what kind of gear to start off with?

H

hoedown

hey im starting mma class within the next month or two, i wanted to know what kind of gear i should start off with

since im relatively new to combat sports i may be a bit slow on the whole "this is good and heres why" concept

Shorts and a Tshirt/Rashguard
Handwraps - 180inch "mexican"
Bag gloves - either traditional or super, but proper boxing bag gloves
Mouthguard - A simple $5 boil n bite will suffice for now (it's what I use) you can buy a custom later

Later, you'll need 16oz boxing/MT sparring gloves, headgear and shinguards for when you're sparring standup.

^good post.That's the basics,add new gear if you continue..

although you don't even need gloves to start with but using the gym ones can be ...interesting...

and the companies in my signature\/ are a good place to start along with mmawarehouse

Last edited:
Oh, also, get an athletic cup. Either a traditional cup/strap, or something like the Jaco Guardian compression short/cup combos. Getting kicked/kneed in the nuts is not fun.

Assuming you're a guy, of course.

Shorts and a Tshirt/Rashguard
Handwraps - 180inch "mexican"
Bag gloves - either traditional or super, but proper boxing bag gloves
Mouthguard - A simple $5 boil n bite will suffice for now (it's what I use) you can buy a custom later

Later, you'll need 16oz boxing/MT sparring gloves, headgear and shinguards for when you're sparring standup.

i'd say this covers just about everything!

Go cheap when you first start, once you get your feet wet, then you can move up and spend a little more money.

Buy the stikers shinguards first (the bigger ones with more protection), buying the thinner ones that do NOT strap are mostly for MMA.

I'm in the same boat with buying all new gear to start off with....I do have a question though in that list shin guards weren't included what are the best shin guards for Thai boxing at a fairly decent price?

I'm in the same boat with buying all new gear to start off with....I do have a question though in that list shin guards weren't included what are the best shin guards for Thai boxing at a fairly decent price?

Shin guard for Thai boxing are usually all around $40-80, you don't want to go cheap. I recommend any brand like everlast or hayabusa, just make sure theyre the big ones that strap on. You don't want the tight fitting ones, they dont provide as much protection. Get the bigger ones with more padding, you're gunna need them if ur first starting.

Back