What I've learned watching Copa Podio

Agree with most of those except that I think the top game thing is more of a HW thing. Lighter weights it's often a battle of who can pull guard first so as to sweep, and that's often a winning strategy. And I wouldn't necessarily call the Buchecha match a fluke. It's not like Rodolfo was winning and got caught in a quick sub. That was a back and forth match with both guys leaving it all on the map. Rodolfo might end up winning a rematch, but that doesn't mean it was a fluke the first time.

Although I don't believe it was a fluke I do believe Rodolfo is the better fighter of the two... on route to Rodolfo's double gold at the 2011 mundials he subbed Buchecha... and steam rolled through every one else... Buchecha's amazing double gold at last years mundials was super impressive... but he did scrape through by the skin of his teeth against Rodolfo and Leo Nogueira

I still think Rodolfo is the better fighter but Buchecha has an agressive heart, sometimes this is what you need in high level competition.

Leandro Lo plans to make the move to middle weight, which i feel has less overall competition. Marcelo and Claudio are the only guys i see him losing to...and maybe DJ Jackson.

Kron defeated Lo once, and I think he can do it again (MW)

I learned that I prefer a 20 min, submission only match, to a 6 minute match that is won by an advantage.

I would love to see these guys go further and find out what would happen at the 12, 15 or the 20 minute mark.

My thoughts exactly. Copa Podio's PPV streaming issues aside, the Metamoris format was way more exciting.

I think that was a funny moment however; IIRC, Rodolfo has a lapse in concentration (he looks to the clock?) and gets dumped on his back.

Buchecha's hyper-aggressive game was key to beating Rodolfo - he has mean leglocks and as such attacks from so many angles. He's very dynamic and that's hard to stifle, even for Rodolfo.

It's a classic story, if you are one dimensional, then a guy who is stronger than you just has to shut that game down ... then it's over. And most of the HW guys are fairly one dimensional.

Buchecha has a game that stylistically reminds me of JJM in that he attacks so relentlessly from every angle that there is no way to shut the game down.

Although I don't believe it was a fluke I do believe Rodolfo is the better fighter of the two... on route to Rodolfo's double gold at the 2011 mundials he subbed Buchecha... and steam rolled through every one else... Buchecha's amazing double gold at last years mundials was super impressive... but he did scrape through by the skin of his teeth against Rodolfo and Leo Nogueira

exactly.

i love the fact that both of these guys are really young, still improving and already have a decent rivalry going on. they might be the next xande and roger, except with more excitement in their matches.

It's a classic story, if you are one dimensional, then a guy who is stronger than you just has to shut that game down ... then it's over. And most of the HW guys are fairly one dimensional.

Buchecha has a game that stylistically reminds me of JJM in that he attacks so relentlessly from every angle that there is no way to shut the game down.

I don't really think of Rodolfo as one dimensional. His TD and guard passing game are super active, he moves well on top and I've seen him catch plenty of people from mount, back, etc. His guard game is very aggressive and IMO underrated, we just don't get to see it that often because he's always on top. Just because his go-to game works so well so consistently that we don't see his backup stuff doesn't mean he doesn't have secondary options.

Takedown/wrestling style sweeps or standups are money in the heavier weights. No sense in wasting energy against a base you can't get underneath; pop up the other direction.
Rodolfo's guard seems very aggressive, from what I've seen of it.
Regarding Zankou's comment on JJM and Buchecha- I think that's the best way to play the game. If you're always threatening the finish, achieving good position is pretty easy.

Takedown/wrestling style sweeps or standups are money in the heavier weights. No sense in wasting energy against a base you can't get underneath; pop up the other direction.
Rodolfo's guard seems very aggressive, from what I've seen of it.
Regarding Zankou's comment on JJM and Buchecha- I think that's the best way to play the game. If you're always threatening the finish, achieving good position is pretty easy.

One thing my old instructor used to say: If you go points you'll never catch a sub. If you go for subs you'll rack up tons of points. I tend to think being submission oriented is simply the correct way to play BJJ, but I also think it's more effective than being a point/advantage fighter. Almost all the best guys have very submission oriented styles.

One thing my old instructor used to say: If you go points you'll never catch a sub. If you go for subs you'll rack up tons of points. I tend to think being submission oriented is simply the correct way to play BJJ, but I also think it's more effective than being a point/advantage fighter. Almost all the best guys have very submission oriented styles.

Agreed 100%. The checkmate is the whole point, right?

Agreed 100%. The checkmate is the whole point, right?

For sure. BJJ without subs is like sex without orgasms. You can certainly do it, and it's better than none at all, but it's hardly satisfying.

I don't really think of Rodolfo as one dimensional. His TD and guard passing game are super active, he moves well on top and I've seen him catch plenty of people from mount, back, etc. His guard game is very aggressive and IMO underrated, we just don't get to see it that often because he's always on top. Just because his go-to game works so well so consistently that we don't see his backup stuff doesn't mean he doesn't have secondary options.

I meant his opponents.

I learnt that Keenans guard is at least defensively on the elite black belt level but his guard passing isn't.

Xande couldn't pass his guard and Rodolfo took some time to do it but once he worked out how to do it, he did it again.

Xande swept him pretty easily.

[...] I also realized that Keenan has some holes in his game that he's got to shore up before any talk of black belt. Even though he just got promoted people are talking like he should've just skipped brown completely.

Well, he would definitely not be in the bottom of the black belt food chain if it happened. The question is whether his coach should withhold the promotion until he's ready to be competitive with the best of the best, so he could go directly from killing browns to killing blacks.

Agree with most of those except that I think the top game thing is more of a HW thing. Lighter weights it's often a battle of who can pull guard first so as to sweep, and that's often a winning strategy. And I wouldn't necessarily call the Buchecha match a fluke. It's not like Rodolfo was winning and got caught in a quick sub. That was a back and forth match with both guys leaving it all on the map. Rodolfo might end up winning a rematch, but that doesn't mean it was a fluke the first time.

It was actually like the 3rd time they fought. Rodolfo submitted him the year before and beat him by points another time I believe.

Back