What is your favorite poor person meal?

So one night when I was broke years ago I was looking for what to have for dinner. Basically I combined the last things I had left.
I poached a chicken breast in stock, and I microwaved a tin of cheesy tomato spaghetti and dumped that on top of the chicken breast.
Man, I was astounded how good it tasted. It was amazing (and not because I was starving). I nicknamed it 'survival chicken'. I highly recommend it (if you poach the chicken just right)

Growing up one of best friends parents were addicts
They did not have money

One day we got about 5 bucks flipping dollars with the kids on the south stairwell. We took his younger sister and cousins who were all crashing at his gov pad to mcds. We got three hot n spicys with water and nuggets. The nuggets were pretty damn good. My friends sister and cousin ate em went outside made themselves throw up, then came back in and told the manager the food made em throw up and they wanted a new order.

But yea a hot n spicy with a cup of water is that good life

I never make more food than I need. I've learned to ration exactly how much I'll eat and this has saved me a ton when I buy groceries. Like a box of Kraft macaroni. I never dump in the entire thing. I'll pour out 3/4 of a cup, dump just a portion of the cheese packet in and put it all back into the cupboard. Certain foods don't make good leftovers and when you're only cooking for yourself I often don't need the entire thing.

I've learned to do the same thing with edibles and it's a life changer. If you want to make one brownie to annihilate you just pour in 1 cup of brownie mix, 3/4 of an egg, 2 tablespoons of water, 1/3 cup of cannabis infused coconut oil and a drop of lecithin. No sense in wasting an ounce of weed.

There was a time I survived on the "sandwich diet". I'm talking that 50 cent bread

Breakfast-egg sandwich
Five hours later-peanut butter sandwich
Dinner-grilled cheese and ramen.

One of my go to meals was to fry up a little garlic in olive oil, throw some cooked spaghetti in the pan with some cracked pepper, and just mix that up. If I was rich that day I’d buy a tomato, chop it up and toss it in. It's simple, cheap, but tasty.

Still make that as a side dish occasionally.

Last edited:
Vienna sausages, colby jack cheese and saltine crackers
My wife reminisced about Vienna sausages recently, so being a thoughtful husband, I bought some home. That shit is nasty and I've ruined a cherished childhood memory.
As a young sailor in my first apartment (with room mates of course) I once cooked pasta and used ranch dressing for sauce. To this day I'm surprised this isn't a thing.

This right here is 24 cents usd.

images

Air and tap water.

Last edited:
I never make more food than I need. I've learned to ration exactly how much I'll eat and this has saved me a ton when I buy groceries. Like a box of Kraft macaroni. I never dump in the entire thing. I'll pour out 3/4 of a cup, dump just a portion of the cheese packet in and put it all back into the cupboard. Certain foods don't make good leftovers and when you're only cooking for yourself I often don't need the entire thing.

I've learned to do the same thing with edibles and it's a life changer. If you want to make one brownie to annihilate you just pour in 1 cup of brownie mix, 3/4 of an egg, 2 tablespoons of water, 1/3 cup of cannabis infused coconut oil and a drop of lecithin. No sense in wasting an ounce of weed.

Do you save 1/4 of egg every time you make one brownie? And then after making 4 you make the 5th one with 4 combined egg quarts?

It's about four bucks. Dice two tomatoes, half a white onion, and cilantro. A pair of decent jalapenos. Serrano, if you're Ms Jackson. Juice of one lime and salt.

Makes about a good pint or quart of salsa fresca to brighten your meals.

I make this all the time. Sometimes I'll char the tomatoes, peppers, onion and garlic(if that's your thing) in a dry cast iron skillet until almost burned before chopping/blending. Makes for a unique and amazing flavor. Scramble some eggs with black beans, toast up some corn tortillas, build your taco with your homemade fresca/salsa. Cheap Simple Delicious

184.JPG

Free if you bring your own stick, good with honey mustard dip, and an ice cold brewski

Back