What Kick Will McGoat Open with?

addtext_com_MTkx_Nj_E4_MTc2_Mz_Qz.jpg

Actually like that pic

If he doesn't attempt Guile's flash kick or Lui Kang's bicycle kick, I won't be impressed by this dude.

Last edited:
Lmao get ur hand off his dick. Got enuf already

And messages like this is why people consider the majority of MMA fans as idiots.

It's like, if you're a big fan of a certain fighter, there's always that one person out there that's going to reply with some crap like spikemma just did right here.

"Oh, you're a fan of this guy? get off his nuts, loser!"

:rolleyes:

It wouldn't be surprising if he did because he likes to do that just to push his opponent back towards the fence so he can immediately take control of the cage.

He isn't always just trying to land these shots, he has a reason for throwing them. He threw that spin kick against Brandao right away just to push him away so he (Conor) can have control of the cage from the get-go.

That's Conor's thing - his game is basically to push you towards the fence, give you very little room and then he can move in and out with strikes much easier while his opponent has such little room to escape/make it more difficult to defend.

If you watch Conor's fights against Holloway, Brandao & Poirier - you will notice that the first thing he does is immediately push them towards the fence and take control of the cage and force them to work. And he also does a hell of a job at keeping his opponent cut off there as well. IMO, Conor cuts the cage off better than anybody on the roster does because he literally doesn't let you off the cage. If his opponent tries to escape, Conor literally jogs back in front of them so they can't get away. You rarely see anybody else do this and he will bait them into counters. He will use that front kick, or spin kick, to make his opponent try to move forward right after so Conor can then counter. He forces them to use their right hand (if they're orthodox, of course) so he can control the lead hand, force you to use the right hand, and he can bait them into it and then he cuts the angle to the left, counters with the left. It's one of his go-to attacks and it has worked wonders for him. The fact Aldo overextends with the right hand so much and sometimes fails to bring his hands back to guard after, I think it will be very interesting vs. Conor.

This is one of the reasons I think he'll be really successful against Aldo because Mendes' used a lot of forward pressure, was really aggressive and threw tons of combinations. He put Aldo on his heels right away and pushed him towards the fence with strikes and actually landed a lot of good ones and dropped Aldo in the first with a left hook when Aldo, IIRC, overextended with the right hand and failed to bring his hand back to guard, which is something you see a lot of Muay Thai strikers do.

Sorry for the long, random message.

Great analysis and Conor bless.

that was a solid breakdown actually.

I'm going to go back and watch his fights from a technical standpoint like this and see what I observe. 10/10 post.

Here's a longer breakdown about Conor's game. You don't really have to read it, just figured you might want some more things to see when you watch his fights.

His fight against Holloway is probably the best example of how he keeps his opponent cut off at the fence, so be sure to check that one out. When Max was trying to move side to side to escape, Conor would basically jog sideways and get in front of him and push him towards the fence again. Also, watch how Conor controls the lead hand. He's constantly reaching out and pushing his opponents hand, using hand traps and such, and forces them to use their right because he's constantly blocking their left. He's always done this from what I remember.

You'll also see how Conor uses that lead uppercut/up jab and follows it up with the rear straight many times in the Holloway fight as well. It's one of his go-to attacks, he's been using this since his days as basically a one-dimensional boxer and even back then it gave him good results.

Just watch how he lands it on Holloway - he feints with his left, and it makes Holloway react and makes him think that the left is coming, so Holloway will start moving away from Conor's power hand and Holloway starts moving his feet to the left, towards Conor's lead (right) hand, and Conor will feint with the left again and it makes Holloway react by putting his head down and Conor will step to the right and come up with the uppercut or upjab, and then follow it with the rear straight. He landed it countless times.

You may notice how he uses the front kick to bait Max in sometimes as well. He will throw the kick to the body and Max will try to counter right after, but then Conor cuts the angle to the left and then counters with the left. This is also one of his go-to attacks.

The best example of Conor using his left hand counter is probably the Ivan Buchinger fight. The one where he got the one-punch KO.

tumblr_mzodrubto51ry1rm7o2_r1_400.gif

It'd be better if I can find a longer gif, but this will have to do.

He was counting on his opponent to attack with the right. Look at Conor's right leg, see how it's inside? meaning, it's inside of his opponent's feet, it looks like Conor's right leg is between his opponent's, you know what I mean?

He has the inside angle on him, so if his opponent throws the right hand, Conor can slip to the left and come back with a counter much easier because of it because he already has the angle to do so.

Conor is standing almost directly in front of him and because of the angle, it looks like Conor will attack with a jab. His opponent probably believes this is what he was going to do because since he had the inside angle like that, a jab can be more effective. His opponent throws the right hand, but Conor was counting on this. Due to him having that angle, being inside with his foot, he can slip and counter easier. So he basically baited his opponent to throw that right hand and when he did, he was able to time him and slip that punch and then come back with the left hand and put him down.

Usually when Conor counters with the left, he doesn't really do this exact thing we see in the gif. He usually moves his feet, he cuts the angle to the left, and then counters with the rear straight. But he made his opponent think he's going to attack with his lead hand, and so his opponent thought to attack with his power hand and Conor had done a great job at baiting him and he already had the inside with his footing, so he slipped and countered.

Against Brandao - this is another good fight of showing Conor wanting to cut his opponent off. I already touched on this in my first post and how he used the spin kick to make Brandao back up. But seriously, watch it, and you will see this. That's the first thing Conor does - he throws the spin kick immediately and it makes Brandao back away and Conor literally took control of the center of the cage from that point on.

It basically forced Brandao to shoot in for a TD as well. He shot in, drove Conor towards the fence and what's impressive is that Conor kept defending Brandao's TD attempts and Brandao actually has some of the highest TD accuracy in the division, believe it or not.

Conor expertly defended his TD attempts and Conor actually got a reversal and ended up on top. I'm sure you remember that part. Then he controlled him very well on the mat which is also impressive because IMO, Diego is one of the most dangerous BJJ guys in the division off of his back and on top with submissions.

Then on the feet again, Conor keeps him cut off and eventually scores the knockdown and gets the TKO.

You can see him do a lot of the same with cutting the cage off against Dustin. Just notice that pretty much the entire fight, Dustin is the one who has his back towards the fence, not Conor. Conor cut him off immediately as well and forced Dustin to work and work and work.

Dustin landed some good shots due to his aggressiveness, but Conor still sized him up, feinted well and dropped him, and then finally, put him away with some ground-and-pound.

Just know that, a lot of Conor's game is based on forward pressure and combinations. He always cuts his opponent off at the fence, mixes it up extremely well with his punches, kicks, knees, etc, and forces them to work. If they try to escape and get away from the fence, he basically jogs back in front of them. He doesn't give them any room, he doesn't really let them breathe. The fact they have such little room is one of the reasons Conor is so effective because he's able to move in and out with strikes, he can counter much better because of this and his opponent can't move that much. They can only do so much when their back is towards the fence and it gives Conor all the freedom to basically do what ever he wants.

In his fight with Siver, try to keep some of this in mind because we may see quite a few bits and pieces of what I mentioned about his game.

Sorry for the long message. Just thought you might want to see a little more in his fights.

To add to what 209 said... the inside footing he takes to land tht one shot KO is a "no no" within southpaw community. When a southpaw is against an orthodox fighter the front hands are all but cancelled out. You want to position yourself to land the rear hand and doing it from that angle is awkward and comes across the body hurting it's effectiveness.

Like 209 said, McGregor did this on purpose to bait his opponent to throw his rear hand. He hops back and to the left to avoid and fires off his counter rear straight left.

Breaking rules to set up a ko counter is beautiful to watch.

That lead uppercut/up jab works wonders for him.

He does a really good job at feinting with the left and making his opponent react, then he'll make it look like he's going to throw it and he'll come with the lead uppercut/up jab and then follows it up with the rear straight.

He landed that on Max countless times. The way he would make him react and make him think the left is coming, make Max move to the right, away from Conor's power side and then he'll basically confuse him and make it look like the left hand is coming again but then attacks with the lead uppercut/up jab and THEN the cross. It's really awesome to watch IMO.

Conor really shines against orthodox fighters because he can control their lead hand much better and he can do that lead uppercut and cross a lot more. It's one of his go-to attacks, you always see him do it but he sets it up so well. He really confuses his opponents with it, and he used those tempo changes better than pretty much anybody I've ever seen. Condit is pretty good at it and so is Nick Diaz IMO, they use tempo changes really well.

I think he's going to give Aldo a very, very hard time and I honestly do think he's going to beat him on the feet. Aldo has so much pride and I know he's going to want to fight Conor on the feet and if things aren't going his way, he may want to try to take Conor down.

I truly do believe that Conor is going to be the man to take the belt from Jose Aldo. Most people will call me crazy, but it's just my opinion and I don't really want to break that down because it would be a pretty long post and this is about Conor/Siver.

That said, I see Conor catching Siver with a left high kick and either that finishes him, or it hurts him and Conor gets the job done with some ground-and-pound. The way Siver really favours that lead left hook, he often drops his right hand and Conor's timing with that LHK is great, I think he's going to land that in this fight against Siver and hurt him real bad.

That, or he's going to bait Siver into throwing and Conor will catch him with the rear straight or uppercut. I say uppercut because Siver, again, likes to duck his head down, drop the right hand (the one you're supposed to be protecting with) and he throws the lead hook, I think Conor may catch him with the uppercut then.

Just my opinion though.

I don't see Siver making it out of the first round and I won't be surprised if Conor finishes him in less than 2 minutes, like he said, honestly.

Someone's been reading Jack Slacks breakdowns

Every single kick ever invented in 10 seconds.

Someone's been reading Jack Slacks breakdowns

I actually haven't, lol.

The only full article I read from him was about TJ Dillashaw beating Renan Barao. At least that's all I can remember.

I probably should check out more of his stuff though because he definitely does give some pretty insightful breakdowns and I prefer to read things about the more technical aspect of striking and such instead of what most people are like on here.

I'm wagering in a Turkish crescent kick.

Something different.

He will do his question mark kick that Siver will partially block but he will still go down, like he was shot by a sniper, and stay down for fixed fight #3

The feared and mighty Van Damme split kick between two sinks ofcourse!

Back