What Kind of People Annoy you in BJJ?

Lol. I visit that place. A bunch of fucking crybabies and anxious people.
A higher belt (three stripe white) made eye contact with me in a weird way. Should I change gyms?

A higher belt (three stripe white) made eye contact with me in a weird way. Should I change gyms?
Typical reddit post:
Hey guys look at me. I just started jiu jitsu. I earned my first stripe. That other white belt is super strong and doesn’t use techniques. I watched all the YouTube videos but I still can’t get the Gogoplata. What magic can I do stop that purple belt from beating me? Oh yeah that purple belt put his knee on my chest and held it there for a bit, how can I tell him it’s a dick move without offending him. Also, I eat a Açaí everyday but it’s not really helping my jiu jitsu. Do you want to see my new tattoo. Oh by the way I love jiu jitsu even though I just started yesterday you know I’m so passionate about it I am pretty much a purple belt.

Last edited:
People who, after getting dominated, say things like "it's my first time in this week", and "my diets been so terrible lately". I find I get so many excuses from people and perhaps the statements are true but I personally find myself fired up for the first class of the week and I even if I was feeling off, I lose to someone because their jiu jitsu triumphed over mine that day, nothing more.

Big guys who maul little guys, but somehow don't recognize that their combination of big + maul is a significant factor in their success.

I often get accused of this, even when I know its not true, and its gotten to the point where if I'm rolling with a woman or lighter person I sometimes barely even move because if I dare sweep or submit them, it is 100% because I am big and scary and not because my jiu jitsu is better than theirs

People who, after getting dominated, say things like "it's my first time in this week", and "my diets been so terrible lately". I find I get so many excuses from people and perhaps the statements are true but I personally find myself fired up for the first class of the week and I even if I was feeling off, I lose to someone because their jiu jitsu triumphed over mine that day, nothing more.

I often get accused of this, even when I know its not true, and its gotten to the point where if I'm rolling with a woman or lighter person I sometimes barely even move because if I dare sweep or submit them, it is 100% because I am big and scary and not because my jiu jitsu is better than theirs

All things considered, i would rather be the undersized guy in the gym than a big guy. We have some genuine big monsters in my gym and they know it and I can always tell half their battle is just not smashing thier smaller opponents and even then they get reminded all the time how big they are.

It's not their fault they are bigger than most everyone else.

What about the family guy who works 50+ hours a week, is traveling all the time and sometimes makes it once or if he is lucky, twice a week? If he told you he can’t train as much as he liked - do you still hold it against him?

All things considered, i would rather be the undersized guy in the gym than a big guy. We have some genuine big monsters in my gym and they know it and I can always tell half their battle is just not smashing thier smaller opponents and even then they get reminded all the time how big they are.

It's not their fault they are bigger than most everyone else.

Yeah, especially because most people at your average BJJ gym are smaller than the norm--it's a sport that favors shorter people in some ways, much like gymnastics (or maybe bigger people tend to do other sports--bball, football--rather than grappling?). There's this one white belt at my gym who has to be at least 6'3'' and they always struggle to find someone for him to pair up with. I hear the most frequent injuries are from inexperienced people hurting someone by accident, so inexperienced large people = dangerous.

What about the family guy who works 50+ hours a week, is traveling all the time and sometimes makes it once or if he is lucky, twice a week? If he told you he can’t train as much as he liked - do you still hold it against him?

Yes it is situational, I know people who come in on their lunch break and show up and leave in such a rush and I have so much respect for them because they come in even when their schedule really does not favour them training. It's people who I know, and I know they have good jiu jitsu and will happily dominate other people, but as soon as I give them a hard time pulling off their techniques, or end up in a dominate position, the excuses start rolling out.

People who try to say 'oh, I really like this technique!' when we drill something completely different. Or, someone who says 'no, no. Do it this way'.

Guys who resist too hard/ go too hard during drills. I don't get it, are they trying to prove something?

- The "woah you're strong!" guys after they get beaten
- The white belt instructors

Partners who ask too many non-BJJ related questions especially about my personal life and treat the club as a social circle.

I am only there to learn and that's all.

Partners who ask too many non-BJJ related questions especially about my personal life and treat the club as a social circle.

I am only there to learn and that's all.
Do you mean before, during or after class?

Most people I'm fine with, the two things that annoy me are people who don't want to work hard during the technical/drilling portion of class (because don't waste my time), and people who don't roll hard and use that as a sort of passive-aggressive defense mechanism for why they lose (because sincerity >>>> irony).

The first one annoys me, too. I'm there to work hard and get in as many high quality reps as possible before rolling. What do you mean about the second kind, though? Sometimes I intentionally let my opponent in class put me in awful positions. Sometimes they catch me, and sometimes I escape. I want to know if I'm that second kind of person you said hah. I don't make excuses when they get me but I definitely sometimes let them get to the position (i.e. back take, mount) where they sometimes finish me so I can work out of those positions. Is that what you mean or something different?

Quite a few, but thankfully these are very few at my academy and most of my training partners are awesome.
  • People who stink; luckily very rare at my academy
  • The talkers who won't shut the hell up and rep technique
  • New students who resist during drilling and won't listen when you tell them not to resist so we can practice the mechanics of each technique
  • Students who try to teach but don't really understand the technique themselves
  • People who ask too many questions when the instructor is teaching a technique.
  • People who sweat tremendously. I don't blame them, I know they can't help it. So, it's not a big deal. But it's still annoying to have buckets of someone else's sweat pouring into my eyes when I'm on bottom. Talk about an incentive to not be on bottom!

Guys who resist too hard/ go too hard during drills. I don't get it, are they trying to prove something?

This is maybe the worst. You can't drill techniques properly if the opponent is not giving the correct response. It's a huge waste of time.

maybe they are trying to prove that you need to drill better. a wet noodle is not always a good partner. Learn to deal with resistance. I often see whitebelts give up on a technique if it takes much effort.

e.g. if you're drilling guard breaks, you want your partner to offer a decent amount of resistance in order to simulate the process of opening of somebody's guard in a match. cross collar chokes and triangles are another example; tapping early instead of resisting the choke will prevent your partner from really learning to sink it in deep.

but of course there is a point where resistance becomes fighting, and that is not drilling.

Last edited:
You either win or you learn.... mostly preached by losers.

maybe they are trying to prove that you need to drill better. a wet noodle is not always a good partner. Learn to deal with resistance. I often see whitebelts give up on a technique if it takes much effort.

e.g. if you're drilling guard breaks, you want your partner to offer a decent amount of resistance in order to simulate the process of opening of somebody's guard in a match. cross collar chokes and triangles are another example; tapping early instead of resisting the choke will prevent your partner from really learning to sink it in deep.

but of course there is a point where resistance becomes fighting, and that is not drilling.

Ugh so much this. I get it a lot from people who just don't seem like they are that strong or have ever lifted or done anything athletic and they just flop. You can tell who they are because in warmups they fall and crumple sideways instead of doing a forward roll. I see that and know to avoid them as partners.

Back