What medical staff is clearing some of these fighters?

Across all of combat sports they've never tried too hard to stop guys with brain damage from fighting

Well they cleared Chuck Liddell for a third fight with Tito. They don't give a shit.

Across all of combat sports they've never tried too hard to stop guys with brain damage from fighting
Its probably because brain damage is something you sign up for when you become a fighter. That is literally what happens when you get struck in the fuckin head repeatedly.
Yes its fuckin sad and some people shouldnt be allowed to fight anymore,but lets try to remember the very nature of what these men are doing.

Didnt farewell for affliction.
giphy.gif

Its probably because brain damage is something you sign up for when you become a fighter. That is literally what happens when you get struck in the fuckin head repeatedly.
Yes its fuckin sad and some people shouldnt be allowed to fight anymore,but lets try to remember the very nature of what these men are doing.
<WellThere>

Some people seem to have this idea you can make full contact combat safe. Sorry but that's just not possible.

<WellThere>

Some people seem to have this idea you can make full contact combat safe. Sorry but that's just not possible.
Their heart might be in the right place,but this is the nature of the beast.

Their heart might be in the right place,but this is the nature of the beast.
I used to struggle with that myself, wanting to make the sport safer. But the reality is beating the shit out of people just isn't a safety first activity.

I used to struggle with that myself, wanting to make the sport safer. But the reality is beating the shit out of people just isn't a safety first activity.
Thats why i dont give shit to guys like Khabib and GSP who's style is total dominance and manage to largely not take damage to themselves. In fact I admire and respect it. Especially Khabib,who'se come forward aggressive style puts him IN danger and he still manages to come out relativley unscathed.

The fans demand way too much,but when your punch drunk,they will just laugh at you and say "lol shoulda learned some defense lol"

Ok so just to clarify to the wannabee "tough guys" calling this a pussy thread, this isn't a post about making it "safer" for fighters. Yes when you sign up you are may lose some teeth, break some bones and bleed all over the place. that's the nature of the beast and what makes fights exciting when they are slugging it out sometimes.

However when you have a guy lets say for example Smiley Sam who is basically a human punching bag and take a LOT of punches outside the usual fighter, when does a doctor/manager/advisor or even family look and say "look you keep getting hit anymore you will be in a wheelchair in 5 years."

Elkins made me sad. He shouldn't be fighting dammit.

It all comes down to Dana not paying them enough, so they have to keep fighting because they can't retire yet.
No defending Dana but these fighters at the same time have to face reality.

You can't just pad your wins on the regional level, fight mostly prelims for a couple of contracts and then expect to never have to work again for the 50 remaining years of your life

MMA is a D level sport, if you think fighting profesionally is going to set you for life your heavily mistaken. That's why I hate the term "pro athlete" for MMA. 99% of MMA fighters are semi-professional, not Pro

In regards to Elkins he's a gritty journeyman at best, I wouldn't expect him to be well past the point of retirment financially. NFL which has over 10x the money and talent has people like him all the time that play 2 or 3 years practice squad, maybe suit up for a season or 2 after, and then have to go back into the real workforce. If this shit is standard in NFL then I wouldn't expect Elkins to be big money retirement man

Last edited:
Ok so just to clarify to the wannabee "tough guys" calling this a pussy thread, this isn't a post about making it "safer" for fighters. Yes when you sign up you are may lose some teeth, break some bones and bleed all over the place. that's the nature of the beast and what makes fights exciting when they are slugging it out sometimes.

However when you have a guy lets say for example Smiley Sam who is basically a human punching bag and take a LOT of punches outside the usual fighter, when does a doctor/manager/advisor or even family look and say "look you keep getting hit anymore you will be in a wheelchair in 5 years."
I agree that smiling sam should retire. That guy cant cut it anymore.

Back