What kind of boxer are you?

ironkhan57

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
So i thought i'd start a thread about "what kind of boxer are you?" Because i'm curious to how everybody describes their style of boxing.

So are you a jab user? An outside boxer? A pressure fighter? A defensive boxer? Brawler?

My style is relentless and ferocious.
tenor.gif

A smart boxer puncher with great infighting and masterful outfighting usually mixing my big bombs behind the jab. Oft described as a cerebrally athletic, crazy angles with an unorthodox approach to being orthodox.

Seriously though. This is kind of a brain dead thread as it’s going to elicit those type of responses mostly.

A serious analysis. My coach was from the peteonelli gym and was a huge fan of the rock. So learning from him I picked up a lot of that style. Internally rotated so I am inclined to big hooks. My footwork has been a work in progress but it has been getting much better.
In the ring I feel comfortable pressuring and staying in the pocket/ bullying. Confidence is a big problem for me there are plenty of times where I feel I have faltered under fire or underperformed because I got cracked and backed down or psyched myself out.

Edit
I also spent a long time trying to mimic the money may style without proper instructions and got some terrible habits from that. I caught the hardest hit of my life from a poor imition of the crab while I was sparring a guy.
After working with Sin I learned a lot more and have gone back to the drawing board in that regard nowadays I use more of a mid guard like an olivares

A smart boxer puncher with great infighting and masterful outfighting usually mixing my big bombs behind the jab. Oft described as a cerebrally athletic, crazy angles with an unorthodox approach to being orthodox.

Seriously though. This is kind of a brain dead thread as it’s going to elicit those type of responses mostly.

A serious analysis. My coach was from the peteonelli gym and was a huge fan of the rock. So learning from him I picked up a lot of that style. Internally rotated so I am inclined to big hooks. My footwork has been a work in progress but it has been getting much better.
In the ring I feel comfortable pressuring and staying in the pocket/ bullying. Confidence is a big problem for me there are plenty of times where I feel I have faltered under fire or underperformed because I got cracked and backed down or psyched myself out.

Edit
I also spent a long time trying to mimic the money may style without proper instructions and got some terrible habits from that. I caught the hardest hit of my life from a poor imition of the crab while I was sparring a guy.
After working with Sin I learned a lot more and have gone back to the drawing board in that regard nowadays I use more of a mid guard like an olivares

I don't see how it's a brain dead thread, i'm just asking a question, like most people in this forum.

But i appreciate the response.

My style is lazy as fuck. I have done a fair bit of sparring with poor levels of fitness so I developed a fairly conservative style. Also most of my training has been against bigger more aggressive people, so I tend to counter punch a lot. You actually remind me a bit of myself, the way you plant your weight to throw the right, the main difference is I tend to sit back and draw them in with the jab more.

My style is lazy as fuck. I have done a fair bit of sparring with poor levels of fitness so I developed a fairly conservative style. Also most of my training has been against bigger more aggressive people, so I tend to counter punch a lot. You actually remind me a bit of myself, the way you plant your weight to throw the right, the main difference is I tend to sit back and draw them in with the jab more.

I don't even realize when i'm transferring my weight when i throw my right. I just do it. Thank you for the response.

I don't even realize when i'm transferring my weight when i throw my right. I just do it. Thank you for the response.
Punching should feel "natural", if you have to "think" about it you need to train more. Work on the distance control a bit more and "walking" them on to the punch (catching them coming forward) and you definitely have the power to drop people.

Is that gerry cooney? He was my boxing instructor for a good 5 months in 2016.
That's pretty cool Cooney had a hell of a left hook. He is actually a really good fighter to study if you want to work on the left hook.

Not sure if I'd strictly consider myself a boxer as such but I have dabbled in western boxing a few times. I always found when sparring that aggression was key. Hit them fast, hit them hard, hit them first. There are too many limitations to the boxing style. I could always get the better of you with a backfist, long hook, a bong sau, tan sau, lap sau, and let's not even mention if I didn't have rules.

So i thought i'd start a thread about "what kind of boxer are you?" Because i'm curious to how everybody describes their style of boxing.

So are you a jab user? An outside boxer? A pressure fighter? A defensive boxer? Brawler?

To provide positive and constructive input in thread, here is my 2c's! ;)

First thing is that you can not imitate someone else or be them for that matter but learn from them, yeah sure, harnessing those skills and expressing them in your own individual way.

So to describe what I like from the most famous Boxing fighters and adopt the skills with my own body mechanics that I like and enjoy the most are...........
  • Full crouch position
  • Defensive tactics
  • Peek-a-boo
  • Bob and weave
  • Slipping
  • Counter puncher
  • Close quarter
  • Switch hitter
  • Punching by patterns or numbers
  • Foot work attacking and circling out
Are but a few that I like to repeat and cover in my personal training keeping in mind visualizing different attacks and entering strategies.:rolleyes:

Last edited:
I eat 100000 jabs as I try to close the distance

That's pretty cool Cooney had a hell of a left hook. He is actually a really good fighter to study if you want to work on the left hook.

Yeah. Funny thing is everybody says he sucked. I believe he was good. Hes the one who taught me to move my head on the jab.

To provide positive and constructive input in thread, here is my 2c's! ;)

First thing is that you can not imitate someone else or be them for that matter but learn from them, yeah sure, harnessing those skills and expressing them in your own individual way.

So to describe what I like from the most famous Boxing fighters and adopt the skills with my own body mechanics that I like and enjoy the most are...........
  • Full crouch position
  • Defensive tactics
  • Peek-a-boo
  • Bob and weave
  • Slipping
  • Counter puncher
  • Close quarter
  • Switch hitter
  • Punching by patterns or numbers
  • Foot work attacking and circling out
Are but a few that I like to repeat and cover in my personal training keeping in mind visualizing different attacks and entering strategies.:rolleyes:

Ok so you describe yourself as a well rounded fighter?

Well rounded pfft, I don't know but at 47 years of age I know more now than when I was in my teens and twenties.

Knowledge wise, yeah I will say well rounded, on skill unsure, as I am not a pro fighter. I just like personal training and teach my son and daughter what I know.

i use to fight longer keeping guys away till i realized that it wasnt as good for me then started to come in more lieka frankie using my jab and right hand to come over lead hands

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kilgorevontrouty
Back