1. We are currently experiencing technical difficulties. For those experiencing login issues, a temporary solution is to clear your cache and cookies on your web browser. We sincerely apologize for the inconvenience.
  2. The official Sherdog Store is back! Check it out! » Discuss it here! »

What makes people think Kayla Harrison could beat Amanda Nunes?

Discussion in 'UFC Discussion' started by Peli, Nov 9, 2020.

1. Peli Silver Belt

[​IMG]
    Honestly, I don't know much about Kayla Harrison. I know she's a jacked white girl, fucking massive and that she's a judo 2 time gold medalist. So before so, I was thinking this chick is going to be judo flipping girls like ronda rousey inside the cage and even better at doing so in mma because she was a gold medalist while ronda was a broze

From what little, I've seen she doesn't. In fact, she kinda fights like usman. Her grappling seems very boring. Where she doesn't look like usman is that she at least transistions and looks for submissions. Her striking is almost nonexistent. Her GnP is good, but its not anything spectacular.

She started mma 4 years ago. She's 30 years old now( !!)I'd like to see someone challenge nunes but can she do it? This girl has a lot of hype behind her name. I'd like to hear some convincing arguments why she can beat nunes or why she's the next best thing?

tl;dr - Is kayla harrison's hype justified? Is she really good or just hype?

Last edited: Nov 9, 2020
  2. TerrorTimmy Three piece and a soda

I really can't favor anybody at 135 or 145 (women's divisions) over Amanda Nunes. Doesn't mean she can't lose, but I'm going to have to see it to believe it.

Virtually Identical likes this.
  3. TempleoftheDog Red Belt

I've never really seen anybody suggest that any woman could beat Nunes right now. Maybe a few Cyborg fans and that guy that said Megan could beat her. But I assume they're just trolling.

4. Blayt7hh Steel Belt

I don’t see her being hyped all that much

no she isn’t going to beat Amanda

ACDCSchaub likes this.
  5. Substance Abuse n00b moderator Staff Member Forum Moderator

Anyone with a good takedowns and a strong, suffocating top game who can keep someone down has a great chance at winning a fight nowadays.

That said, Nunes probably isn't the person someone is going to take down and keep there. You mix in her grappling ability with her standup that makes getting close pretty daunting and you've got a recipe for disaster for Harrison if she can't get her to the ground and keep her there.

All that said, nice to see Kayla push herself and try to get that title shot. A couple wins, maybe even a single dominant one might do it. Crazier losses have happened in MMA, though no one in their right mind is picking her.

pseto223 and countswagula like this.
  6. Peli Silver Belt

I see that a few about kayla here and just on the internet.she has a buzz around her name. Many want her in the ufc, but cite her weight being an issue. She's a LW and many don't think she can make the weight. She makes her featherweight debut on invicta pretty soon, in two weeks.

7. TempleoftheDog Red Belt

Cyborg, Megan, and Spencer were all Invicta FW champs. Megan hasn't caught the beatdown yet, but will in the new year. I saw this girl in PFL. I don't think she has anything for Amanda. This sounds like typical, The next contender will finally be the one to beat the champ stuff. I'm not buying it.

Peli and Substance Abuse like this.
  8. thewhiterooster dana hates sunscreen

what people think this? I think it's the minority

accolyte1022 likes this.
  9. DestinedAussie Brown Belt

Well she is one of best female fighters no in UFC. Would be great to see her come to UFC!

10. stereolab White Belt

She's a judo legend with two olympic gold medals. Plus who else could threaten Nunes besides shevchenko? Megan Anderson??????

yookfarb likes this.
  11. Peli Silver Belt

maybe but I see it a lot. Maybe a vocal minority. She has a lot of buzz for a fighter outside of the ufc. they did an interview with her on tmz, media is asking dana white about her. I think fans see judo and immediately think next ronda. she gets ronda comparisons all the time, not because of her mma career but because she's a Olympian judoka.

The fact they faced each other in a judo match in 2005 doesn't help to stop the comparisons either

yookfarb likes this.
  12. BROWNPRIDE Yellow Card

13. Peli Silver Belt

That's what I see too. I don't see anything she does well inside the cage. There are a lot of good thing she does, but I don't see anything elite or anything that makes you go "aha!, I think she can be the one to beat nunes" But I see comments like that all the time.

14. Ghostoftheville Brown Belt

She's moving down to fight at 145 in her next bout. She hasn't faced anybody that is considered close to high caliber even by WMMA standards. No, right now I can't see her beating Nunes right now.

15. 13Seconds Gold Belt

People think a woman can beat Amanda?

Show yourselves fools!

16. 13Seconds Gold Belt

Nowdays? The time frame you're suggesting is more like 2009ish. Fighters are way better with grappling defense today. Sara Mcmann is that wrestler you described and Nunes murked her.

Askafan likes this.
  17. chiefwiggum Double Yellow Card Double Yellow Card

Well most of nunes opponents
    Really suck at about every area of fighting. . At least Kayla Is an ace in one aspect.

Bubba Kid and Rachel Da Bear like this.
  18. The Hash Slinging Slasher Brown Belt

Not too crazy to think Amanda can be beat, I mean she’s lost 4 times in her career. I understand that’s she’s turned a corner and is a much better fighter than she used to be, but there’s no reason to believe another girl couldn’t come out and have the fight of her life, like holly did against ronda.

yookfarb, svmr_db and Bubba Kid like this.
  19. suizuri cunning linguist

can't watch a vid right now. who won between her and ronda? and at what weight did they have their match?

20. The Hash Slinging Slasher Brown Belt

Bro, she’s not exactly fighting soccer moms. I mean, there have been a couple, but girls like schevchenko, Tate, GDR, Cyborg, McMann, etc. all have an area they are pretty good at.

Lee_ and yookfarb like this.