What kind of thumb injury keeps Lawler out of a November fight?

As someone who's had repeated injuries to both thumbs, a really bad thumb injury stops you doing almost anything.

Can't grip, can't punch (especially in mma gloves), can't do any standing grappling (pummelling under is super painful) and you can't put any weight on it.

I jammed my index finger about 6 weeks ago bad throwing a punch that was blocked on the point of an elbow, still hurts to even throw a jab with it.

ITT someone that's never trained and doesn't understand how debilitating even smaller hand injuries can be, and questions one of the toughest ufc champs.

Ronda rousey is ranked higher on the p4p list, so doesn't it make sense that she would be critical of him?

I've sprained my thumb several times playing sports (basketball and volleyball especially).

It fucking kills. I hyper-extended (bent it too far back) and it took me like 1.5-2 months to finally move my fingers & thumb without feeling any kind of pain.

I really messed up my thumb in wrestling. It took me a little over two months until i could use my hand somewhat normally again. I couldn't even grab things, I can't imagine effectively going through a training camp with something like that. Robbie is infinitely tougher than me, but if your hand doesnt work, it doesnt work.

You don't punch with your thumb. You you might use it for grappling but when I made a thread about the potential for Robbie shooting for some takedowns everybody said I was crazy and Robbie would just try to stand and bang. Sooo.....

So do you honestly think that he can go do some light sparring and his thumb won't feel any of that impact? The entire arm is going to hit and get hit sparring. There's also clench work, and he needs to train grappling whether he plans to initiate it or not. Fights end up all over the place

It's gotta be pretty damn bad. I don't remember him ever pulling out of a fight before. He can probably touch his wrist with it.

I can actually do that, I'm double jointed.

Can somebody please shine some insight?

If I may speculate....it's not about the thumb. It could be a few things.

1. After Rousey pulled amazing PPV numbers in Brazil, UFC brass may have felt it a much safer sell for a stadium to put Rousey on the card.

2. Robbie is probably very OK with trading UFC 193 in Melbourne with UFC 195 in Las Vegas. Robbie has never fought outside the USA, that I know of.

3. Robbie may have protested going to Australia to fight an American after being headlined by a smaller weight class interm title fight.

4. If he did have a thumb injury, 7 more weeks would be advantagous for him to fully rehab that and still have a full training camp.

5. It will be summer in Melbourne( I think) and she could have another post fight vacation. There could even be an extended layover in Hawaii on the way back, it you know what I mean.

6. It also gives Rousey more time to fully recover before she starts filming Mile 22 in February. She broke her thumb in her 16 second finish of Davis. No matter how dominant she is, she can still take some damage.

There may be some more aspects to this, but the way I see it. It works for Robbie. It works for Rousey. AND it works for the UFC.

If a guy like Robbie pulls then is some serious shit

magic-tricks-thumb.jpg

that bad huh?

Umm a break would take two of those months...

You don't punch with your thumb...

Obviously one doesn't punch with a thumb. But let me whack yours with a hammer then have you punch someone in the head and we'll see just how fetal you go.

You don't punch with your thumb. You you might use it for grappling but when I made a thread about the potential for Robbie shooting for some takedowns everybody said I was crazy and Robbie would just try to stand and bang. Sooo.....

You bang your thumb around all the time when punching. Do you think you ALWAYS ONLY land with the top two knuckles? Even hitting pads it is impossible to remove the thumb from the equation. It kinda sounds like you've read a book about punching but never actually thrown one. If thumb's damaged enough it's very painful to even make a solid fist.

You bang your thumb around all the time when punching. Do you think you ALWAYS ONLY land with the top two knuckles? Even hitting pads it is impossible to remove the thumb from the equation. It kinda sounds like you've read a book about punching but never actually thrown one. If thumb's damaged enough it's very painful to even make a solid fist.

I think TS probably never went outside as a kid.

Seriously, if this was a completely fake injury don't you think they would have used something that sounded more serious TS?

I think TS probably never went outside as a kid.

Seriously, if this was a completely fake injury don't you think they would have used something that sounded more serious TS?

I know, right? How do you get through childhood without realizing how debilitating a small joint injury is? My thumb joints are STILL sensitive from multiple strains and sprains.

It's what champs do. Ride the notoriety as long as possible.

Depends on the extant of the injury. I once broke my right index finger, the tendon came off the bone and it took about 3 months to fully heal.

Back