What makes you root for a fighter?

Jamoke

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
When two fighters that you don't know are fighting, what makes you root for one of them?
Is it:
Style?
Race?
Nationality?
How he looks?
Age?

Gotta say nationality. I always root for murricans.

Underdog status. Although there are exceptions.

mainly its how they behave out of the cage, style, attitude, and if they have a certain "uniqueness"

Style, typically. I can root for people with likable personalities, as well.

Anyone that supports a fighter based on race or nationality is an asshole.

The name has to finish by "ov".

I also forgot, I never root for guys who cut a lot of weight. When I see a LW who looks like a MW I immediately hate him and wish him only the worst.

I also don't like white folk much.

It can be nationality but for me it was mostly personality in and outside of the cage and way of fighting.

The whiter he is, the more I root for him.

Just kidding........I like to root for the guy that I feel is more skilled. I like seeing skill prevail in the sport. Guys like Leben that pretty much just throw bombs are very exciting, but Martial Arts teaches that skill, heart, and technique usually beats raw aggression mixed with entertainment. As far as personalities, I always try to root for the humble guy that doesn't sit there and talk about himself.

Style. I want exciting guys to win so that I get to keep seeing them ply their styles against other top guys at the highest level.

Unless they're a flat-out criminal, what they do outside the cage is just noise. Trash talker? Don't care. Asshole? Don't care. Mean to other guys at the gym? Don't care.

When two fighters that you don't know are fighting, what makes you root for one of them?
Is it:
Style?
Race?
Nationality?
How he looks?
Age?

Looks and build. Rockhold, GSP and Weidman top my list.

Style, typically. I can root for people with likable personalities, as well.

Anyone that supports a fighter based on race or nationality is an asshole.

This.^^^^ And skillz. I would also say that, being a martial artist myself, I appreciate a true martial artist in the philosophical of terms. I cannot stand an arrogant person thats just arrogant because he/she has the ignorance to portray themselves in a certain light. Unless its Chael of course..... LMAO

They catch my interest depending on how exciting they are in the cage/ring then keep me hooked depending on personalities.

Tries to finish, respectful and honourable. Technique.

I go with whomever has top JJ skills. To a much lesser extent, I'll go with USA fighters.
If the JJ fighter is ineffective and pulling guard, begging for a ground war but getting dominated on the feet, I'll stop caring and root for the standup fighter.

Love grappling, hate ground-begging.

Since I pay my hard earned money to watch fights, it's fighting style for me. I want to see fighters who try to finish fights. Of course some of the best fights have gone to decisions, but the reason they were great is because both guys were intent on getting the most dominant and indisputable win possible, and that is a finish.

I don't care much about personality. I hate Jon Jones' personality but I'll never miss one of his fights! Now if he'd just keep that fist balled on the PPV's I buy...

Technique obviously, I don't want to watch sloppy, amateur looking fights on a card I spend money on.

Nationality or any of that other stuff doesn't do shit for me. If a fighter is fun to watch, they're fun to watch.

Back