what level of athlete is Dominick Cruz? he has very little background in any discipline

Well it's GREAT footwork to be fair
I'm not making the argument that it's not special, and it's not going to become par for every fighter. But it's just the gold standard (one of them) of what great footwork should look like in MMA. Most MMA fighters just have really really bad footwork, like atrociously bad by striking standards because to be fair, it's hard to have great footwork when you have to worry about takedowns and you've only been striking for 3, 4, 5 years like a lot of MMA fighters.

oh
and willie pepbless
NegligibleDeepFlyingfox.gif

giphy.gif

Yea i see it more and more. lol Very cool.

It's the type fighter you are as well though too. I mean boxing has a bunch of different style and yes GREAT footwork can only help but the timing and decisions of your directions are their own fingerprint on a real deep level. Opponents looking for signs and rhythm to counter. I agree they all have the same fundamental movement at their disposal but someone like Pac Man has a pretty unique straight forward back and forth hopping style. That's it's own thing you'd have to agree.

I'm sure you know all of this but guys like Hamed had the over the top style but his shit was almost just flamboyant to catch you off guard. I think you'd agree Naz footwork wasn't anything special compared to the best.

My brain is completely forgetting your Sweet Pea example but Margarito is pretty fresh and he was plodding forward here and there using the default good footwork you refer to but with the mexican style of plodding forward and brawling. That's it's own thing too for me anyway. It's a different story you are telling with your feet.

I guess if it's simplified enough there is Counter Striking Footwork and then Attacking Footwork. I just can't pile them all together as just footwork for the sake of a term being annoying. Plus i put the style into my game so i have to defend my action. lol

Whether i am right or off base it's good to know that there are some smart dudes looking at things on that level around here.

Yea i see it more and more. lol Very cool.

It's the type fighter you are as well though too. I mean boxing has a bunch of different style and yes GREAT footwork can only help but the timing and decisions of your directions are their own fingerprint on a real deep level. Opponents looking for signs and rhythm to counter. I agree they all have the same fundamental movement at their disposal but someone like Pac Man has a pretty unique straight forward back and forth hopping style. That's it's own thing you'd have to agree.

I'm sure you know all of this but guys like Hamed had the over the top style but his shit was almost just flamboyant to catch you off guard. I think you'd agree Naz footwork wasn't anything special compared to the best.

My brain is completely forgetting your Sweet Pea example but Margarito is pretty fresh and he was plodding forward here and there using the default good footwork you refer to but with the mexican style of plodding forward and brawling. That's it's own thing too for me anyway. It's a different story you are telling with your feet.

I guess if it's simplified enough there is Counter Striking Footwork and then Attacking Footwork. I just can't pile them all together as just footwork for the sake of a term being annoying. Plus i put the style into my game so i have to defend my action. lol

Whether i am right or off base it's good to know that there are some smart dudes looking at things on that level around here.

Yeah I don't mean to say that all footwork is the same, but the general ideas are. Like I think Jose Aldo vs Frankie Edgar was one of the most impressive displays of footwork in MMA in a long time - and it's clearly not the same thing as what Dom does. And what Dom does is much different than TJ and DJ do, and Max Holloway is a different breed then all of them. But I can see the value of classifying certain fighters together by style or the tactics that they enjoy to use.

Its well known that Cruz learned all his footwork from repeated viewings of
Breakin' 2: Electric Boogaloo

Laugh all you want, he is. Jones couldn't come close to doms level of angles & footwork with 10 years of training. Jones relies on having a foot of height and reach over his 40 yr old opponents to win, in an amongst the 5000 eye pokes. He does not have the skill dom does.

Yeah I don't mean to say that all footwork is the same, but the general ideas are. Like I think Jose Aldo vs Frankie Edgar was one of the most impressive displays of footwork in MMA in a long time - and it's clearly not the same thing as what Dom does. And what Dom does is much different than TJ and DJ do, and Max Holloway is a different breed then all of them. But I can see the value of classifying certain fighters together by style or the tactics that they enjoy to use.

Agree 1000% on Aldo vs Edgar. That was really impressive.

And some high-schoolers turn down a college career and go to fighting early (dumb-asses)

Laugh all you want, he is. Jones couldn't come close to doms level of angles & footwork with 10 years of training. Jones relies on having a foot of height and reach over his 40 yr old opponents to win, in an amongst the 5000 eye pokes. He does not have the skill dom does.

I can't stand Jon Jones but he subs BJJ black belts, outstrikes good MMA strikers and outwrestles Olympians. Dom decisions midgets.

Having one aspect of his game that makes him look like a spaz doesn't make him skilful.

I can't stand Jon Jones but he subs BJJ black belts, outstrikes good MMA strikers and outwrestles Olympians. Dom decisions midgets.

Having one aspect of his game that makes him look like a spaz doesn't make him skilful.

Hey I don't want to get in a big argument about it haha I'm just saying IMO Cruz has much more talent than Jon. Cruz beats up midgets but he's also a midget so there's that. Jon had like a foot height and 15 inches of reach on D.C. & anybody remotely close to his size gave him trouble. Gus(about his size with much less reach and a mediocre LHW beat his ass and outwrestled him), even OSP who is very very mediocre stayed in there with a broken foot and Jon couldn't do anything to hurt him. The rest of his wins are super old past prime legends, he stabs everybody in the eyes 50 times, has poor footwork, poor punching/kicking. His knees/elbows and clinch are better than doms but IMO dom is better at everything else. Better technique across the board.

Back