What leg do you lead in the over/under clinch?

^ The above video shows establishing just an underhook. That's not what I'm asking about. I'm asking about the over/under clinch -- when you each have an overhook on one side and an underhook on the other.

When getting an underhook, it is very, very difficult to get it while leading with the opposite side leg, and even hard to keep it that way. With a single underhook, you want your underhook side leg AS DEEP AS POSSIBLE as long as your opponent does not have an underhook on the opposite side. Why? Because you gain far more control of their hips, and you stop overhook moves such as arm throws and carrys.

When in an over/under, you almost always want your overhook side leg forward. Of course, when moving, at some points your underhook leg is going to come forward, but you dont want it there for long. If you have a guy that is just sitting in terrible position or you are re-adjusting to ratchet your underhook up for a fraction of a second, yes, it is okay. Why? Because when your underhook leg is forward, you will get step around bodylocked. In addition, you have now lost any ability to stop a sag body lock other than trying to stop his head from bending back, which only eliminates high amplitude throws; you will still get sag bodylocked.

So I've seen you state this in a few different threads, but that body lock only works if you're able to collapse the under hook to his body. Is it always that easy for you? Because I'd think that a deep underhook would make breaking it down hard.

Thanks Holt! I never knew the term "sag" body lock.

This guy is not doing anything close to a sag body lock. He is doing a very poorly executed step around with zero hip punch.

A sag body lock is where you step in with your overhook side leg, then instead of stepping around all the way to the other leg, you sag back toward your overhook side leg, loading the guy on top then throwing. The sag body lock requires the most hip punch out of all body locks/upper body throws. It is most effective when a guy stops your step around by getting his leg out of range. Thats when you go inside, reverse directions then spin him on your chest and start chugging like a motherfucker. It is one of the hardest moves to time and hit but when thats your game, it works very well. Also very, very high risk.

I will take some vids of it tonight if any wrestlers show up to nogi.

When getting an underhook, it is very, very difficult to get it while leading with the opposite side leg, and even hard to keep it that way. With a single underhook, you want your underhook side leg AS DEEP AS POSSIBLE as long as your opponent does not have an underhook on the opposite side. Why? Because you gain far more control of their hips, and you stop overhook moves such as arm throws and carrys.

When in an over/under, you almost always want your overhook side leg forward. Of course, when moving, at some points your underhook leg is going to come forward, but you dont want it there for long. If you have a guy that is just sitting in terrible position or you are re-adjusting to ratchet your underhook up for a fraction of a second, yes, it is okay. Why? Because when your underhook leg is forward, you will get step around bodylocked. In addition, you have now lost any ability to stop a sag body lock other than trying to stop his head from bending back, which only eliminates high amplitude throws; you will still get sag bodylocked.

This is how I've always done it. Great explanation. I usually undertook one side, step in with the same leg, and "jam" the opposite side by pushing on the crook of his elbow.

Back