What Martial Art is hardest on the body when training?

I'd say Judo and Wreslting.
My ankle is permanently fucked because of it, my back and hip aren't happy either.

Obviously not speaking from personal experience, but I'd say it's easily Sumo.

To be a proper sumo wrestler, you have a join a sumo school where you live the lifestyle 24/7. Every day is a regime of brutal training followed by forced feeding and drinking beer in order to make yourself fatter. They have constant competitions to progress through the ranks, and the dropout rate is immense. Most leave the sport with injuries, obesity, alcohol problems and very little education or prospects for a good future.

It's somewhat ironic that the martial art with the hardest training and lifestyle is way down the list in terms of giving you decent fighting abilities.

Did he not realise the seriousnes of the injury he’d caused?

I mean, if I had caused something like that, I don’t think I would show up for some time (if at all).

Anyway, glad to hear your friend is doing better.
Unless the guy did something completely retarded, you can’t hold it against him. You train combat sports at your own risk.

Lethwei and it's not even close

15356238413865.jpg

I think Wrestling is the most grueling, but in terms of beating up/wearing the body, I'd have to say Judo. It's funny b/c I have Judo buddies that got into it vice Muay Thai/boxing b/c they feel it's safer than striking. I'm not so sure....

Touch Butt. An ancient Celtish martial art practiced by fairies and leprechauns.

5C164E1E-B9EB-4B8D-9F15-8DE7F61C915A.gif

When I decided to hire a personal trainer and start competing in a combat sport at 30.... It was a no brainer to start boxing. I wasn't about to get thrown around and tied up like a pretzel at that age and at 40 I'm grateful for that decision.

Not to say I didn't get hurt boxing... I did, but I'd probably be a fucking cripple by now if I got into grappling, judo, etc.

The main reason I quit boxing at 35ish was because of the repeated blows. I knew that getting punched in the body and face long term wasn't doing me any favors either. Especially on outward appearances... going into an office every day lol. I do miss sparring though, I get the itch to go back to a boxing gym sometimes but then I think better of it.

Judo players walk like goddamn Frankenstein.

Definitely Judo.

Yea I wasn't sure about the answer but I was going to say Judo. Just the simple throws we would do in BJJ would kill me. Can't even imagine a whole class on it day after day.

When I decided to hire a personal trainer and start competing in a combat sport at 30.... It was a no brainer to start boxing. I wasn't about to get thrown around and tied up like a pretzel at that age and at 40 I'm grateful for that decision.

Not to say I didn't get hurt boxing... I did, but I'd probably be a fucking cripple by now if I got into grappling, judo, etc.

The main reason I quit boxing at 35ish was because of the repeated blows. I knew that getting punched in the body and face long term wasn't doing me any favors either. Especially on outward appearances... going into an office every day lol. I do miss sparring though, I get the itch to go back to a boxing gym sometimes but then I think better of it.

How did it work out for you, did you compete?

How did it work out for you, did you compete?
Yes. But I didn't take my amateur "career" all that serious knowing that I wasn't going to turn pro or anything. I just wanted to learn a sport and compete just to challenge myself. I only fought three times with mixed results which I was okay with. It was worth it.

Hiring a personal trainer for a couple years was key though. Learned a lot faster with one on one training.

Yes. But I didn't take my amateur "career" all that serious knowing that I wasn't going to turn pro or anything. I just wanted to learn a sport and compete just to challenge myself. I only fought three times with mixed results which I was okay with. It was worth it.

Im in the same situation more or less.. Didnt fuck with you too badly down the road?

Im in the same situation more or less.. Didnt fuck with you too badly down the road?
No long term affects. I mean, I only sparred twice a week and didn't box for all that long. My three fights were three rounds.

I worry more for some of the people at the boxing gym that started young, spar five days a week and turned pro and continued for many years after that. Especially when they have say 20 amateur fights (which have much stricter rules for safety) and then go on to fight 20 more times in a pro settings where they are taking repeated blows without headgear and more relaxed rules where they are taking more punishment without the fight being stopped.

I'd say it depends on the person, level of training, and those you train with. My High School dropped its wrestling program prior to my Freshman year so I never got to try wrestling. We only had one meathead at the kickboxing gym and the instructor, Mr. Peter Olanich, kept a fairly safe environment so I only ever suffered one mild concussion.

From my own experience I'd say Judo. From the moment you start training you are practicing Ukemi; falling onto your back, doing forward rolls, etc. If you're over 6' and not used to this it's not normal. If you don't learn proper Ukemi form you're bound to smack the back of your head, put your neck in an awkward position when rolling, or get the wind knocked out of you. Then you have Nagewaza; which is throwing or being thrown and is both dependent on your ability to break fall and your opponent's ability to look out for your welfare. At the Budokan Judo Club the emphasis was on Sport Judo more so than as a method of self defense so that may have had an impact on how hard we went and definitely on what techniques we practiced.

Kyokushin
Its a reason the style with the highest dropout rate to other martial arts

That's interesting. My sport was always kick-boxing and I started at like 16. Didn't spar hard very often but obviously sparred up until I started my career at age 27. At that point I decided to transition into grappling mostly to avoid getting hit in the face as I work in financial services. Been doing judo since like 12 years now and I will say this: if you take it easy and focus on understanding falls and recognise danger of injury, I think you can start judo at 30-ish. In time you can go hard but I think an extensive phase of understanding and preparing your body is necessary first.

Of course there are exceptions and I know some people who started at like 30 and became beasts and competed right away, but that is not the norm. Start late and go hard right away in judo? Get injured.

I am going to talk out of my ass here but I think that the ability to learn a new sport is linked to neurological adaptability, if you will. In your late 20's you are still young and can still learn stuff. In my experience it goes to shit around 35-40-ish. Now I am turning 40 and I will consolidate what I already can do as I am not interested in new skills. In my early to mid 20s I learned two languages without too much effort. I tried another one in my mid 30s and I found it very difficult.

Kyokushin
Its a reason the style with the highest dropout rate to other martial arts

Yes kyokushin is extremely painful, like constantly. But no punches to the head and no grappling means that it is not the hardest combat sport on the body.

Did he not realise the seriousnes of the injury he’d caused?

I mean, if I had caused something like that, I don’t think I would show up for some time (if at all).

Anyway, glad to hear your friend is doing better.
No. From what I was told, he knew he injured him. But nobody told him how serious it was. I think they wanted him to show up to train again so they could beat the shit out of him. It worked. The dude who tuned him up was really, really good. A tall, lanky HW, who has really clean, hard throws. He could toss anyone.

Also, when this happened, my friend, who was previously a HW, had just lost like 40 lbs. he said it forced him to change his whole game and he was just getting used to that.

I did a little judo as a kid. It was a fucking meat grinder. They barely taught me one throw and tossed me in there with 18 year olds who were way more experienced, and way larger. I was tiny. I fucking hated that. So I quit.

That's interesting. My sport was always kick-boxing and I started at like 16. Didn't spar hard very often but obviously sparred up until I started my career at age 27. At that point I decided to transition into grappling mostly to avoid getting hit in the face as I work in financial services. Been doing judo since like 12 years now and I will say this: if you take it easy and focus on understanding falls and recognise danger of injury, I think you can start judo at 30-ish. In time you can go hard but I think an extensive phase of understanding and preparing your body is necessary first.

Of course there are exceptions and I know some people who started at like 30 and became beasts and competed right away, but that is not the norm. Start late and go hard right away in judo? Get injured.

I am going to talk out of my ass here but I think that the ability to learn a new sport is linked to neurological adaptability, if you will. In your late 20's you are still young and can still learn stuff. In my experience it goes to shit around 35-40-ish. Now I am turning 40 and I will consolidate what I already can do as I am not interested in new skills. In my early to mid 20s I learned two languages without too much effort. I tried another one in my mid 30s and I found it very difficult.
Of course part of my reasoning behind getting into boxing, outside of the injury aspect of it, was because I just liked boxing more. I know a lot of grapplers now... in fact two of my coworkers train BJJ at the same gym. One of them is 49 and while he complains about being old and injuries... he still loves it.

I was able to learn fairly quickly at 30... but having a good trainer makes a world of difference. I feel like if I started boxing just by going to some group classes or just showing up at a gym and winging it, I would have been learning much slower and had been killing valuable time. Having money at 30 afforded me the ability to work with a trainer even though it was the more expensive route. The best part is, he was training other people so while I may have had to pay $30 for an hour during my sessions.. he let me in on his other clients sessions to spar with them so that was almost like getting more individualized training for free every week. Then I coupled that with free training the rest of the week at the gym on the bags, weight room, with others, etc.

I still love boxing and eventually I'd like to start training people again cause it keeps me fresh and gives me an excuse to do some light sparring. I just don't want to come to work with black eyes and injuries that make my job worse lol.

Back