1. We now have a new forum called Fantasy Matchup Discussion. Access it here

What makes one persons guillotine better than anothers?

Discussion in 'Grappling Technique' started by Quoth, Aug 24, 2010.

1. Quoth

Quoth Something Catchy..

this is a random thought that occured to me, watching ufc fights rogan will once in awhile say "he has an amazing guillotine"

my question, once sunk in the proper position, how can one persons be better than another? or is he just referring to the upper body strength to squeeze tighter?

2. aunshi189

aunshi189 Purple Belt Platinum Member

Practice makes perfect. There's more to it than just squeezing, you need proper arm positioning around the neck and the ability to get to the position in the first place.

I know this because I can never finish guillotines.

3. Sloth

Sloth Brown Belt

Imo it's having the ability and skilled set ups to capture the neck quickly, without telegraphing, the squeeze to maintain the hold until both hands are locked in place, the hip movement and sensitivity to keep your body at a good angle to finish and the technical knowledge of how to deal with your opponents counters.

4. Tungtvann

Tungtvann Blue Belt

The amount of times I've heard say Rogan say 'he's got a great guillotine' in the last few months is pretty ridiculous. Anyone who has attempted on gets that comment. Oh, and no-one finished via it also.

5. redaxe

redaxe Silver Belt

It's partly the setup and partly the finish. The finish is not necessarily about strength and squeezing hard, it's more about proper positioning and finishing technique. The guillotine is deceptively simple, but lots of guys attempt it and don't get it. When a guy has a good guillotine it means he has good setup and finishing technique so the choke has high-percentage effectiveness for him.