What level of taxation is too high?

they raised our gas taxes, again, last year presumably to 'help improve roads'

uh where? not the 10 or 15 or 8, ill tell you that much. Hwy 62 which I live off is atrocious as well.

Cigarettes and dip got $2 added (yes, an ADDITIONAL $2 tax) to pay for the overweight smokers on MediCal, so that helps nobody who actually contributes

Blue states are full of high taxes, high debt, and little reward. Democrats want the country to be run like California, Illinois, and New Jersey

Blue states are full of high taxes, high debt, and little reward. Democrats want the country to be run like California, Illinois, and New Jersey
Little reward? They're great places to live and conduct business.

Little reward? They're great places to live and conduct business.

Too expensive to live and businesses run to low tax states. I live in San Diego and it's less than 5 years away from turning into San Fran

Too expensive to live and businesses run to low tax states. I live in San Diego and it's less than 5 years away from turning into San Fran
NYC, Chicago, Boston, etc. are amazing places to do businesses. And businesses do set up shop there. This is a big reason why these places are expensive to begin with.

I actually agree with this, not sure what the 400K comment means though.

But the rest of it is my thoughts exactly. Studies show that happiness increases with income up to about 70 grand. So we shouldn't put road blocks in front of people who are trying to achieve that level of wealth.

If you're making more than 2 fitty a year you're banking more than enough to accumulate wealth.

Up 400K Joint filing, married couples/domestic partnerships

250K for individuals

The Tri-state area is the center of the universe for a reason.

Deal with it.

NYC, Chicago, Boston, etc. are amazing places to do businesses. And businesses do set up shop there. This is a big reason why these places are expensive to begin with.

There are amazing places for established businesses, small business owners are not looking for these cities as the startup would bury them. And if you are planning on buying a house (not an apartment or miniature condo), you can get a bigger one and save money in red states vs NYC or LA where it's impossible.

There are amazing places for established businesses, small business owners are not looking for these cities as the startup would bury them. And if you are planning on buying a house (not an apartment or miniature condo), you can get a bigger one and save money in red states vs NYC or LA where it's impossible.
That's flat out wrong. You obviously haven't thought through this at all, but one enormous advantage to doing business in a city is access to talent. Let that soak in and we can move on to other reasons.

That's flat out wrong.

How?

What's the average cost of a home in Los Angeles vs Pheonix?

Where would you rather start a business in New York or a state with NO state tax?

What's the cost of living in Chicago vs Dallas?

Tell me where i'm wrong

Whatever rate maximizes economic output and government revenue in the long term.

It can't be too high because economic output will suffer and people will leave. I know tons of young professionals in Canada who went into medicine, engineering, law, etc., who are planning to leave Canada for America simply due to the fact that they will get paid more and taxed less in America. They get their childhood, medical costs and education subsidized by the Canadian government, then they are going to leave before they have to pay any of it back. Canada's rates are not competitive enough with America's and it's costing them big time. Luckily Canada has an influx of foreign immigrants willing to invest millions in the country, but that can only last so long and is really starting to hurt Canada.

It also can't be too low, because you then couldn't fund the necessary aspects of government that can only be effectively and efficiently done by government (military, police, firefighters, space programs, etc.).

It's not an easy answer and I doubt anyone really knows what rate will be best as there are simply too many variables to take into account. But we can look historically, and we can see that established economies generally tend to do better with less tax than more.

How?

What's the average cost of a home in Los Angeles vs Pheonix?

Where would you rather start a business in New York or a state with NO state tax?

What's the cost of living in Chicago vs Dallas?

Tell me where i'm wrong
You're wrong that startup businesses aren't getting established in or very close to cities.

Taxes are not the only factor for where you choose to do business.

People making more than 250K in personal income should be taxed between 50-60% on any income above 250K.

Between 0-250K taxes shouldn't be higher than 25%.

0-50K should pay no taxes and we can stop wasting time and money on refunds.

400K for joint filling.
<Dany07>

As you might argue, any Presidential Administration can walk in and crush the efforts of the EPA, clearly demonstrating its shortcomings from an institutional perspective.

We're kind of seeing the opposite of that, though that might just be the unusual incompetence of the current administration.

Honestly 0 until the dollar is actually backed by something other then fairies and unicorn farts. We need the gold standard again.
0 on income tax. You work for whats yours no one has a right to dig their hand in your pocket.
10 percent on electronics, plastics, etc like we tax now should stay the same.
15-20 percent sin tax(alcohol, tobacco,etc)

Last edited:
I just made them up.

The bottom 50% contribute 3% of the annual revenue. We literally don't need their money.

Not only would it cover the current costs, we'd probably make more revenue.

I'm late to the party.....
3% is low but that number is still 38 billion..

Back