What Kind of Trading Cards Did You Collect as a Kid?

Comic book cards. Started when I was like 6 years old. I'm 38 now. I lived right behind a comic book shop in Clarksville TN called Viking Comics and Cards. My parents gave me a few dollars everyday to go get a pack of cards and I had a friend whose parents did the same. Our apartments were right behind the comic book shop. We hung out there everyday looking at comic books and playing Nintendo with the workers there. We were little kids and the workers were cool. Our parents would come to the store looking for us to tell us to come home for dinner or whatever. They also sold Nintendo games and thats where I got my games.

Good times back then
Your parents tricked the comic shop into providing cheap daycare/babysitting.

Garbage pale kids. Still have my entire collection, of hundreds. I'm convinced they will be worth something some day.

Had thousands of WWF/WWE cards too, including gold plated ones and ones with actual pieces of the wrestling canvas.

and of course, pokemon

Yugioh cards. I wish I kept all of mine some of them are worth a lot nowadays

Ditto.

I had a 1st edition Charizard in my first pack, that someone eventually stole. One of my friends got a 1st edition rare mewtwo cards from a magazine giveaway, that I bought off him for my PS2 and GTA 3, since I'd just got an Xbox and I really wanted that card.

I ended up losing the set, and a couple of valuable comic books, to flooding at my mom's house a few years later.

damn dude that’s unlucky as fuck!

I got my charizard (still got it to this day) because...
when they brought out the ‘jungle packs’
I must have been out shopping with my mum at weekend the very moment they were put out in the shops and I remember getting a scyther or something I dunno something not very good.
But all the kids at school were like WHAT THE FUCK!!!
Mad a time before Internet etc isn’t it.
I swapped it for a charizard with some kid and faked an illness and went home,
It’s still on my shelf right now amongst some others but it’s not a 1st edition or anything but it’s in decent condition, I plan on giving it my kids when they are 18 or something, another 15 years, should be worth a grand or so then I guess

Magic The Gathering. I had full sets, mint alpha rares, the whole nine yards.

When I was mid 30s, I tossed tehm all in the trash. Couldnt be bothered to seperate and sell them all by card since nobody would by the collection as a whole.

Seems everyone wants Charizard. Why don't they just create more Pokemons that look like they'll fit in well in the Godzilla universe?

I'm playing Pokemon Y and yesterday tried to catch some Pokemons from a list of the best ones in the game, and a bunch were like a flower, a slime, ice cube, stuff that don't look very powerful. Maybe they'll evolve into powerful looking ones.

comic book cards, marvel Series 2 and 3, xmen cards too

What kind of trading cards did you collect as a kid?
Batman-1989-trading-cards-300x300.jpg

Batman (1989)

Batman+2.JPG

Batman (1989) series 2

s-l1600.jpg

Terminator 2

4dd5cc01-df7c-4026-b8e0-3fd8cdbab12d.jpg

Garbage Pail kids

il_570xN.380667037_h5va.jpg

Wacky Packages

cfd743efa320f2dd0cb4756b7d6e8b80--boris-vallejo-fantasy-men.jpg

Boris Vallejo

51K6NbAnJ-L._SY445_QL70_.jpg

Baseball cards

il_570xN.612927244_ed89.jpg

Football cards

Garbage Pail Kids. There were stickers so in class I would rip them up and stick them in the hair of the kid that sat in front of me in math. Because the teacher would send everyone to the chalkboard to do problems. Then that dude would have all the stickers in the back of his hair and I would just be fucking dying laughing at him. He was a friend. I think 8th grade.

I have 18 of these, mint booooooooooooooy
1990-Pro-Set-Barry-Sanders-1-Hawaii-Trade-Show-Promo-front1-213x300.jpg

3 of these
1989-Pro-Set-Barry-Sanders-Rookie-Card-1.jpg

6 of these
1990-Topps-1000-Yard-Club-Barry-Sanders.jpg

All from my dad. He was a huuuuuge Barry Sanders fan. Got some Joe Montana rookie cards and a shit ton of his cards from throughout his career, especially in KC.

Then I got

61DZ0zs82nL._AC_SL1003_.jpg

Few of these father-son kiss my ass set
1991-mothers-cookies-ken-griffey-jr-4-kgriffey-jrand-sr-holding-bats-49049.jpg

Same with A-Rod rookie cards and a ton of Ichiro and other Mariner, Sonic and Seahawk rookie cards from like 93-02

Elementary School- Garbage Pail Kids
Middle School- Baseball & Hockey
High School- Comic Book cards

I have 18 of these, mint booooooooooooooy
1990-Pro-Set-Barry-Sanders-1-Hawaii-Trade-Show-Promo-front1-213x300.jpg

3 of these
1989-Pro-Set-Barry-Sanders-Rookie-Card-1.jpg

6 of these
1990-Topps-1000-Yard-Club-Barry-Sanders.jpg

All from my dad. He was a huuuuuge Barry Sanders fan. Got some Joe Montana rookie cards and a shit ton of his cards from throughout his career, especially in KC.

Then I got

61DZ0zs82nL._AC_SL1003_.jpg

Few of these father-son kiss my ass set
1991-mothers-cookies-ken-griffey-jr-4-kgriffey-jrand-sr-holding-bats-49049.jpg

Same with A-Rod rookie cards and a ton of Ichiro and other Mariner, Sonic and Seahawk rookie cards from like 93-02
The designs of the 1st 3 yrs of ProSet were very nice looking.

Never thought anyone would have the Mother's cookies cards graded. They look shitty.

In the 90s baseball and comic book cards

I had tons of baseball cards as a kid.

I got a few boxes of these WCW wrestling cards as a kid. There weren’t that many cards in the set so I ended up with like 10 of every one.

5e90311d563a4641802f8a76c6c09007_front.jpg

You can't even find baseball cards in Target or Walmart anymore. What are people trying to chase? Who's the hot rookie card?

NBA cards, specifically 1993-94 Fleer Ultra.

Baseball cards
Sold my stuff to ike a month before they crashed.

I was never huge into cards but I did MTG for a bit in highschool circa 2002-2004 and got a bunch of ST:TNG cards in the mid 90s. Still have all of both in binders somewhere, I have no clue if they're worth anything. Hmmm, let me got check...huh, yeah looks like the first one I checked (Sliver Queen, have three) is worth $100-200 each. I might have to dig out the binder and price the whole pile. I know I don't have any of the big money early shit but there might be some other gems in there.

Back