What makes you root for a fighter?

Competence is the only thing that matters. It's not just an Ayn Rand soundbite, it's a principle applicable to all areas of life. When all the hype is said and done, the only thing that matters is who is the better fighter.

Shit...are you me!?

That's two for jersey on these points.

Wait, you're in Jersey too?

Gotta remember to start taking my Dissociative Identity Disorder meds.

the way they fight, that's the only thing i care about.

Yes, and it is retarded. "I am proud I was born in X country and not Y country!"

How retarded. You have no control over that. <3

Yes, I had no control over that and I wouldn't change a thing now even if I had, and not everyone is like you who thinks it's retarded.

So we shouldn't be proud of our history and heritage? That's a very nice way to destroy cultural identity which these days is disguised as being "hip and cool".

In short, you're a hipster slimeball.

In a "melting pot" country like America of all places who's to say you share ANY history or heritage with another American?

Wait, you're in Jersey too?

Gotta remember to start taking my Dissociative Identity Disorder meds.

Jersey City; I gotta remember my meds too...or we have to remember them...if we take our meds and one of stops posting, we're that much closer to answer.

In a "melting pot" country like America of all places who's to say you share ANY history or heritage with another American?

If you go back far enough, we're all related.

GO PRIMORDIAL OOZE! WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

I think that style has everything to do with it..Guys like Fitch, who rarely do any damage and wrestle-fuck are boring...that being said, I will never turn away from a Sonnan fight ust because I honestly can't wait to see what he says next.Always been a BJ fan, loved watching Liddel in his prime..anyone who's a knockout artist.

Bottom line is that style is everything. Brown....he's a brawler, and I love it...Jones is just so good that you have to watch..Cerrone, Pettis, Aldo, Faber, you get the point. All of these guys are winners and demand that that you watch their fights. They are the reason the UFC is so great...

Here's my thing with Jon Fitch: Even though he goes for the decision instead of the finish, his fight with GSP made me a fan. He showed more character in that defeat than most fighters do in their entire career. His fight with Erick Silva reminded me of that. I wish more fighters had heart like Fitch.

Except your country isn't in the cage, so it's really more tribalism

There is a large difference between tribalism and nationalism, especially modern nationalism.

Tribalism is about family. Your cousin is always right if he is in a conflict with a guy you are not related to. You hire your uncle, even if he sucks at the job and there are ten better candidates. Tribal societies are almost always unsuccessful, especially when competing with non-tribal societies.

Nationalism may look the same at first, but it is a much bigger category. Most of the people in my nation are ethnically related to me, but it is culture, language, and shared history that tend to bind national groups. A person who roots for someone of their own nationality is already a very broad-minded person. They have already gone outside the scope of family and probably class. Countries based on nationalism have been hugely successful, while those that are not, have not done nearly so well.

Internationalists tend to be elitists and anti-democratic. So while they come across as high-minded, in practice internationalism almost always is idealistic at best and more likely a justification for chauvinism.

Not being Jon Jones is the biggest factor in whether or not I root for a fighter.

Like supporting stand-up fighters who are far from lost when the fight hits the ground..A granite chin and when they win, they act like its just another day in the office and not jump up and down like they just hit the lottery......................................
Gegard Mousasi

Style, typically. I can root for people with likable personalities, as well.

Anyone that supports a fighter based on race or nationality is an asshole.

That's some of the dumbest shit I've read on here. Are people who root for their hometown teams in other sports assholes too?

The Olympics must disgust you.

GFTO.

There is a large difference between tribalism and nationalism, especially modern nationalism.

Tribalism is about family. Your cousin is always right if he is in a conflict with a guy you are not related to. You hire your uncle, even if he sucks at the job and there are ten better candidates. Tribal societies are almost always unsuccessful, especially when competing with non-tribal societies.

Nationalism may look the same at first, but it is a much bigger category. Most of the people in my nation are ethnically related to me, but it is culture, language, and shared history that tend to bind national groups. A person who roots for someone of their own nationality is already a very broad-minded person. They have already gone outside the scope of family and probably class. Countries based on nationalism have been hugely successful, while those that are not, have not done nearly so well.

Internationalists tend to be elitists and anti-democratic. So while they come across as high-minded, in practice internationalism almost always is idealistic at best and more likely a justification for chauvinism.

Not always, tribalism is the mentality behind gangs/hooligans/frats/etc and can cross the same lines as nationalism.

That seems contrary. So it's broad-minded to support someone with a shared language/culture/history? More broad-minded than only supporting family sure, but hardly more broad-minded than supporting someone with a different language/culture/history because you can appreciate them as an individual

That's some of the dumbest shit I've read on here. Are people who root for their hometown teams in other sports assholes too?

The Olympics must disgust you.

GFTO.

He is a troll, took a while to detect but he is. Don't waste your time.

Nationalism is a plague to humanity. Anyone rooting for someone based on Nationality is definitely an asshole. We're all the same who gives a fuck where you're from.

Fighting style. I don't care what they do out of the cage.

Underdog status. Although there are exceptions.

yeah i tend to go this way. i'm not always a fan of a certain fighter so much as i root for one over another based upon the upset. and i become a fan when i see someone show a lot of heart. i'm not quite a fan of rory, but when i see him going crazy trying to get the win in late rd. 3 when he might be down on the cards (or it's just a close fight) i really start to respect a guy.

I don't support shit talkers

I like rooting for the underdog.

Back