What kind of technique do you use when free sparring starting from the knees?

I either pull guard, armdrag, or get a good grip on his collar and sleeve and do this sort of judo trip thing. Sometimes if he steps up on one leg I can get a single leg too.

I don't really do a "takedown" I just use it as an opportunity to practice grip fighting.

Best knee wrestler of all time:

030301slack5.jpg

Nick Ackerman, college national champion from Simpson. I wouldn't want to start on my knees against him..

Whatever you do, if your partner sits back to pull guard, don't try leaping over it or using some lame half ass technique to pass. Embrace the guard and work on passing it; as said by pretty much everyone else already just sit back and play your guard if hes not pulling guard.

We start with one person in guard, or occasionally, with side control. If we decide we want people to have to work for position, we have them start on their feet (though some clubs won't have the mat space for this). Sometimes we start off giving one person a free throw, where the action starts as soon as the person being thrown hits the ground (its considered bad form to drive the person with the free throw of course).

Starting on the knees makes no sense, its not good for groundwork or standing - that is, wrestling off your knees for a 'takedown' has almost no transferable skills. Either start from a real ground position, or start on your feet.

Hi guys,

I was just wondering if you have any suggestions or tips to get the upperhand when free sparring with a partner, but you both have to start on your knees? It's that first attack that I'm struggeling with.

Thank you! :)

Head snaps, 2 on 1's, half nelson, wrestling moves basically.
Or this:
YouTube - Self Defense
Still don't know how to embed...

I either pull a type of guard or the other guy does. Not too much knee wrestling going on.

i am never on my knee's, ever... its either squatting/crouching or on my back, if they're on their knee's i either collar drag them onto their face or flying triangle/guard pull

If people insist on going from the knees, or if we happen to scramble and come up onto our knees, ude gaeshi is my go-to if I am going to try something.

Nothing. Starting from the knees is only cause there is no room in class or to avoid injury. I see guys going to a stalemate while on the knees and it just kills me. Just get after it. Doesnt matter how you get to the ground and begin rolling.

Coming from a Judo and Wrestling background, I prefer a top game.

I work 2 on 1's, arm drags, duck unders and firemans/kata guruma to side control.

If the guy pulls guard, then I've achieved my preference.

Like any initial step in grappling, go work on grip and angles first.

Back