What is your warmup for ur school

we have a big tatame, so we usually jog around that for a bit, sideways, backward, high knees, butt kicks, then usually jumping jacks, pushups, situps, stretch out, then start learning technique, then drilling, then rolling. i myself stretch out after that. i want to start waking up early before work and doing crossfit.

The warmups at most dojo aren't so good. Sounds like yours is pretty good, Boston, but I can't say that's a typical example.

Thing is that most schools start by stretching. This is an idea that was made popular in the 70's, and sadly so many martial artists and sport coaches swear to it that it's going to be hard to change. The problem with it is that if your muscles aren't warm to begin with, stretching them increases the risk of damage to the tissue. Ever stretch a cold rubber band? Muscles aren't too much different.

The optimal stretching temperature for muscles is 102

Interesting ^

I usually warm up with about 10 minutes of slow roll then go to technique then rolling again.

We do some jumping jacks 3 minutes, hindu squats or pushups for 3 minutes, and doing shoulder rolls around the mat for a while, but each day is different.

Generally:

3 sets of jumping jacks (3variations per set), variations of pushups sit ups and squats
breakfalls, egg-beaters, triangles (hips up), reaching for the cross-choke (feet up as in the guard), bridges, bridge to knees--circle back to the guard, side kick technical lift (standing up properly) sprawl, round kicks from the ground, grapplers lift (thrusting up without using your hands), crab walks--3 variations, shrimps, low walk shots, army crawls,
all interspersed with shots and fit ins for takedowns. i prolly missed some stuff in there.

none! just told to do on our own, which means basically none.
that has some good and bad.

I been to schools with extensive warmups and it can mess me up for the rest of the day,
I cant pay attention to the techniques portion because I'm too busy catching wind, and then
booom now we have to spar! Oh shit.

Eclypse said:
The warmups at most dojo aren't so good. Sounds like yours is pretty good, Boston, but I can't say that's a typical example.

Thing is that most schools start by stretching. This is an idea that was made popular in the 70's, and sadly so many martial artists and sport coaches swear to it that it's going to be hard to change. The problem with it is that if your muscles aren't warm to begin with, stretching them increases the risk of damage to the tissue. Ever stretch a cold rubber band? Muscles aren't too much different.

The optimal stretching temperature for muscles is 102

jogging for around 15 minutes, with some high knees, sprints, side ways, sprawls, reverses, etc. just the regular stuff to get your blood flowing and sweating.

we just go straight in to rolling do that for about 35 minutes and then learn technique ofr the rest

everyone usually comes to class though and stretches out first cause youre suppose to start out light when you do your first roll but usually everyone just jumps right in to it not the best warmup in my opinion

we do roll overs, back rolls, and shrimps.. 2 times across the mat for each.. Then start technique.. I know we should do more but everyone is lazy..

Come on now. It's getting cold again. He's having us running and push-ups again.

Strech, 15 minutes of various running, about 150 various jumping jacks, pushups, A SHIT LOAD OF SITUPS, strech, then various forums of another warmups(mostly cardio)...few different techniques for about 45 minutes, then rolling for 30-45mins(5-8 min matches)

VampireMonk said:
I been to schools with extensive warmups and it can mess me up for the rest of the day,
I cant pay attention to the techniques portion because I'm too busy catching wind, and then
booom now we have to spar! Oh shit.
Yeah, that's the problem with strength training as a warmup. Lots of schools espouse doing pushups and situps, but then when you get into the technique and sparring parts of class, your muscles are already weakened and won't come back to 100% for as long as hours later. Then your technique falls apart. I suppose it would be somewhat good, though, as it can represent how fatigued you can get when actually fighting.

Regardless, a good warmup should consist of some light activity, like a moderate walk, before stretching, if that's what your school teaches or what you do. It shouldn't make you pant or even breathe much harder than usual, and you certainly shouldn't feel your pulse pounding.

Stretching before martial arts practice is a good idea, though it's not always so applicable for most types of strength training. Honestly, a light warmup will increase your flexibility just by increasing the muscle temperature, though not to its fullest.

BostonBadBoy said:
we have a big tatame, so we usually jog around that for a bit, sideways, backward, high knees, butt kicks, then usually jumping jacks, pushups, situps, stretch out, then start learning technique, then drilling, then rolling. i myself stretch out after that. i want to start waking up early before work and doing crossfit.

That sounds a lot like our pattern. Mat laps, sideways, high knees, mini-sprints ... every few laps drop for 10 pushups or 50 crunches ... sometimes cartwheels, round-offs and elbow escapes up and down the mat, and some overall stretching. Then technique, drill, spar.

Back