What Makes Sense for Cerrone Next?

Discussion in 'UFC Discussion' started by ufcfan4, Jan 4, 2015.

1. ufcfan4

ufcfan4 Can't Andle The Riddum

I love the attitude and the mentality that he will fight anyone and that he wants to fight as quick as he can. That said, I have no idea what makes sense for him given his high standing in the division. If he hadn't lost to Pettis and RDA, there would be no way to deny him a title shot based on his current run alone. And even with those two relatively recent losses, he's on the streak of his career beating Dunham, Martins, Barboza, Miller, Alvarez, and Jury all in a row. There's not a single slouch among those guys as even the lower two- Dunham and Martins- are damn good, tough fighters who Cerrone put away.

Barboza, Miller, Alvarez, and Jury are all upper-middle or top guys. So he has a hell of a list right now.

But we know he's not getting the title shot because RDA and Khabib are ahead of him. They could book Cerrone vs. Nurmag as an awesome title eliminator but Cerrone doesn't seem to want to wait for him to come back from injury in April or May and wants to fight as soon as possible.

That said, would it really make sense for him to fight someone who is in a solid place in the division but lower than the last four he has faced like, say, Tony Ferguson?

So what do you think makes sense for Cowboy next?

Who would you like to see him fight next?

Frankly, I'd definitely support a Cerrone vs. Nurmagomedov fight though I do feel that's about Cerrone's worst matchup in the division outside of Pettis.

I feelthat Bendo vs. Cerrone III wouldn't be objectionable either if Ben can beat Alvarez...though it's kind of an odd matchup given Ben coming off those two losses in his last four fights and Cerrone on a 6-0 run.

2. Cold Front

Cold Front Double Yellow Card Double Yellow Card

Anybody but Pettis.

I honestly think Cowboy would rather fight Jury again than fight Pettis.

3. FREEZIE

FREEZIE Blue Belt

Melendez would be a great fight. I know it's someone coming off a win against someone off a loss but it's a guaranteed exciting fight.

4. estranged

estranged Brown Belt

love to see that

5. Kirin

Kirin Death Operator Platinum Member

Hmm...intriguing. Also wouldn't mind seeing him take on henderson, if benson manages to get past alvarez. Ideally, it'd be khabib, but the eagle may not be ready in time :(

6. Victor

Victor Green Belt

Khabib or Melendez

7. thetan

thetan Green Belt

The only logical fight is Khabib vs Cerrone in a title eliminator.

8. kurtwpg

kurtwpg Silver Belt

Khabib, obviously. Dos Anjos has his shot, this fight should decide the next one.

9. roventu

roventu Brown Belt

Melendez sounds like a great fight.

10. Cantalope

Cantalope Black Belt

Whoever gets him paid the quickest so he can buy shit.

11. ufcfan4

I've been wanting that Melendez fight from the moment it was announced Gil was coming over post-Strikeforce. So yeah I'm 100 percent for it. I just discounted it I guess because I figured the UFC would want to give Gil an opportunity for a rebound fight coming off the loss to Pettis.

12. spid3yo

spid3yo Guest

If Conor gets to fight Siver for a title shot

Then Cowboy should get to rematch Nate Diaz for his

13. TankAbbott4Eva

TankAbbott4Eva Silver Belt

Whoever is willing to fight him in a few weeks.

14. gspfedkobe24

gspfedkobe24 Black Belt

Cowboy doesn't care give him a fight any fight anybody....

15. JonSnitchPhones

JonSnitchPhones Beastin' 26/9

Josh Thomson. It's a win-win scenario for UFC.

If Cerrone wins he has beaten a proven contender and in a way erased the Diaz loss. He beat the guy who wrecked the guy. He needs to demonstrate he's a better fighter than he used to be and is capable of beating proven elites actually.

If Thomson wins he reestablishes himself in the division as a guy who could viably challenge for the title again soon, which was erased artificially by the incorrect decision against Bobby Green, and possibly the injury against Bendo (I agreed w/ that decision, thought Bendo comfortably won, but no way of truly knowing what would have happened if Thomson didn't get hurt a couple rounds in).

People keep talking about Khabib. The same issue applies as it did against Pettis. He had acl surgery a little over 5 months ago. He's simply not ready to schedule a bout right now. And anyways, you wouldn't want to potentially kill off a grudge match and variety for Pettis. Cerrone matches up fairly well with Khabib I feel (why are wrestlers bad match-ups for strikers, especially ones with good games off their back, but seldom vice versa?). UFC said they're going to save a title shot for Khabib, when he is actually ready, and I hope they are true to their word.

16. ufcfan4

lol. He said he wants on that Colorado card on Feb. 14. Dare I say Matt Brown has found his replacement opponent...

Brown vs. Cerrone 160 catchweight. Cerrone DGAF.

17. Fumbles

Fumbles Yellow Belt

Even though Diaz is ranked way lower than him, I really want him to avenge that loss.

18. kurtwpg

kurtwpg Silver Belt

[​IMG]

19. Kenro199x

Kenro199x Brown Belt

I'd rather see Gil versus Alverez. Too much past beef to not see it happen now that both are in the UFC.

20. Wefee

Wefee Blue Belt

Wow... I didn't think of this. It makes perfect sense.