What kind of job do you have?

What type of job do you have, blue collar (manual labour) or white collar (office work)?

• Total voters
one that allows me to spend all day on multiple forums pretending to be a lost black college student into techmology, living in California.

How did you pull that off? Win the lotto? Finished working after 40 years? Inheritance?
Both of my parents dropped out of PhD school with 5 master degrees between the two ofem. My dad was basically retired at 50 but he nor my mother work in fields that are even relevant to their multiple science and physics-based degrees. My dad worked for Cisco Systems as a project manager for at least a decade-plus and topped out around 200k a year and he was laid off when he was like 46? He just recently took a contract to work as a project manager at the tune of 250k a year for 3 years. My mom decided that anything that wasn't research was boring as fuck quit her job that paid six figures doing basically next to nothing. She took up circuit editing, opened her own business, and when she's got a ton of business she's making CEO money. Still, even though they have like 4 million in just liquid assets and I have no idea nor care to know how much they've saved, they don't seem content. I think the people who tend to be the most successful are so because they've become somewhat addicted to the intrinsic motivation behind working.

And here I am just hoping to pull 6 figures a year with a post-grad degree in Psychology. Hell, if I can even accomplish a 1/5th of what my parents have already I'd be retired. Albeit in some cheap state. Some people need millions to retire while some of us only need what we need

Fair enough. Know that learning is life long and never ends. One day you'll have a chance to learn what you want and make a career from it. In university there were several sixty and seventy year olds that got degrees. Age doesn't mean shit. I'd much rather higher an older person than a pimple nosed bed wetter right out of college.
@fingercuffs shit I feel old being that I'll be 27 when I get my BA in General Psychlogy and I'll be in my 30s by the time I get my postgraduate degree. One of my favorite professors finished her PhD at the age of like 72? Shit I've been in college since I dropped at out 15 and went back and forth with it and somehow managed to transfer to a private 4-year college with the highest employment rate in the country. I end up paying around the same you would pay for a state institution but the classes are never bigger than maybe 20 people? I had a chick in a human rights class that had like a 1.5 or 1.6 gpa and was somehow graduating with a BS in business and she had already been working at tesla making 80-85k a year. She once asked the professor if a D was a passing grade. It's a double-edged sword in what you major, you can focus on making money or focus on your interests but you gotta keep it real. Or you'll end up like a dude I know who got a master's degree in history yet he works as an electrician, and he probably makes more as an electrician than he would've ever made as a teacher unless he worked at a private university or something.

The only thing age plays a role in is how well you consolidate working memory and short-term memory into long-term memory meaning that you're going to have to work harder to recall and learn things at the age of 50 as opposed to when you're 20.

I work amongst the most affluent people in my area at a country club. One guy that's work something like 400 million that comes here got taken to court by his wife claiming she was raped with a golf putter and tied up for a few days. The one thing that bothers me is how casually some of these members speak about their investments when they're talking about 7 and 8 figure numbers. The irony is that the poorest members we have are the most generous and that guy worth 400 million never tips more than a 2$ bill.

Both. Mainly office work now, but still do shop and installation.
what's the weirdest shit you've come across doing that stuff?

For starters, I used to work at goodwill as a donor greeter when I was unemployable. Some old lady came through and donated a bag full of used, but seemingly clean dildos.

No collar, I'm self employed, but I suppose it would be considered white collar - I work as a lead/senior programmer.

My job is (mostly) driving people to and from hospitals, in non-emergency situations. I like it. It suits me.

Blue collar.

Carpenter Foreman for a large Construction company on a 12 billion dollar Industrial project. Remote camp work. 14 days on 7 days off. 10 (or more) hours a day. Free lodging and food, paid travel to and from work. All in all, it's not a bad gig.

Back