What is your favorite Alice in Chains studio album?

What is your favorite Alice in Chains studio album?

• Facelift (1990)

Votes: 2 7.4%
  • Sap (1992)

Votes: 1 3.7%
  • Dirt (1992)

Votes: 17 63.0%
  • Jar of Flies (1994)

Votes: 7 25.9%
  • Alice in Chains (1995)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Black Gives Way to Blue (2009)

• The Devil Put Dinosaurs Here (2013)

• Rainier Fog (2018)

• Total voters

Philo-Publius

Gold Belt
@Gold
Reaction score
Alice_In_Chains-Facelift.jpg

Alice_in_Chains_Sap.jpg

Dirt_%28Alice_in_Chains_album_-_cover_art%29.jpg

Alice_in_Chains_Jar_of_Flies.jpg

Alice_in_Chains_%28album%29.jpg

AIC_FINAL_COVERsmall.jpg

AliceinChainsTheDevilPutDinosaursHere.png

Alice_in_Chains_-_Rainier_Fog.jpg

Dirt is my personal fave followed by Tripod as 2nd fave.

Dirt is one of my favorite heavy albums ever. Great from one end to the other. Still a staple on my gym tuneage rotation after all this time.

My ranking:

8. Rainier Fog
7. Jar of Flies
6. Facelift
5. The Devil Put Dinosaurs Here
4. Black Gives Way to Blue
3. Alice in Chains
2. Sap
1. Dirt

Jar of Flies, followed closely by Dirt.

Jar of Flies is a masterpiece I can listen to any day from start to finish.

Dirt I have to be in a particularly gloomy or nihilistic mood; in my opinion, it gets really bogged down going through the Iron Gland-Hate to Feel-Angry Chair songs... the rest of the album is fantastic.

Neither Jar of Flies or Sap were studio albums..............(if you want to be technical).

That said the Jar of Flies/Sap packaged release was my favourite.

Depressing they are almost 30 years old.

Jar of Flies, Sap, and Unplugged are my favorites. Dirt and self titled are behind, not sure which I'd put ahead of the other, then Facelift, the stuff post Layne are just Jerry Cantrell solo albums essentially as they don't sound any different than his solo stuff. I know Jerry wrote most of AIC's songs, but listen to Mad Season's Above and you can hear things that Layne brought to the band (I mean I Don't Know Anything sounds exactly like something from AIC's self titled album).

Talented group. It's a shame Layne Stanley is no longer with us. RIP

Neither Jar of Flies or Sap were studio albums..............(if you want to be technical).

That said the Jar of Flies/Sap packaged release was my favourite.

Depressing they are almost 30 years old.
Yeah, I didn't want to exclude them though...

Picked Jar of Flies just because it's such a beautiful album but Dirt is the most consistent.

Facelift created a new genre of music. My least favorite song on the whole thing is 'man in the box.'

It fluctuates for me between dirt, flies, and facelift. Flies might be too short, but it's a short masterpiece.

Dirt is better top to bottom but Jar of Flies has more of my favorites (Nutshell and I Stay Away namely). Flip a coin.

Facelift. It's the most heavy metal sounding record of their discography. 2nd is Dirt. 3rd is the Jar of Flies EP, followed by Unplugged. Their worst album is the three legged dog. Never got into it.

Really? As of now, I'm the only one who voted for Facelift.

I'm also a fan of their pre-Facelift stuff. They were more hair/speed metal and funkier back then:

I also prefer the demo version of Sunshine. It's faster and more aggressive sounding than the one on Facelift:

I'm also a fan of their pre-Facelift stuff. They were more hair/speed metal and funkier back then:

I also prefer the demo version of Sunshine. It's faster and more aggressive sounding than the one on Facelift:

I had never even heard of "music bank" before. Going to have to check that out.

Last edited:
Back