What kind of technique do you use when free sparring starting from the knees?

I usually sit on my ass and play guard. From there try to control his wrists so that he can't get dominant grips or pins my legs down. If he decides to play guard, then I'll stand or get to a low crouch. I hate wrestling from the knees.

Actually some good advice in here. I have never tried turtling at the beginning of a roll. I'm going to try it tomorrow night!

Usually, I just get a collar and sleeve and pull guard.

Actually some good advice in here. I have never tried turtling at the beginning of a roll. I'm going to try it tomorrow night!

Usually, I just get a collar and sleeve and pull guard.

Same here, I would never start off from the turtle position. And I don't think I'm going to start...unless I'm working on escapes or something.

I pull their gi down using one hand and then transition to back control by placing my free hand on the back of their neck. Like anything no technique will always and sometimes it's easier to pull guard against a bigger guy who most likely wants top position but isn't great at submissions from there.

Aggro buttscoot to half guard. Noobs spend too much time knee wrestling and not enough time learning bjj.

I was actually going to create this thread the other day. Problem I have is that I'm not the strongest guy in the world, and always end up pulling guard whereas I'd like to work other positions.

I was actually going to create this thread the other day. Problem I have is that I'm not the strongest guy in the world, and always end up pulling guard whereas I'd like to work other positions.

If you want to work your top game, ask your training partner if he'd start in guard.

in my rolling class yesterday one of the guys showed me a take down from 1 knee up 1 knee on the floor (as tho proposing for marriage etc)

you move your hands toward their shoulder then dive between their legs and the hand nearest the ankle on the ground grabs and pulls the ankle while your head and shoulder drive their body backward and you drive your shoulder and body up into side control

I use this^ or also, I start in the same position then bring the front leg across his body to post on his knee then execute a trip kind of thing, which take me to side control or knee on belly.

The "takedowns" are a waste of time and don't apply to any "real" situation. In addition to pulling or passing guard, going to a bad position like turtle or even laying on your side is better. Unless you are rolling for money, who cares if you start from a lousy position? It means more if you can get out of it. You can always use the practice.

The "takedowns" are a waste of time and don't apply to any "real" situation. In addition to pulling or passing guard, going to a bad position like turtle or even laying on your side is better. Unless you are rolling for money, who cares if you start from a lousy position? It means more if you can get out of it. You can always use the practice.

I'll disagree, the 'takedowns' are basically the transitions you use when someone shoots in on you/ you have shot in. Don't think of it as takedowns in the sense of two people standing, think of it as the period after someone has shot and you are defending/trying to score. You can work on your 3/4 nelson, arm drags, all sorts of fun stuff.

pull guard. if i want to play top game, then pul guard and work a sweep

I'll disagree, the 'takedowns' are basically the transitions you use when someone shoots in on you/ you have shot in. Don't think of it as takedowns in the sense of two people standing, think of it as the period after someone has shot and you are defending/trying to score. You can work on your 3/4 nelson, arm drags, all sorts of fun stuff.

I'd agree with your disagreeing... haha.
In a real fight type situation you may very well be in a scramble from your knees of in the transition from ground to standing back up. You also make a good point about avoiding a shot. I'd say it also help you get a better feel on your opponent, help you feel when someone is balanced or not.

armdrag, guard, or I turtle... But I dont usually turtle again better guys.

I'm trying to improve my open guard game, so I try to work butterfly guard. Some fellow white belts just stand up and run around me to get to north-south or side control. I guess my guard isn't exactly a mobile one yet.

Half guard, reverse De La Riva, and shin-to-shin guard are currently my go-to open guards.

Hi guys,

I was just wondering if you have any suggestions or tips to get the upperhand when free sparring with a partner, but you both have to start on your knees? It's that first attack that I'm struggeling with.

Thank you! :)

Think about starting in combat base with one knee up and one knee down. That gives you the option of top or bottom depending on what your partner tries to play. You're not helping your game by learning how to wrestle from your knees. It doesn't happen in tournaments.

I tend to go for a kneeling o soto gari if I want to play top. If that doesn't work I play guard. If I'm getting bored, I'll give away side control.

I cringe when I see white belts midget wrestling as if their lives depended on it.

Back