What kind of business does Joshua vs. Fury do?

Prelimtapper

Red Belt
@red
Reaction score
This fight SHOULD be the fight next, but we all know it won't happen due to all the red tape. But what kind of business does it do? It would clearly sellout Wembley Stadium, but is it comparable to Pacquio/Mayweather? 4-5 million PPV buys, 60-70 million dollar gate? If it happened in July, would it be the biggest money making fight ever?

big, but not that big.

AJ sells out wembley fighting anyone with a pulse, but breaking the record for mayweather pacquiao is going to take more than that.

Hard to say right now
Joshua is a big draw and fury is a monster draw
Whatever the numbers look like now is before Tyson sells the fight, which he is a master at

Over here in England, it will be one of the biggest sporting events of all time. I think it clears 2 million PPV here alone.
They are both legitimate household names. My grandmother was even talking about Fury's win to me yesterday.
What would the reception be like in the US?

Theres a few variables at play in terms of what time it would be on relative to different markets etc.

It breaks UK ppv records by a significant margin if its on at a convenient time, and I think the previous record was about 1.5m buys. Could fill out Wembley easy if it was in the UK. Probably pulls in good business in the rest of Europe as well and the Nigerians love AJ.

In the US, assuming its on traditional PPV I dont know if it necessarily beats Fury/Wilder there, even if its on at a fitting time, but it might not be too far off.

On a global level it might be bigger than Lennox/Tyson although nowhere near as big as that was in the US. And it wont be all that close to Floyd/Pac.

Over here in England, it will be one of the biggest sporting events of all time. I think it clears 2 million PPV here alone.
They are both legitimate household names. My grandmother was even talking about Fury's win to me yesterday.
What would the reception be like in the US?
That'd be wild. If any fight over there does that it'd certainly be this.

Everybody knows Fury here but Joshua isn't really known...you're likely to get a comment like "oh the one who lost to the fat guy" or something along those lines with many of the fringe casuals

Fury is actually very well liked though

Is Fury really that popular over there or was him and Wilder just a good package.

Didn’t those 2 fights that didn’t include Wilder bomb pretty hard.

This fight SHOULD be the fight next, but we all know it won't happen due to all the red tape. But what kind of business does it do? It would clearly sellout Wembley Stadium, but is it comparable to Pacquio/Mayweather? 4-5 million PPV buys, 60-70 million dollar gate? If it happened in July, would it be the biggest money making fight ever?

theres talk that they are trying to make it next. If Joshua has to fight pulev to keep the ibf, at the end of the year. I think it will happen this year

Is Fury really that popular over there or was him and Wilder just a good package.

Didn’t those 2 fights that didn’t include Wilder bomb pretty hard.

You can't con the public here(*cough* Wilder's opposition). Everybody knew that he was fighting 2 subpar opponents so the interest wasn't there.

Tyson has been known to the general public since the Wlad fight. His comeback from his mental health issues have really changed the perception of him though. He had a 2 part documentary on ITV, which is terrestrial TV here, meaning every household in the country has it. His win over Wilder was front page news on almost every tabloid paper in the country. It would be literally impossible to live in the UK and have never heard of Tyson Fury.

You can't con the public here(*cough* Wilder's opposition). Everybody knew that he was fighting 2 subpar opponents so the interest wasn't there.

Tyson has been known to the general public since the Wlad fight. His comeback from his mental health issues have really changed the perception of him though. He had a 2 part documentary on ITV, which is terrestrial TV here, meaning every household in the country has it. His win over Wilder was front page news on almost every tabloid paper in the country. It would be literally impossible to live in the UK and have never heard of Tyson Fury.
Fury is more popular than Wilder ever dreamed of getting in america

Fury has a personality and the game to back it up...people like that

I meant that popular over there as in America, I’m from the UK.

Not great domestic, but $$$ in the UK and UAE. Cash that cheque gentlemens.

You can't con the public here *COUGH---Donald fucking Trump*

Fury vs AJ would be by far the biggest UK fight of all time, but wouldn't crack the all time top 20 money making fights worldwide, as the UK is a much smaller market.

No other nation would likely have it on PPV, if it's staged in the UK

If they fought in the US, on ESPN, it could make even more money, than if it were in the UK, but that would be unlikely to happen. That would be appear as Fury and AJ being greedy and slapping the UK fans in the face.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
durbanik916
Back