What kind of thumb injury keeps Lawler out of a November fight?

It isn't out of the realm of possibility that Robbie is simply being a good company man. People aren't weird for questioning this either. If he actually is injured this is odd timing for a guy that is almost never injured. I'm sure there might be a time but I cannot recall Robbie directly pulling out of any fight ever. It is usually management of a sort. But if it is best of luck healing.

I crushed both my right thumb (at different times) and completely crushed and ripped off my right hand index finger (in 1997). That along with soft tissue damage took about 2-3 months to heal and about 4-5 to heal completely with lingering nerve pain because of the POWDERED shards of bone still in my hand. So if this is legit and not simply an attempt by the UFC to market Rousey on a wider scale upping their promotional efforts for next years UFC 200 then he wouldn't be ready to fight by November.

But it isn't questioning Robbie or calling him a liar to wonder about the UFC changing plans. Of course they would. If the injury is legit why wouldn't they? Although this is bullshit and unfair to Holly Holm. Typical that the UFC puts other fighters at risk, their health, their professional record simply to promote one or two fighters. I have an idea, do it for the MARKETABLE ones and quit putting PPV or TV ATTRACTIONS like Mark Hunt on Fight Pass cards. Get a clue and promote other fighters and their brands. It may not seem so short term but for certain ones in the long run it would help rather than hinder the UFC to do so. Even a scumbag promoter like Don King understood this to an extent.

It isn't out of the realm of possibility that Robbie is simply being a good company man. People aren't weird for questioning this either. If he actually is injured this is odd timing for a guy that is almost never injured. I'm sure there might be a time but I cannot recall Robbie directly pulling out of any fight ever. It is usually management of a sort. But if it is best of luck healing.

I crushed both my right thumb (at different times) and completely crushed and ripped off my right hand index finger (in 1997). That along with soft tissue damage took about 2-3 months to heal and about 4-5 to heal completely with lingering nerve pain because of the POWDERED shards of bone still in my hand. So if this is legit and not simply an attempt by the UFC to market Rousey on a wider scale upping their promotional efforts for next years UFC 200 then he wouldn't be ready to fight by November.

But it isn't questioning Robbie or calling him a liar to wonder about the UFC changing plans. Of course they would. If the injury is legit why wouldn't they? Although this is bullshit and unfair to Holly Holm. Typical that the UFC puts other fighters at risk, their health, their professional record simply to promote one or two fighters. I have an idea, do it for the MARKETABLE ones and quit putting PPV or TV ATTRACTIONS like Mark Hunt on Fight Pass cards. Get a clue and promote other fighters and their brands. It may not seem so short term but for certain ones in the long run it would help rather than hinder the UFC to do so. Even a scumbag promoter like Don King understood this to an extent.

I don't understand what crazy conspiracy theory are you trying to put forward here? That they did a bait and switch on all the ticket buyers wanting to see Robbie? She sales WAY more than Robbie does, that's a really fucking stupid thing to think.

The reality is they are moving her to save the card, since it was a super weak card now missing the only real attraction. This actually hurts the UFC's plan of building JJ into a star by ticketing her with Rousey. Rousey is a proven commodity now, if you seriously think they are trying to fake up some numbers for her you're not worth talking to.

HUGE Robbie fan, but I think that Ronda is a bigger draw for this card than Robbie/Carlos. I understand wanting to build JJ, but to further the theory, the UFC is striking while the iron is hot with Ronda. It's a foreign card in a place that doesn't get events too often, so it will sell well, regardless who is fighting. Besides, Hunto is on the card, so he might carry the sales, himself (ticket sales, not PPV sales). I think for this one, the UFC sees the probability of breaking an attendance record, and an opportunity to add more to the Rousey lore.

It is out of the realm of possibility you damn nutter.

I think TS probably never went outside as a kid.

Seriously, if this was a completely fake injury don't you think they would have used something that sounded more serious TS?

I never said he's faking the injury. I didn't imply that nor did I say that, so don't put words in my mouth. I wasn't calling Robbie a liar either I was simply wanting to know what kind of thumb injury postpones a fight that isn't until November.

I honestly wish that he and Ronda were on the same card together as was initially rumored. That would have surely been a card that would have done well on pay per view and sold 70,000 seats.

Must be a pretty fucking gnarly paper cut. That shit stings.

3315839783_c4159a9701.jpg

To be fair, reports from his camp indicate he had gotten lemon juice in the wound.

If it's broken you wouldn't be able to hold properly when grappling etc. Would severely impact the outcome of the fight, and Robbie isn't really way ahead of the pack like JBJ so he needs to be in perfect shape.

I've had a multitude of injuries from various sports. By far the most painful were the torn ligaments in my thumb that was caused by, of all things, adjusting my boxers as I was getting dressed.

When I pulled on my pants, my boxers rode up. As I reached down to adjust them I caught my thumb in the waistband & bent it back to my forearm.

The injury required surgery & another 3 months of physiotherapy.

...very embarrassing...

Only on sherdog do computer losers question the motives of tried and true champions like Lawler.

Why does he need an explanation for anything. Dude gamebred since day one.

it takes 6-8 weeks to mend a break, assuming no surgery on top of that...

how's a guy supposed to train striking, grappling, and strength in 2-4 weeks?

He was trying to impress Hector Lombard by playing the knife game and had an oopsy.

Probably not serious. UFC needed to sell that massive stadium out so they bumped Honda up

Before all the idiots say I'm questioning Robbie's toughness, Robbie Lawler has been my favorite fighter since before he even went to Strikeforce and before he even came back to the UFC I predicted him to be the welterweight champ. So with that said....

Why does a thumb injury keep him out all the way until November? Where only at the end of August now that's a good 2 1/2 months until the fight. How would it not be healed up in time? Plus does anyone know the nature of his thumb injury? Is it broken or is it a torn muscle or what?

I also don't really see how a thumb injury prevents somebody from training effectively either. I think Conor McGregor messed up his thumb before his fight with Dustin and was still able to continue training and won the fight.

Can somebody please shine some insight?

I'll try: I took a kick from my brother directly on the thumb. It crunched the edges of my bone plates and almost completely tore the ligament. It would have been better had it torn because the repair would have been surgery. As it was, I had to do 4 months of physical therapy so I could move it again...oh yeah, plenty of nerve damage too. Second worst pain I've ever felt and they braced it for me because it gave me a sense of security, not because it needed to be braced. I just needed to know that if I bumped it lightly on something, I wouldn't necessarily pass out. I did once or twice still but the brace gave me a fighting chance.

for the record my brother is not a pro fighter and it was just a weak kick that caught my thumb perfectly and made it so the doctors could touch my thumbnail to my arm the backwards way. If Robbie injured it in sparring with a pro or even a novice that trains, it's fucked up. Also, if Robbie is out of a fight, it's FUCKED!

Last edited:
Before all the idiots say I'm questioning Robbie's toughness, Robbie Lawler has been my favorite fighter since before he even went to Strikeforce and before he even came back to the UFC I predicted him to be the welterweight champ. So with that said....

Why does a thumb injury keep him out all the way until November? Where only at the end of August now that's a good 2 1/2 months until the fight. How would it not be healed up in time? Plus does anyone know the nature of his thumb injury? Is it broken or is it a torn muscle or what?

I also don't really see how a thumb injury prevents somebody from training effectively either. I think Conor McGregor messed up his thumb before his fight with Dustin and was still able to continue training and won the fight.

Can somebody please shine some insight?

camp is 3 months. fight is 2.5 months. can't do camp with thumb in cast.
Solved.

Back