What makes Dominick Cruz’s style so effective?

He moves like Machida, minus the karate background.

Seemingly pushing the pace and being in someone's face whilst actually constantly being on the defensive. It's a confusing style.

I’ve been marathoning a bunch of his fights because other than his fight with Cody, I haven’t seen any of his other fights and his style is so unorthodox it’s mind blowing. Hard to hit yet can always piece his opponents up and the weird thing is that his style shouldn’t be as effective as it is. Can anyone explain why this motherfucker is so damn good.
He's good because all the R&R he takes (injuries).

He's just so well rested and alert during his fights. That's what happens when you fight once every 2 years

Cruz suffered from plantar fasciitis leading up to the Garbrant fight and you could easily see it affected his footwork and movement, so obviously its absurd to draw any conclusions from that fight. Love to see those two go at it again.

Hes got fast feet and judges distance great with them. He understands striking and being in the center line then moving your head off of it. Angles.

He mixes that knee-tap takedown in with his strikes as good as anyone does (GSP).

iirc he picked up a lot of the footwork and drills he does training at Mayweathers gym back in the day.

Distance deception, directional feints, and quick feet and hands as well as having a solid wrestling background to fall back on.

Most of the guys he has fought mostly spend to much time planting their feet to throw when they should have been moving them and sacrificing some heat and/or they have a significant size and athleticism disadvantage.

...for the same reason that white men cant dance

Because he keeps his opponents guessing about what he's going to do. It's not that hard.

He's not there to beat you down. He's there to confuse the shit out of you and piece you up little by little. If that's lost to his opponent, he's in for a long night.

That's why TJ was so ineffective against him, because he was just emotionally headhunting the whole fight. Cody on the other hand, didn't play into Dom's dance at all. Whenever Dom was near the cage, Cody was like get back in the center motherfucker so I can line this right hand up.

More like Dom was emotional and played into Cody's game.

Isn't it because of the randomness of his movements. He is so unlike anyone and mixes it up so much that no one can guess what he will do (besides cody). So mysterious...

He fights kinda similar to Sam Soliman, an Aussie boxer, great workrate, weird angles, at you the whole time and confusing as hell. Soliman was probably not world elite but did really well against Winky Wright back in the day when Wright would have been close to best in the world.

He looks like he is playing dance dance revolution with someone shaking a wasp nest over his head.
I don’t want anyone to think that I do not acknowledge his talent. His wins speak for themselves. He has talent and implements an effective gameplan. I just think the gameplan is pretty much what a picked on nerd would look like when he is tired of getting picked on and hits their breaking point.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ljae89
Back