What makes you think Gaethje is a worst stylistic matchup than Cowboy for Conor?

I get the feeling Dana White doesn't want Conor to lose to Gaethje with this fight, so it probably won't happen

Why would McGregor lose to a no-mark journeyman like this? He outclassed the guys that smashed Gaethje. Like, really outclassed

First of all I want to say that I respect the fuck out of Cowboy. He's cut from a different cloth with how much he fights.

That said, the primary reason why Gaethje is several levels above the stylistic challenge meter for Conor than Cowboy, is because of his durability.

Cowboy has the tendency to fold. I know that's a common narrative, but it's true especially when your comparing him to Cowboy.

I'll put it to you this way, go ask RDA, Diaz, Masvidal, or pretty much any of Cowboy's conquerors if they would like to fight him again. I guarantee there won't be much hesitation.

Then go ask Alvarez or Dustin if they would like to fight Gaethje again. They would probably still do it, but they wouldn't be salivating at the fucking chance to do it. You have to go through hell and high water to beat Gaethje, not so much Cowboy.

Gaethje is tailor made for Conor to get another early finish. Justin gets hit far too often
He can wrestle McGregor, he can kick the shit out of his legs, out cardio him and knock him out in any round.

McGregor has never recorded a stoppage past two.

With Conor the clock is always ticking. Once he gets tired and sloppy after 2 rounds anyone can beat him, especially a murderer like Gaethje.

He can wrestle McGregor, he can kick the shit out of his legs, out cardio him and knock him out in any round.

With Conor the clock is always ticking. Once he gets tired and sloppy after 2 rounds anyone can beat him, especially a murderer like Gaethje.
Gaethje wouldnt get out of the first round... he's too sloppy, never uses his wrestling and legkicks can be checked... he seems incapable of doing anything to defend himself other than shelling up. That shit wont work against Conor.

Easy work

Why would McGregor lose to a no-mark journeyman like this? He outclassed the guys that smashed Gaethje. Like, really outclassed
OK you asked a question, so here's my thoughts......

No.1 Gaethje not a journeyman. He was champ in his previous organisation WSOF. Not a journeyman. 21fights, only 2 losses, and 17 of his 19 victories are KOs. That's 89% by KO !
No.2 Gaethje has only lost (ever) to 2 people Alvarez and Poirier. McG vs Poirier was almost 5.5years ago, and in a different weight class, yes he clipped Poirier top of his head but it wasn't an "outclassing". Poirier would smash McG at 155lbs. I think Dana knows that.
Alvarez fight is the only one that was a bit of a surprise, and credit to McG on that.
No.3 Gaethje has a hell of a chin, he got slugged v hard by Michael Johnson and others and he just came back and won. He doesn't crumple up in a ball at the 1st sign of trouble as Cerrone does EVERY TIME. Gaethje is faster, more happy to be in a firefight, hits harder, bigger variety of shots, massive accurate repeated leg-kicks that destroy fighters, he has great wrestling if he needs that, he cannot be outpsyched or intimidated and he will not take any amount of money to fall on his sword. He already has money. *Not saying* Cerrone did that, but just making that point.
No.4 McGregor has no cardio worth mentioning. Gaethje does. Especially bulked-up McG will have even less cardio than before. 2round fighter, that's it.

Dana knows Gaethje is super dangerous, and very simply, he won't make that fight as he wants his Irish gravy-train to keep on rolling, and from a business viewpoint, I do understand that policy. Even if it's not fair to Gaethje.

My guess is Dana will offer Gaethje the LOSER of Khabib vs Ferguson OR maybe something like the winner of Felder/Hooker.

Justin is a hard fighter to break, he doesn't give up easily. He won't be able to outwrestle Conor that easily Conor but if he can manage to survive the initial onslaught he could drag out a dog fight. Cowboy has a tendancy to wilt under pressure and Conor tends to start strong, he was not prepared for Conor and everything leading up to the bout told us that, Justin will not show that same attitude toward Conor and have much more confidence in his abilities.

Because gaethje is a way better fighter than cowboy, and he’s in his prime.

not saying Justin will win, but he’s obviously a tougher fight. Bro come on.

I
Gaethje is a way better fighter than cowboy

Fearsome actually. Even in defeat it takes a war and reaching into depth of your soul to stop him.

way more power
way better chin
relentless pressure
younger
crippling leg kicks
d1 wresting
Doesn't fold under pressure
better record

Way better cardio than Conor
very durable

Justin ain't gonna fold for a paycheck, he's coming to taking McGregors head, plus he fights smarter now and more patient.

If Conor doesn't stop him early he'll be face down ass up career over
HappyEsteemedCuttlefish-size_restricted.gif

AngrySmallElephantbeetle-size_restricted.gif

DecisiveMealyGerbil-size_restricted.gif

PersonalImmediateComet-max-1mb.gif

Gaethje doesn't wilt under pressure, he IS pressure. Of course it's entirely possible Conor just lights him up early like Michael Johnson did but actually seals the deal.

I don't see it either. Top blanket is his kryptonite.

Gaethje has a severe case of Hendonitis tho - he is a decorated wrestler that forgot how to wrestle as he only worked on dem hands. It comes down to do people think a wrestler that just learned how to box will be able to out box a lifelong boxer? Maybe, but it could also be Andy vs Hendo do all over again.

Also RE "McGregor has never recorded a stoppage past two". That is because he has only past past 2 rounds in three career fights and finishes everyone early. He is 100% in decisions too.

Gaethje doesn't wilt under pressure, he IS pressure. Of course it's entirely possible Conor just lights him up early like Michael Johnson did but actually seals the deal.
Pressure vs McGregor gets you slept early on. There is a reason Khabib, Nate and even May were on their back foot early. Aldo and Eddie are great examples in the perils of pressuring Conor.

He’s 31 with a lot less fights and losses. Not to mention, he is coming off two straight wins. He seems to be peaking now. He is a much more dangerous fight than Cerrone.

That said, I think Conor has a very good chance at winning. It’s like jones not doing hw. I think jones would win most fights at that class, but him not attempting to, is off putting. If Conor is this good, he should take riskier fights.

Pressure vs McGregor gets you slept early on. There is a reason Khabib, Nate and even May were on their back foot early. Aldo and Eddie are great examples in the perils of pressuring Conor.
That's my point. People seem to have this belief that Gaethje would steamroll him when it's quite the challenging fight for both guys. Gaethje has become more patient in his approach though, not nearly as careless as he used to be.

OK you asked a question, so here's my thoughts......

No.1 Gaethje not a journeyman. He was champ in his previous organisation WSOF. Not a journeyman. 21fights, only 2 losses, and 17 of his 19 victories are KOs. That's 89% by KO !
No.2 Gaethje has only lost (ever) to 2 people Alvarez and Poirier. McG vs Poirier was almost 5.5years ago, and in a different weight class, yes he clipped Poirier top of his head but it wasn't an "outclassing". Poirier would smash McG at 155lbs. I think Dana knows that.
Alvarez fight is the only one that was a bit of a surprise, and credit to McG on that.
No.3 Gaethje has a hell of a chin, he got slugged v hard by Michael Johnson and others and he just came back and won. He doesn't crumple up in a ball at the 1st sign of trouble as Cerrone does EVERY TIME. Gaethje is faster, more happy to be in a firefight, hits harder, bigger variety of shots, massive accurate repeated leg-kicks that destroy fighters, he has great wrestling if he needs that, he cannot be outpsyched or intimidated and he will not take any amount of money to fall on his sword. He already has money. *Not saying* Cerrone did that, but just making that point.
No.4 McGregor has no cardio worth mentioning. Gaethje does. Especially bulked-up McG will have even less cardio than before. 2round fighter, that's it.

Dana knows Gaethje is super dangerous, and very simply, he won't make that fight as he wants his Irish gravy-train to keep on rolling, and from a business viewpoint, I do understand that policy. Even if it's not fair to Gaethje.

My guess is Dana will offer Gaethje the LOSER of Khabib vs Ferguson OR maybe something like the winner of Felder/Hooker.

Dude, we hear this shit all the time. I'm a fight fan first & foremost but the excuses for his wins are beyond pathetic. Every time McGregor has "never fought anyone like this". Then when he wins, it's excuses. "Poirier was young, Aldo was stupid, Cerrone was coming off a loss". It's hilarious. Watch the prediction videos of his fights, it's cringeworthy stuff.
Poirier would smash him at 155? Based on what? Hope? Mcgregors power transfers up the weight. He damn near gave Diaz brain damage, even in defeat.

It's fucking absurd that supposed MMA fans pretend he isn't a top fighter or is ducking anybody. The guy won the 145lbs title & then immediately challenged RDA!!!

gaethje is :

- younger, hungry as fuck, not just " happy to be here "
- Very good chin
- D1 Wrestler, so if he want to, he will take down conor
- low kick game, interesting to see how conor will deal with that
- Very good fighter in th pocket, much better than conor ...
- better cardio

However gaethje also is :

- Slow and predictable on the feet
- Doesn't protect his body
- Doesnt really use his wrestling
- his grappling is legit bad for the division standards ...
- is not at all at the same lvl of striking as conor, at least at boxing and kicking range
- like to brawl too much, which is not good against elite strikers in general.

Conclusion : much tougher fight than the cowboy fight for conor, but still very winnable. 60/40 in favor of conor in my opinion.
on paper, Gaethje is a problem for everyone. In practice, the guy has demonstrated rather poor fight IQ. I think he could have won both Dustin and Eddie fights had he exercised some discipline other than god of justbleed.

Back