What level is Aljo's grappling

MichaelT

Purple Belt
@purple
Reaction score
Compared to guys like Hall, Ortega, Kron, Burns, is he at that level, where you just don't go there with him?

Haven't seen all of his fights, has he ever been outgrappled or shut down on the ground?

He is very good
Maybe not Hall or Ortega, but very good.

Will you bet the house or not?

In MMA, in his division, he's the best in the world.

Legit collegiate pedigree and a Matt Serra black belt. On paper it's good, but nothing special. In the cage he puts it together better than anyone else at 135.

He looked so fluid in the Sandman fight. Just too him down, transitioned and then subbed him like it’s another day in the office. Might be the best title eliminator performance ever, considering that Cory is so deadly.

It’s not on Burns or Kron’s level in the slightest, there’s levels to that kind of control and top pressure.

Aljo is comparative with Hall although Hall is just insane at transitioning between and finishing leglocks.
Ortega and Sterling are just way different grapplers. Aljo has that flow and is brilliant on the back when given the chance, almost like BJ, whereas Ortega is more clinical from top position when it comes to control, passing and dominance.

Compared to guys like Hall, Ortega, Kron, Burns, is he at that level, where you just don't go there with him?

Haven't seen all of his fights, has he ever been outgrappled or shut down on the ground?
He's a pretty good wrestler so he's rarely on his back. He has some crazy submissions off his back though. Early in his UFC career I think he arm triangled? someone from his back. He hasn't shown that kind of submission skills but recently he's been keeping it on his feet. I wouldn't say he's on the level of any of those guys submission wise. He's more of a positional grappler.

In December he lost 6-4 to Roman bravo young in wrestling. Young is one of the 3 best collegiate wrestlers in the country right now at his weight class, so for a full time MMA fighter to have a competitive wrestling match with him is very impressive.

On top of that, Aljo is a BJJ black belt, and a high level one at that. He's one of the most well rounded grapplers in the game.

Last edited:
Well, caraway ( who is no slouch ) nullified and even got the better of him in the grappling department. I wouldn’t say he is elite as in best of the best but he’s the best in his division right now.

Also, he is more of a chain wrestler who takes u down repeatedly and tires you out and he has slick subs. Not your average boring wrestler who takes you down once and holds you for the whole round while landing no gnp or threatening with any sub’s

Last edited:
He's the best overall grappler at BW in my eyes and people still keep sleeping on his standup skills which I find baffling. This fight with Yan is gonna be insane on all levels I think, but don't be surprised when Aljo starts outpointing Yan at various points in the fight with his strikes. That striking is gonna serve to set up his take downs which will also score points. Petr is such a great counter grappler and scrambler that I don't see Aljo locking up a sub (although if anyone at BW can do it, it'd be him), but those points scored will make the difference in a razor-thin decision victory... I think.

If I'm being honest, this is one of the hardest fights to call that I can remember.

Respect to Yan for openly stating Sterling deserves the shot, and for making it is first title defense.

Sterling is a bad fight for anyone in that division, in most of his fights his grappling has clearly earned him the win.

He insta choked sandhagen, who can barely grapple, and everyone's freaking out. So who knows

In December he lost 6-4 to Roman bravo young in wrestling. Young is one of the 3 best collegiate wrestlers in the country right now at his weight class, so for a full time MMA fighter to have a competitive wrestling match with him is very impressive.

On top of that, Aljo is a BJJ black belt, and a high level one at that. He's one of the most well rounded grapplers in the game.

<TheWire1>

Damn, Bravo-Young is pretty dang good, that's impressive. Aljo definitely has the best grappling at 135, not sure how it stacks up against the best in the sport tho. Time will tell, I guess.

Back