what level of athlete is Dominick Cruz? he has very little background in any discipline

I didn't realize he only reached the high school level of competition at wrestling. In MMA he gets the takedowns like a good D1 wrestler. Very impressive stuff.
Clearly high school wrestling produces beasts.

That and/or they get more time to adapt their game to MMA when they go straight from high school wrestling to MMA.

Definitely A level athlete

D for Dancer

He's not physically naturally gifted in much of anything, but he's smart. He wins because he plans. He does things other guys don't do.

I can tell you don't even sweat pea whittaker bro

I can see why you think they are similar for sure but it's a completely different rhythm and attack when you are dealing with wrestling and kicks. It's not the creation of footwork if that's what you think the style is taking credit for. lol

But yea i've been a boxing guy since i was a kid so i see what you are getting at with Pep. It makes me wonder what kind of influence Dominick used.

Actually only person in the world who has higher athlete level than Dom was Joe Frazier and @thatKid

I can see why you think they are similar for sure but it's a completely different rhythm and attack when you are dealing with wrestling and kicks. It's not the creation of footwork if that's what you think the style is taking credit for. lol

But yea i've been a boxing guy since i was a kid so i see what you are getting at with Pep. It makes me wonder what kind of influence Dominick used.

It's not that it isn't unique, it's that the tactics and intent aren't new. At least not in the way "neofootwork" is used in MMA. There are even kickboxers who use similar tactics and shifts. It's not new. It's just adapted to MMA, like everything else in MMA it's different than where it originates. But we don't call shooting in MMA or walkwalking in MMA (which are different/don't exist in wrestling) "Neowrestling". The term is silly and trendy.

It's just really really great footwork.

you mean starve himself to fight guys 5ft4 or below?
I'm 5'10 and I could make FLW, I don't starve myself. Naturally tall(ish) skinny guys are real lol

Will Chope didn't even look THAT anorexic being a 6'4 FW! Just weirdly built.

Because he was genetically blessed with a great deal of innate talent that others were not. Not everyone needs the same exact level of training or experience to "get" something, some folks are just born knowing it instinctively. This applies to pretty much everything, by the way; There are successful businessmen who never obtained a business degree, there are successful filmmakers who never attended film school, there are gifted children who blast through way through school and even college at a very early age, etc.

I'm 5'10 and I could make FLW, I don't starve myself.
katt-williams.jpg

<{clintugh}>

It's not that it isn't unique, it's that the tactics and intent aren't new. At least not in the way "neofootwork" is used in MMA. There are even kickboxers who use similar tactics and shifts. It's not new. It's just adapted to MMA, like everything else in MMA it's different than where it originates. But we don't call shooting in MMA or walkwalking in MMA (which are different/don't exist in wrestling) "Neowrestling". The term is silly and trendy.

It's just really really great footwork.

I'm not sure why you are taking offense to it though? You got Mckenzietine and Swickatine being named because these guys were hitting guillotines. lol

Fact is the style Cruz, TJ and even Big Ben vs Vera i think? The motion and patterns they were using were unique and the same templates of one another for the most part and that's all the term is. I agree that there is only so much you can create nowadays as everything has been thought of.

I'm 5'10 and I could make FLW, I don't starve myself. Naturally tall(ish) skinny guys are real lol

Will Chope didn't even look THAT anorexic being a 6'4 FW! Just weirdly built.
you probably be the champ at FLW after a few years of training tbh

How much weight doesnhe cut? I have no idea, but he doesn't look like death on the scales or in fights

but you can't deny the man only fights guys 5ft5 or below. it's pitful

he's a black belt in Guido movement, trained at the Jersey Shore.

guido-rocking-out-o.gif

Dom mentions Pep quite a bit.

Not sure but is there any threads about sea level cain being unfit?

you probably be the champ at FLW after a few years of training tbh

but you can't deny the man only fights guys 5ft5 or below. it's pitful
Cody is tall, he has T-rex arms though lol.

Back