What kind of dumb talk is don't leave it in the hands of judges????

That's the funny shit that always gets me. When you get two 30-27's one way and a 30-27 the other way. I've seen 49-46's do the same thing. Judges need to be held accountable for some of their weird ass score cards. Especially when it comes to championship fights.

Plus the judges should have some form of MMA experience to atleast have a clue what they are watching...

Plus the judges should have some form of MMA experience to atleast have a clue what they are watching...
Totally agreed. Apparently someone looked into it and found that Joe Solis (Mr. 49-46) has only judged 8 UFC fights. I'm not sure of other promotions. That, coupled with little to no MMA knowledge other than what's in his MMA handbook, should automatically disqualify him from judging main card fights, let alone championship fights.

Another one that turned in a funky card last night had only previously judged one fight.

ezgif-3-decb7d0c3994.gif

I agree, I've always hated this "don't leave it to the judges" BS.

If the company is openly admitting that the refs are too inept to score fights even remotely correctly then do something about it & insist that all MMA Judges are trained to the point of being competent enough to rely on to do their freaking job rather than have Rogan & Cruz point out that a judge (during a title fight no less) wasn't even bothering to watch the fight which suggests either he's unable to do the job or hints at corruption.

It's not a direct comparison, but when the NFL had its Lockout in 2012 it resulted in incompetent replacement referees & several bad calls that affected games in the first three weeks of the season which was a strong reason for the NFL resolving the lockout & getting the correct refs back in place. The UFC meanwhile has had such terrible judges to the point that the company itself has regularly made reference to it for years & yet done nothing.

I agree, I've always hated this "don't leave it to the judges" BS.

If the company is openly admitting that the refs are too inept to score fights even remotely correctly then do something about it & insist that all MMA Judges are trained to the point of being competent enough to rely on to do their freaking job rather than have Rogan & Cruz point out that a judge (during a title fight no less) wasn't even bothering to watch the fight which suggests either he's unable to do the job or hints at corruption.

It's not a direct comparison, but when the NFL had its Lockout in 2012 it resulted in incompetent replacement referees & several bad calls that affected games in the first three weeks of the season which was a strong reason for the NFL resolving the lockout & getting the correct refs back in place. The UFC meanwhile has had such terrible judges to the point that the company itself has regularly made reference to it for years & yet done nothing.
This. If the ufc hasn't even tried fixing this tremendous problem thst is mma judging then It's probably on purpose because it benefits them. It's so obvious at this point.

This. If the ufc hasn't even tried fixing this tremendous problem thst is mma judging then It's probably on purpose because it benefits them. It's so obvious at this point.

Shrug what are you gonna do....It is what it is

Doesn’t seem stupid to me. Judges are human, and make mistakes. If you don’t want to be on the receiving end of one of those mistakes, do your best to finish the fight so the judges won’t be involved.
Not rocket science.

Couple of morons here kept saying that because of Tuf............................

It's a pretty basic principle.........why risk victory at the opinion of an outside observer? Obviously easier said than done when it come to fighting, but it's a logical premise.

FINISH HIM!
I disagree that "don't leave it in the hands of judges" is dumb. That saying isn't making an excuse for poor judging; it applies even if the judging is excellent. There have been tons of fights that were not poorly judged that were close enough so that that saying was words of wisdom, in retrospect, to the loser.

You are essentially saying - by default - that the champ as an advantage before the fight even begins.
But that is exactly what happens.
To be the champ you gotta beat the champ, dont ever leave it in the hands of the judges. JK

Seriously though, it is entertainment first sport second. People want to see the challenger attempt to take out the champ to earn the
belt, not come out strong for a few rounds and then coast or do minimal damage at the end.
If the a person fighting for the title is not able to come out strong, attempt to finish and dominate the champ in the last round, why should they get the belt?
Yes I know the person that wins the most rounds should win in modern scoring, but look what actually happens. Last night is a good example.

Last edited:
It's just something DW said a while back that caught on.

It had more to do with him wanting to have exciting finishes than any concept of how the sport should function.

Really, being able to rely on judges to do a more or less competent job is pretty fucking key.

Maybe you could say if a fighter doesn't do enough to put a judging decision beyond conjecture, then they don't have much of a basis for complaint.

Otherwise, when the judging sucks, I think they're entitled to call it out.

Its not the judging thats the problem its the humans doing it.
Human beings are the shadiest species to ever live and we reap what we sow.
#shady

Tell that to this guy
180218-silverman-olympic-fix-lede_kyrvtw
One of the biggest robberies in sports history that the IOC refuses to make right

It's shit that shills say to defend shitty decisions

As I said in another thread, if the general consensus is that the judges are so shit you shouldn't leave it to them, then they shouldn't have judges at all.
It's why the Gracie's didnt do judges. They are corrupt or retarded a lot of the time.

Tell that to this guy
180218-silverman-olympic-fix-lede_kyrvtw
This.

Funny how people think Dana created that phrase!

It's been around since way before MMA even existed. Before MMA Dana was a boxing guy (still loves it), where do they think he got it from??

Back