What is your class organization?

PhillyD45

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I take a catch wrestling class and it follows this schedule for the most part:

#1: Streching

#2: Technique from position explained and demonstrated. Suggest things to do from there or things to look out for (both instructor and students add knowledge).

#3: Technique from position practice w/ instructor watching and helping.

#4: Live position roll. Start at position of the day and roll to submission for 1 min. Try and use that day's technique if posible. 1 top side roll and 1 bottom side roll per partener. We roll w/ about 5 partners.

#5:One more technique from position and same plan as #2 - #4 with 2nd technique of the day.

#6: Water break

#7: Mouth pieces in!

#8: Live roll from standing. We do Takedown to submission 1 min matches for the last 45 mins to an hour. It's hardcore rolling from standing start. Therefore you must take your opponent down and submit him (or he you) in a minute.

When the class is done we are all gassed and it takes a little while for us to get off the mat. I was just wondering how your class is similar or different.

30 minutes warm up/sport specific cardio

30 minutes drilling and techniques

30 minutes rolling (which is optional - I find it really strange, but about half the class leaves without rolling.)

We also have one hour classes which are generally 20/20/20.

Our classes are divided up into beginner and advanced sections. Usually, everyone trains in both with the understanding that the techniques taught in the advanced portion may be over the heads of the newer people. They are welcome to drill them or they can sit off on the side until it's time to roll.

I teach the beginner portion of class that is 30 minutes and consists of:

10 - 15 minutes of warm-ups
15 - 20 minutes of instruction and drilling

Then my coach teaches the advanced portion of the class which is:

15 minutes of instruction and drilling
30 minutes of rolling

OR

45 minutes of rolling

warm ups:

Cardio 20 minutes

BreakFalling 10-15

Newaza - 15-20

Technique 20 minutes

Randori wahteveri s left we go 1,5 to 2 hours

Now during the summer thou we are going to be very technique heavy at my main place 30 minutes warmup and breakfalling then technique for the rest, one stnading techniuque, blocks of 10-15 minutes wqith one entry/combo and some light sub/escapes drilling in between

Other place is

30-45 minutes warmup/cardio/strength 15-20 minutes tedchnique and the rest randori

most often 30 mins, 3 minute matches either ground or standing, 1 minute rest

Warm-up

We are taught a takedown then a series of techniques

We position grapple from wherever we were working that day

End class formally

Then half hour open mat

come in and stretch ourselves out for about 10 minutes, 50 minutes of technique and drilling, then 40 minutes of sparring

about 15 minutes for warmups.

15-20 minute for drilling techniques

half hour for timed 5 minute rounds.

Half hour for open mat time.

Usually everyone stretches before class.

Warmups 15-20 minutes. Laps around the mat, break falls, shrimping
Followed by some combo of elbow escapes from the mount into armbars from inside the guard and standing guard passes back into mount.

40-45 minutes drilling. Usually 3 techniques that transition into each other or start from the same position. Like armbar from cross-side, inverted armbar from corss-side, and an armlock from cross side. Or Triangle set-up, armbar in traingle, transition to omoplata from triangle.

1 hour rolling. Usually it is free rolling from the knees until tap. Occasionally we'll start from a specific position and do King-of-the-hill. So starting from guard, winner is first to pass guard or sweep.

Open mats until everyone leaves.

30 mins - warmups, calisthenics, laps, falls, rolls, shrimping, pushups, situps, stretching

30 mins - drilling + technique

20-30 mins - guard passing/defending (live rolling intensity)

20-30 mins - rolling

Usually, we do light rolling for the first 20 minutes to half hour to get completely warm. Then we do technique for about a half hour, and then finish up with a half hour of real rolling.

Back