What kind of boxer are you?

I was a walk-in banger with decent power, a good jab, an excellent body attack & mediocre defense. I wasn't bad at blocking punches with my arms & gloves but my head movement left a lot to be desired. Luckily I was gifted with a good chin though so I was very durable. So, I was never dropped or stopped via punches though I did lose twice inside the distance on cuts as an amateur.
If I had to describe myself by using another fighter it would be as a poor man's Micky Ward. I was 27-5 as an amateur & 2-0-2 ( 1 KO ) with 1 no contest as a pro.

Ahh..hard to say only cuz i havent just boxed in awhile..im usually doing just grappling or more MMA style sparring/training..

That said my first introduction to the combat sports world was boxing..i was inspired by the Rocky movies growing up as a young kid , probably saw the first one when i was 10..

I would say my intentions when boxing is to be an inside fighter..that works effectively behind the jab to get inside and go after my opponents body and chin in close..im looking to freeze you with a strong jab or back you into a corner or wall/ropes and start chopping you down...ive got decent hand speed and my defense is okay..could work on my head movement more but my main interest is MMA and too much traditional boxing head movement can get you in trouble in MMA..footwork is something i work alot on, changing angles and cutting to the sides of my opponents,not chasing but cutting the angle off to force engagements in close..

Kinda like a more measured Rocky lol..been told i have good power for a guy my size...ive beaten alot of 200 plus pound guys on those punch machines at parties and bars lol and im only like 170lbs

My favorite punch is the straight right..

Last edited:
I havent boxed in awhile. Nor I am good.

I like to jab a lot. My body always tries to retreat and play it safe. But I try yo push myself forward to bang.

What style I do not know. Lastly I was trying to move, while staying in a good position, while catching people being off position. So I would say active counter punching. But my counter punching ends with parrying or blocking and countering with a jab or left hook. I was working on adding more punches post counter, instead of admiring my counter with a single punch. For example to make the left hook to a 3-2 or 3-2-3-2 combo and was drilling this combo a lot.

I don't even realize when i'm transferring my weight when i throw my right. I just do it. Thank you for the response.
The main reason I asked you about styles is it has a lot to do with to tools you want to refine. The right hand is the weapon of a counter puncher. If you want to land solid rights you have to draw them on to the counter like a marquis or arguello style or corner them and walk on to the right like Jackson did against Norris. The left hook and body punching is the cornerstone of aggressive fighting. It's a question of car crashes really. It's hard to crash into a car that's driving away from you.

I was a walk-in banger with decent power, a good jab, an excellent body attack & mediocre defense. I wasn't bad at blocking punches with my arms & gloves but my head movement left a lot to be desired. Luckily I was gifted with a good chin though so I was very durable. So, I was never dropped or stopped via punches though I did lose twice inside the distance on cuts as an amateur.
If I had to describe myself by using another fighter it would be as a poor man's Micky Ward. I was 27-5 as an amateur & 2-0-2 ( 1 KO ) with 1 no contest as a pro.
Respect. And you fought in an era when pro boxing meant pro boxing. The fighters of your era were Ridiculous!!! Probably the second golden era of boxing. The first was in the 20's but I believe the highest refinement of pure boxing technique was in the 70's and 80's. ps. @ironkhan57 if you have some questions about boxing or some of the older fighters ask this guy.

I havent boxed in awhile. Nor I am good.

I like to jab a lot. My body always tries to retreat and play it safe. But I try yo push myself forward to bang.

What style I do not know. Lastly I was trying to move, while staying in a good position, while catching people being off position. So I would say active counter punching. But my counter punching ends with parrying or blocking and countering with a jab or left hook. I was working on adding more punches post counter, instead of admiring my counter with a single punch. For example to make the left hook to a 3-2 or 3-2-3-2 combo and was drilling this combo a lot.
The main reason I asked you about styles is it has a lot to do with to tools you want to refine. The right hand is the weapon of a counter puncher. If you want to land solid rights you have to draw them on to the counter like a marquis or arguello style or corner them and walk on to the right like Jackson did against Norris. The left hook and body punching is the cornerstone of aggressive fighting. It's a question of car crashes really. It's hard to crash into a car that's driving away from you.

Yeah i was kind of trying a counter punching style in a spar yesterday. I was sparring a guy who is stronger and mote athletic. He had a really good jab but would telegraph it most of the time, it was fast but he would telegraph it. I was trying to be a more defensive boxer though in their. I took a knee because i was getting tired and i wanted time to regain my energy lol.

Respect. And you fought in an era when pro boxing meant pro boxing. The fighters of your era were Ridiculous!!! Probably the second golden era of boxing. The first was in the 20's but I believe the highest refinement of pure boxing technique was in the 70's and 80's. ps. @ironkhan57 if you have some questions about boxing or some of the older fighters ask this guy.

Thanks, man. Appreciated.

A bad boxer that doesn't move his head enough and gasses out after a few round of heavy sparring.

You need to move that head boy. Or else your going to get knocked the fuck out.
You're damned right I do! That's been the main focus of my sparring for the last week. Did much better yesterday than I had in the past. Prior to that, I had an issue with using the full reach of my jab and cross. Trying to identify individual issues and overcome them. I have only been boxing for about 8 months.

You're damned right I do! That's been the main focus of my sparring for the last week. Did much better yesterday than I had in the past. Prior to that, I had an issue with using the full reach of my jab and cross. Trying to identify individual issues and overcome them. I have only been boxing for about 8 months.

8 months? You should've been known that. Either your instructor doesn't teach head movement, or you were doing good without head movement.

8 months? You should've been known that. Either your instructor doesn't teach head movement, or you were doing good without head movement.
Oh, I know better. My instructors are solid, and they've been drilling good habits into me from the beginning. The issue isn't that I didn't know that I should move my head, but rather that I need to ingrain the habit, especially during sparring. It was a weird transition from throwing in slips and bobs during mitt work and drills to live sparring. I also had a habit of only slipping off-line when reacting to strikes rather than being a moving target. I'd just park myself in the pocket and try to block/counter everything, staying too square, and leaving my elbows too far apart in the high cover. Needless to say, I have eaten many tasty uppercuts. Getting better every session, though!

Oh, I know better. My instructors are solid, and they've been drilling good habits into me from the beginning. The issue isn't that I didn't know that I should move my head, but rather that I need to ingrain the habit, especially during sparring. It was a weird transition from throwing in slips and bobs during mitt work and drills to live sparring. I also had a habit of only slipping off-line when reacting to strikes rather than being a moving target. I'd just park myself in the pocket and try to block/counter everything, staying too square, and leaving my elbows too far apart in the high cover. Needless to say, I have eaten many tasty uppercuts. Getting better every session, though!

Thats good were you training consistently the whole 8 months?

Thats good were you training consistently the whole 8 months?
3-5 days per week. Average of 3 days. Sometimes less, never more. One-hour sessions. The first few months were absolute basics; learning how to throw the punches, keeping my hands up, ring circles etc. as well as getting some conditioning in. Prior to this, I had only ever lifted weights and done very little cardio. My first real sparring session was some time in December against a very experienced boxer. Needless to say, I got the shit beat out of me without landing a single shot. Now, I spar him fairly often and have managed to land some good blows and avoid a lot of the traps he was setting for me.

Back