In THAILAND. They believe in magic there. You have to ask a ghost's permission to stay in a house there for fucks sake.

Try forming a prayer circle in Brooklyn. It's the CULTURE, not the MARTIAL ART.

10. moonwolf

moonwolf Dalton's Roadhouse Beef Rib Eating Champion

REAL muay thai, as in muay thai in thailand/ muay boran etc is 100% spiritual and even has techniques whose names that reference Buddha. what you are doing, mc-muay thai, american muay thai/'ufc muay thai' is 0% spirituality. there is a big difference between practicing a martial art and just practicing some basic techniques of a martial art. it sounds like you are doing the latter.

11. fluffball

fluffball Brown Belt

You're right, I now am Buddhist. Thank you for helping me find the way. I also realize you can kill me with your spirituality.

12. SuperLuigi

SuperLuigi Black Belt

Well TS, it sounds like you are drawn to Chinese martial arts and martial artists. You should check out Choy Lee Fut. Its a southern style of kung fu that is similar to Muay Thai. It should have a fair deal of Chinese spirituality with the focus on effectiveness of Muay Thai. You could also check out Sanda, Shuai Jiao, and Shou Bo.

13. zapataxiv

zapataxiv Black Belt

Lol at the but the poster in here

Spiritual does not equal religious, and practicing martial arts can be a deeply spiritual experince for many people.

T.S.
    Developing martial ability in any form is developing a skill, by developing a skill you are promoting your time and energy towards growth and acquiring knowledge. With growth and knowledge you become wiser and gain new perspectives to view the world and yourself. You do not need somebody telling you to meditate on praying mantises or martial arts for it to be spiritual, Meditiation on its own would be more beneficial.

T.S. Honestly it sounds like you want to Larp

14. Kiwi Tricker

Kiwi Tricker Green Belt

There are certainly spiritual aspects of Thai culture that are deeply ingrained in the sport of Muay Thai. To some, it's going through motions, paying respect if nothing else; to others it's pretty deeply spiritual. I know that since my best friend and training partner passed away last year my wai khru and wearing the mongkon has meant something different to me than it previously did.

15. GalegoREB

GalegoREB He Who Talks Loud, Saying Nothing

I think most people in this thread should look up the definition of spirituality and religion.

16. NAKMUAY18

NAKMUAY18 Brown Belt

17. Yodsanan

Yodsanan K'FESTA.1

what spiritual part does wing chun have?

18. j123

j123 Pro Sherdogger 500-0-1

End of class meditation?

19. Yodsanan

Yodsanan K'FESTA.1

didn't do any when I did wing chun.

20. Snubnoze707

Snubnoze707 High Level

Muay Thai has a scene in Brooklyn?